+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Data useage on mobile contracts in General; Originally Posted by lmgtfy Depending on your usage Ovivo can work out good value. Like you my 8 a month ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lmgtfy View Post
    Depending on your usage Ovivo can work out good value. Like you my 8 a month T-Mobile contract has just ended and I've gone with the 0 a month SIM from Ovivo. They give you 200 mins, 300 texts and 500MB of data a month so as long as your a low user you could save around 100 a year. SIM card cost me 20 but will get 15 credit if I go over my allowance.
    Yeah - they're pretty good - haven't paid anything in the last 6 months! Top!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    I have a 15 pm SIM only with Three, true unlimited data and allows tethering. I'm seriously considering ditching my home broadband as even though it's supposedly FTC I get a more reliable connection through my mobile, especially at peak times.
    ^^^ this

The One plan (which includes tethering) is a practical alternative to a landline+broadband for many people. Downloads into the tens of gigabytes per month are no problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    My prob is i don't want a long term contract and defo not to change my number. I want 'dine and dash' mob broadband

Thank Post
    I've got a Carphone Whorehouse contract which provides 500Mb, data, 250 minutes of calls and 2000 texts. It's on Vodafone and is effectively unlimited data because it's so slow I couldn't download 500MB in a month! Their minutes are pretty short as well.

Thank Post
    That's what you get for shopping in a crack den

6. Thanks to vikpaw from:

hawc (12th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Regrettably, Three Mobile prepaid data sims seem to have gone up in price. I have just been looking for one for my mifi and the 3GB/3 month one seems to be about 21 now
    That's a real pain, looks like the supply has run dry, they all used to be standard sims and needed cutting down but your quite right most now seem to be micro or nano sims at a hugely inflated price!

Looks like I will be switching the old iPhone to a 3 plan and tether the iPad to that.
    Fortunately the sim I have in the iPad still has 9 months left on it!

Thank Post
    I've ended up switching to Dolphin on orange /ee but I'm dubious as to whether the data package has started as they wanted me to wait until the monthly analysis date which is in Feb. unlimited texts and hopefully 3GB data for a 20 top up is pretty awesome and I can buy a call bundle with the money to counteract the high per minute rates (25p/min).

I also got a giga bag with giff gaff, 12.50 for 3GB which does allow tethering but not on iDevices! can switch it out to a mifi but that's hassle. Only just realised you can get the same type of package from Ovivo for 10/3GB. Same deal with no tether on iDevices tho. 1GB per month for free is awesome though. For some reason I thought it was a phone package only and only realised it has data packs after spending on giff gaff. Next time ....

I shouldn't need much but spoilt by having true unlimited in Saudi for 60 and it can be split across 3 sims / devices with no limits or bar on tethering. Works out really good.
    @elsiegee40 the 12GB 3 package ain't bad for 70 odd. Lasts a year so half what you were paying before.

Edit: sorry mis-read. It's a bit more but not much, couple of quid.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 19th January 2014 at 10:28 PM.

Thank Post

Cool

BUMP!

I advised a friend who was on T-mobile PAYG to sign-up to T-mobile's SIM-Only monthly rolling contact for 10/month for 250 minutes. She doesn't make many calls ending up topping up by 10 every 3 weeks, so it won't save her that much but would have allowed her to make longer/more calls without worrying about the cost.

Anyway, she went into Phones4U and explained she is already on T-Mobile PAYG and would like to keep the number, the friendly salesman said that once she signed up to the new contract she can simply ring T-mobile customer services and they can transfer the number from PAYG to the contract SIM. Anyway, she signed up there and then, but guess what.... On ringing customer services it was not possible to transfer the number from T-Mobile PAYG to T-Mobile contract. However, had she changed network then it would have been possible using the PAC code mechanism, but PAC codes can only be used between networks and not within the same network. The only option he gave was to go into a T-Mobile shop and get a free Orange SIM and (with or without their assistance) transfer the number to the Orange SIM and then back into the T-Mobile contract using PAC codes. He said that had Phones4U treated this as an "upgrade" then she could have kept the number, but they get less commission than a new line (i.e. new customer). He said it's quite common when purchasing from independent shops acting as agents for T-Mobile.

Anyway, she did as they advised but went to Phones4U instead (as it was them who "mis-sold" the contract). They begrudgingly assisted by going down the Orange PAYG SIM solution and was quite rude. Anyway, for some reason the number didn't transfer to the Orange SIM.

So now she's thinking of just keeping the T-mobile PAYG SIM and cancelling the new contract with T-Mobile, it will cost her 20 but it all got too complicated and was getting stressful.

1) How counter-intuitive it is that transferring a number from one network to another is easier than within the same network. The customer services guy mentioned it was due to OFCOM regulations but I suspect it's more that T-mobile's systems don't allow them to do it.

2) Unscrupulous sales staff who would happily screw you over for an extra 5 commission.

3) If you plan to do this yourself go to a T-Mobile shop and specify an UPGRADE. Or do it online as I think there is a tick-box to say you are an existing T-Mobile PAYG customer.

Anyway, back to my original post, I still haven't decided which contract I am going to choose, but I thought I would let everyone know about this issue.

Many Thanks,

Bruce.
    Last edited by Bruce123; 4th February 2014 at 07:05 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12