+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Couch To 5K in General; Originally Posted by hawc I got to W2R1 then my knee decided to do it's normal really painfulness so I ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hawc View Post
    I got to W2R1 then my knee decided to do it's normal really painfulness so I am out of the club for at least 3 months.
    Sorry to here that @hawc I had a problem with my knee but I bought some proper running shoes and that has made a huge difference. I've also been running with a double thickness of tubigrip on my knee for support and that has helped as does the ice pack afterwards and a liberal application of Volterol prior to my run.

Don't worry, that 3 months will soon go and you'll be back up and running again, just don't lose sight of your goals.

Thank Post
    Well done to everyone one still pressing play. Unfortuanutly I have joined the list of casualties

Started this in Jan and got ready to destroy W5R1....and then spent most of last week flat on my back due to a nasty tweak while putting my shoes on Up and walking about again now but going to be at least another two weeks before I can hit the road again.

Thank Post
    Need to wait for a letter with an appointment to have it MRI'd so we can see what the damage is. This is not just one off. I had a thread about this earlier.

Thank Post
    Thanks to all of the posts on here, I too have found the couch to 5k programme and downloaded all of the podcasts. up until 4 years a go I was relatively fit, playing football regularly etc... 2 kids later and any attempts at running have found me struggling. I think I still have the mindset of 4 years ago and the body is just not in that same place! I really need to start again and this looks like just the thing.

Has anyone been doing the strength and flex programme along side the couch to 5k? Have they found it helps?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I gave up a couple of weeks back. Combination of bad mood (locked myself out of my house) and shin splins.

Saw Beeb program dissecting the foot the other day that explained exactly why I was getting shin splins. Bad advice in the podcasts about trying to put your heel down first - not how your foot is designed to work!

Bought a treadmill the other week and have started again barefoot - much, much better. Also picked up a rowing machine, very interesting exercise. Going out fir my first Bike ride this Saturday.

Probably over doing it, but U'm determined to get rid of this mid section!

Thank Post
    Not read the thread but i did a bit of the couch to 5 k last year, I used to play rugby and footy but had been stagnent for a few year. I found it really hard. To start with been out of breath and THINKING i couldnt go on.
    I am now a member of a running club and doing the GNR and another half marathon this year if my hernia op goes ok.
    What I would say to knowing what i know now. Is people when they start running , run to fast. Take it easy with the speed to start with and your mind is probably the thing that is holding you back, your mind will say no before your body does.
    If your body is hurting then you are doing something wrong, im not talking about a bit of DOM's but if you have knee pain or any pain really then there is something wrong with your technique.
    Have a look at chi running, I have changed to this/natural running and its much more efficient.
    tmcd35 dont know what podcasts you have been listening to but heal strike is really bad that causes all kinds of injury especially shin splints.
    Landing on the ball of your foot will use your ligaments in your feet giving you more spring and 'free' energy.

But to all, keep going and dont give up as soon as you can do 5k with out stopping no matter how slow you will start to find it lots easier

Thank Post
    I had my race number come today which has suddenly made it a whole lot more real. A week on Sunday, my first bit of competitive running for 40 years ... <<GULP>>

Thank Post
    Just finished week 8 and decided to go out with a bang. Only got a week to go now until my 5k race so from now on it's all about distance for me rather than minutes. I've just completed my first 5k run in over 40 years in just 36 minutes (my target was 40 - 45).

If someone had told me just a few weeks ago that I would be capable of running 5 kilometres I would have laughed at them. I'm looking forward to my race now next Sunday with a renewed confidence.

If anyone is reading this thread thinking they'll never be able to run, think again. This plan has been fantastic for me and I will be keeping up with the running once its finished. Right then, lets bring on Week 9.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Well done @HarryMonkey !

10. Thanks to witch from:

HarryMonkey (3rd March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    nice one i'm stepping up my game a bit this week, hope to have a park run done again before the end of March.

Thank Post
    Well, here it is at last. The culmination of all of the hard work ... Week 9 Run 3. The final run in the program and my first race for 40 years ... The MK Festival of Running 5k race. I'm actually looking forward to it as a test of how far I've come in the last 9 weeks.

If anyone would like to sponsor me, you can do by clicking on the link below or text SNMK55 and either 5 10 15 20 etc to 70070.

Thanks for all of the support over the last 9 weeks.

http://t.co/CTR6BseCgz

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryMonkey View Post
    Well, here it is at last. The culmination of all of the hard work ... Week 9 Run 3. The final run in the program and my first race for 40 years ... The MK Festival of Running 5k race. I'm actually looking forward to it as a test of how far I've come in the last 9 weeks.

If anyone would like to sponsor me, you can do by clicking on the link below or text SNMK55 and either 5 10 15 20 etc to 70070.

Thanks for all of the support over the last 9 weeks.

Steve Newman is fundraising for Macmillan Cancer Support
    Good luck!

EDIT

I have sponsored you too
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 9th March 2014 at 07:41 AM.

Thank Post
    Smashed it !!!!

Had an initial target of 40 mins, came in on 29:59. I was over the moon.

Thanks for all the support from everyone (moral and financial).10k next year?? ... Maybe

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Very well done!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts

Well done!

You know you've done good when witch gets her pompoms out!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast