+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Data useage on mobile contracts in General; ...

Thank Post

Data useage on mobile contracts

My 12 month SIM-only deal from T-Mobile has come to an end and I was looking at other options. It's amazing what you can get for £5 or £7 a month.

I notice Virgin mobile do a VIP deal £15/month unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data.

I wanted to see what unlimited data meant and came across this hidden away in their terms and conditions

Unlimited mobile internet is subject to a fair use allowance of 1GB per month. If your usage exceeds this amount then we reserve the right to charge you for the excessive element of your usage at the daily rate for your tariff outlined in our Tariff Table. Unlimited use is within the UK and is for your personal, non-commercial use only. It doesn't include making internet phone or video calls, peer to peer file sharing, using your phone as a modem, or while you are abroad and any of these uses will be charged at the daily rate for your tariff outlined in our Tariff Table.

Does Unlimited really mean 1GB per month? I hardly call this unlimited when other providers such as T-Mobile have 3GB/month (which they don't claim to be Unlimited).

To make matters even worse they have other SIM-only deals with "1GB Data" (not called "Unlimited Data"). So here we have 1GB Data and Unlimited Data, whereas it appears they are both infact the same data plan????

Surely this cannot be legal under Trades Descriptions?

Bruce.
    Last edited by Bruce123; 11th January 2014 at 12:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Virgin always sail close to the wind and their data usage caps are shocking.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,897 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce123 View Post
    Surely this cannot be legal under Trades Descriptions?
    Is it perfectly legal.

It's allowed because the British Advertising Standards Authority says so. The ASA's official stance, as set out by the Committee of Advertising Practice, is thus:

"It should be acceptable to describe an aspect of a service as 'unlimited' (e.g. 'for just £12 a month you can make unlimited calls to numbers beginning 01 and 02') despite the existence of a fair-use policy, which is invoked to prevent misuse of the service, providing the policy's existence is stated in the ad."
    Basically, as long as you mention your "unlimited" service has an enforceable limitation, you're okay to advertise it as having no limit, and the ASA has ruled as such. (Source)
    I'm with GiffGaff at the moment and even though they have tariffs with "unlimited" data, unlimited actually means a limit of 1GB per hour.

Thank Post
    I would forward that one to WATCHDOG, that realy is a very misleading package.

I only have 500MB which I dont usualy get close to except on holiday when I teather the tablet or laptop.

Rob

Thank Post
    I have a £15 pm SIM only with Three, true unlimited data and allows tethering. I'm seriously considering ditching my home broadband as even though it's supposedly FTC I get a more reliable connection through my mobile, especially at peak times.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 1,218 Posts
    In the old days the fair usage only kicked in if you abused it a lot. It was to give them the option to reign you in, whereas the 1Gb package will defo end at the limit.
    Not sure what it's like now and how strict they are. Don't some have a peak time fair usage?
    I'm considering gettin a sim to whack in a dongle when I visit the UK next week. Was looking at giff gaff, not many let you share Internet do they.
    If I pay for data on my Orange the hotspot feature gets removed from iPhone.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,897 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    not many let you share Internet do they.
    Unfortunately not. You'll be fine if you get a GiffGaff "GigaBag" (or pre-paid 3G Three SIM card) though if you stick it in a dongle.

8. Thanks to Arthur from:

vikpaw (11th January 2014)

Thank Post
    I have just said goodbye to giffgaff after lots of network outages in my area, I'm now on EE4G Payg, paying 15 pounds for 2gig of 4G data and 2 pounds for 400 texts with 168 free mins a month + can tether to my iPad! It's all going well so far

Thank Post
    I was with Virgin for about 2 months last year. It was one of the worst networks for data I've ever been with. They'd just implemented a hidden spreed restriction, but managed to muck up the install/config so that people couldn't get more than 20kb/s at best.

Moved to Three and found them great. GF used them many years ago and found them very very poor so was slightly apprehensive giving them another shot but have to say had no problems. Data is fast and is truly unlimited. Accidentally had my phone download 40gb of my music library over 3G without issue a couple of months ago

Thank Post
    3 Mobile with All you can eat £12.50 pm is about as cheap as you can get my son and daughter in law have this tariff in their Tab3's and they absolutely hammer it and never had a problem.
    Unlike my other son who decided to stream music on his iPhone whilst decorating his new house with no wifi and clocked up a £900 data bill from EE

For my iPad I buy the 3 prepaid 3 or 12 month Data Sims from Amazon.
    3 months or 3Gb for £11 or 12Gb for £54
    Cut them down with a sim cutter throw them away when used up.

This is useful, http://mobilenetworkcomparison.org.uk/unlimiteddata/
    Last edited by m25man; 11th January 2014 at 07:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Depending on your usage Ovivo can work out good value. Like you my £8 a month T-Mobile contract has just ended and I've gone with the £0 a month SIM from Ovivo. They give you 200 mins, 300 texts and 500MB of data a month so as long as your a low user you could save around £100 a year. SIM card cost me £20 but will get £15 credit if I go over my allowance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Looking at a goody bag for the iPad £15 for 3Gb in a month.
    Plus Orange (EE) pay as you go dolphin offers up to 3gb for a £20 top up plus it says you can tether for £1 per day.
    3 looks best so far at 10gb for £15 monthly but it's rolling so would need to take it out and cancel at the same time.

Thank Post
    Three's 321 offer is excellent. I hardly use my phone and it only costs me a pound or so a month. This is so much cheaper than the £10 a month 02 wanted.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,360 Times in 1,738 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    3 Mobile with All you can eat £12.50 pm is about as cheap as you can get my son and daughter in law have this tariff in their Tab3's and they absolutely hammer it and never had a problem.
    Unlike my other son who decided to stream music on his iPhone whilst decorating his new house with no wifi and clocked up a £900 data bill from EE

For my iPad I buy the 3 prepaid 3 or 12 month Data Sims from Amazon.
    3 months or 3Gb for £11 or 12Gb for £54
    Cut them down with a sim cutter throw them away when used up.

This is useful, http://mobilenetworkcomparison.org.uk/unlimiteddata/
    Regrettably, Three Mobile prepaid data sims seem to have gone up in price. I have just been looking for one for my mifi and the 3GB/3 month one seems to be about £21 now

Thank Post
    Dont try a 321 sim from three for data. I learnt the hard way.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast