+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Couch To 5K in General; Originally Posted by Sam_Brown Good for you. I found the first 5k the hardest barrier to break. I think you'll ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Brown View Post
    Good for you. I found the first 5k the hardest barrier to break. I think you'll be surprised once you can run 5k non stop on a regular basis how much easier it gets to just increase that distance. It took me maybe 3 months to get from 0 - 5k and feel comfortable at it but then only an additional two weeks to go from 5k to 10k.
    Thanks. I'm looking forward to doing 5k regularly. There are so many places to run here in MK that it seems almost rude not to

W4R1 was tough but R3 was soooo much better today. Bring on Week 5 on Tuesday.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Just about to do the first run... I haven't seen this side of 7am (without pulling an all nighter) in a very long time...

EDIT: I think my heart is going to come out of my mouth... that's normal, right?
    Last edited by LosOjos; 4th February 2014 at 07:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Yes @LosOjos, that's normal lol.

Well done to you for giving it a go. I found that the hardest bit was getting the motivation to get out of the door for that first time so you've done that bit. I got such a buzz from that first run and still get that same sense on achievement every time. I'm about to start week 5 tonight and can't wait to get going.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

4. Thanks to HarryMonkey from:

LosOjos (4th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryMonkey View Post
    Yes @LosOjos, that's normal lol.

Well done to you for giving it a go. I found that the hardest bit was getting the motivation to get out of the door for that first time so you've done that bit. I got such a buzz from that first run and still get that same sense on achievement every time. I'm about to start week 5 tonight and can't wait to get going.

Keep us posted on how you get on.
    Thanks yeah getting up this morning was tough and as I was doing the run I had convinced myself I wouldn't make it. Once the pounding chest, jelly legs and breathlessness passed though lol I felt good for it

Next run is Thursday, hoping to eventually build up to a point I can participate in the Park Runs people have been posting, I'm only 5 minutes away from Walsall Arboretum where they've recently started doing it

Thank Post
    Well done everyone on this thread

I'm onto W5R3 next - my last one had 2 x 8 minutes runs with a 5 min walk in the middle. I'm so chuffed I can run these sorts of times, and definitely planning to keep it up. I am noticing that my heart rate goes up much less dramatically, and I am recovering much quicker. Love the fact that Laura on the podcasts pointed out that this is my body becoming fitter

Oh, and @Sam_Brown - PUP

7. 3 Thanks to ICTLady:

HarryMonkey (4th February 2014), LosOjos (4th February 2014), Sam_Brown (5th February 2014)

Thank Post
    completed W1R1 yesterday, seems like a long way to go until 5k at the moment but I am sure in time that will seem more achievable! Since it hasn't been long since I broke my foot oddly, I decided for now to have 1 day break in between each run whilst I get into the swing of things but I was actually gutted this morning when I realised that means I can't go onto R2 until tomorrow. This mind-set is more than a bit alien to me right now but I ain't complaining!

Thank Post
    Wahoo, I completed W5R3 yesterday - 20 minutes of running without a break! It's the first night that I've felt a bit miserable about going out there but I think that was the weather. Felt so proud of myself afterwards

Well done @nyiss and hope you continue to enjoy it.

10. Thanks to ICTLady from:

nyiss (7th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Well done Harry Monkey and everyone else.

Needing to loose a bit after years on not doing much exercise, started going on the treadmill and croos trainer which I invested in. May give the Couch to 5K a go now that days are lighter. Sound like good fun.

Good luck Everyone.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nyiss View Post
    completed W1R1 yesterday, seems like a long way to go until 5k at the moment but I am sure in time that will seem more achievable! Since it hasn't been long since I broke my foot oddly, I decided for now to have 1 day break in between each run whilst I get into the swing of things but I was actually gutted this morning when I realised that means I can't go onto R2 until tomorrow. This mind-set is more than a bit alien to me right now but I ain't complaining!
    You should be having a day's rest between runs anyway; it gives your body time to recover before you put it under more pressure. If you don't give yourself time to recover, you just keep doing more and more tissue damage until you end up with a serious injury that puts you out of action for weeks or even months which will massively hinder your progress. Don't feel guilty about having a day off - your body needs it!

I completed W1R2 this morning, surprised that it felt quite a bit easier, I expected it to take at least three weeks before I noticed any marked improvement.

13. Thanks to LosOjos from:

nyiss (7th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I completed W1R2 this morning, surprised that it felt quite a bit easier, I expected it to take at least three weeks before I noticed any marked improvement.
    Thanks for the advice I finished R2 today and after reading your post I hoped that it would also be that bit easier but I thought it was actually slightly more difficult than R1. I think the problem was that i accidently ran faster, getting back to my house too early and having to lap the cal-de-sac for the end walk so now my neighbours think im weird -.-

Thank Post
    I did W5R2 the other day and found to my great surprise that by half way through the recovery walk after the first 8 minute run I was ready to start running again.

W5R3 tomorrow ... a straight 20 minute run. I suspect that will be a whole different matter!!

Thank Post
    Start Week 7 today. That's it now, no more recovery walks, it's all straight running. I did W6R3 on Sunday and that wasn't too bad, just a straight 25 minute run, but from here on in it's going to be tough I think. Three 25 minute runs this week. I just hope and pray that my knee holds out although, it does appear to be improving.

How is everyone else getting on?

Thank Post
    I'm about to do W8R1 tonight. Found W7 hard work but not too hard. For the second two, I listened to my own music instead of the podcast, and have also experimented with some new routes, which has helped loads.

How did W7 go for you, @HarryMonkey?

Thank Post
    I got to W2R1 then my knee decided to do it's normal really painfulness so I am out of the club for at least 3 months.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTLady View Post
    I'm about to do W8R1 tonight. Found W7 hard work but not too hard. For the second two, I listened to my own music instead of the podcast, and have also experimented with some new routes, which has helped loads.

How did W7 go for you, @HarryMonkey?
    I was dreading it a bit ... no longer the luxury of a recovery walk but I was pleasantly surprised. R1 was just a complete buzz, I didn't want to stop, I upped the pace for the last minute and actually got a minute or two into the warmdown walk and just found that I had to start running again!!!

R2 was much harder as I was away for a few days and whilst I had a lovely park to run in (Bradgate Park in Leics), it was an "out and back" run and the second half was hard as I had the wind in my face and it was slightly uphill, there were points when it was all I could do to battle against the wind and keep going.

R3 was on Sunday and I was back on home ground and I found it much better, it's strange because I seem to get stronger as the run goes on, the last minute I was able to really stride out and was much more relaxed.

I start W8 tonight and can't believe it's less than two weeks before my race, I'm nervous but really looking forward to it at the same time. I had my Macmillan race top arrive last week and that really brought it home.

If someone had told me that in just 9 weeks I would be capable of running a 5k race I would have laughed them out of the room, now I can't wait.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast