+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, New Office - No windows (natural light) and Only one Exit ! ? in General; Hi everyone well it looks like our new build is going ahead and I have seen the plans for our ...

Thank Post

New Office - No windows (natural light) and Only one Exit ! ?

Hi everyone

well it looks like our new build is going ahead and I have seen the plans for our office/server room and from what I can tell it will look like the attached (ground floor)

This is to save money as i have allready been told they are working on the basis of how much each extra door/window etc. will add to the final cost

does anyone else have an office

with no natural light ?
    only 1 exit ?

and does anyone have any idea how I persuade them to give us what we want ?

Stef.

New Office - No windows (natural light) and Only one Exit ! ?-newoffice.jpg
    Last edited by sjpage10; 11th January 2014 at 08:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    fire safety...if your exit is blocked you are trapped, health and safety (for adequate ventilation), occupational health would have something to say as well

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    fire safety...if your exit is blocked you are trapped, health and safety (for adequate ventilation), occupational health would have something to say as well
    I don't believe it is a catch all rule, there are legitimate situations not to have windows or extra doors. Oc Health for example you might need to prove you would be working in there for extended periods of time. For example, and I cannot believe I am saying this given what we all know to be true, take a cleaners cupboard. One door, no windows usually...

I would certainly check building regulations as a first port of call.

I would argue the point to the designers about how much time you might be spending in there working... and only.you will know how much time that might be.

Also, given the window will be onto the corridor, do you really want all your server equipment on show to all?

Thank Post
    in my 15 years..

1st office ( for a week ) was long and thin between two classrooms with 2 doors and a window on the world.

2nd office moved downstairs to a room 12ft x 12ft which had a glazed pannel in the door and a ventaxia..

3rd office was similar to the 1st but had the network cab and servers and only one door. had to leave top window open for vent.

4th office was the second one again but with 3 staff.

5th office was 12ft by 24ft, high big obscured glass window. with top ventilation , we expanded this into some store rooms for a new server room, workshop and store.

6th office ( We merged with another school ) was an old LARGE classroom with windows on two walls. It was fine in winter but 30C in the height of summer even with reflective film.

7th and current office......

3 years we have had this!!

Ground floor on a corridor next to the rowdy PE lessons.

3m x 5m , up to 4 staff. No windows at all. One door without any glazing.

It was built above the pool boiler room ( now houses heat exchangers from the main boiler ) . For the first 18 months the avarage room temperature was about 28C. It took M&E company and Principal constructor that long to admit that the temperature was unacceptable and our sugestion 18 months earlier was for a 3.5Kw AC... They installed a a 3.5Kw AC! and that keeps the room at a pleasant 23 all year round.

We have ventilation but it's ZONED so they can't up the flow without affecting other areas. So the flow is very low and in fact for 4 weeks ( at least ) last year it was Zero as the motor on the extract seized ( we spotted the lack of flow and reported to the FM company )

Rob

P.S.....

This was a new build.
    They put the server room and office over the pool heating (Genius)
    They put the server room and office in the lowest part of the site. Once under 1ft of water ( City flood defences should sort that )
    They have an air extract in the server room, so the AC air is being sucked out!
    Last edited by twin--turbo; 11th January 2014 at 09:21 AM.

Thank Post
    You can just about make out the extent of the office in this pic. I have about 1m behind my desk but there is steel racking behind me. In front is one desk and one off to my right and front right. And a cupbourd in the distance. you can see the radiator in the distance (HA) and the door is far right.

New Office - No windows (natural light) and Only one Exit ! ?-dsc_0772.jpg
    Last edited by twin--turbo; 11th January 2014 at 09:13 AM.

Thank Post
    The original plan for yours Stef , looks like our other site . they have a office that has a door to the server room. And you have to go through the office. They have more space probably 20M x 4M and there is only ever 2 of them in ther, vented, no AC and a glass panel in the door.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Having just gone though a new build, you have no grounds on the health and safety front. You will find most rooms have only 1 door. You could argue they have windows to escape but on the 2nd floor they are not an option really. As for ventilation, the whole building will have a ventilation system. All our rooms have 2 grids in the ceiling one extracting air and one pumping air in.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You see with that picture I would then question H & S in terms of your working space. And if you don't have enough room around your working area. Have a look at the H&S Exec website for pointers too. I used to work with H & S trainers even did a bit myself, wish I could remember the specs. You are statutorily entitled to some things regardless of cost or facilities available.

Blimey this takes me back!!

Thank Post
    We started out very brifly with 5 bodies in there which reduced to 4 for 8 months and only have 2 FT bodies in there now, 3 perhaps 50% of the week and virtualy never 4. we use the desk by the door as a general dumping testing station.

Still a bit of a dance. Was dreadful in the summer as there was boxes of terminals, PC's monitors, MACS, Projectors in there as well!!

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies guys

our present office is in an old school so we have high roofs and big windows , dont like the idea of moving in to a box

maybe we should have a pole to see how many of us are working with no natural light and only one exit , if it'spossible ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,615 Times in 1,445 Posts
    If at all possible I would advise against server room also being a workroom/office, we have a server room, technician has an office he shares with IT teacher and I have a desk in what is the ICT workroom which has racking for spares and desk space for repairs.

My next office however is the 10' x 14' man cave at the bottom of the garden for when I'm working from home.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If I remember my H&S every person needs a minimum of W2.1m x D2.1m x H3m work space, with a desk (if required) taking up no more than W1.8m x D0.9m x H1.0m in such a space. Obviously the more space you have, the desk can vary. Also, most offices require 2 doors, as a means of fire escape, plus a window/air con for temperature control, and adequate ventilation and prevention of condensation (which can cause mould, damp etc). If it goes above 24C or below 18C in the room, you have no obligation to work in the environment until it is sorted (exception being for emergency services, armed forces and a handful of other occupations, such as welders, steel works, miners etc).

If you have 2 people in the room, add 0.3m for the W and D of the room for every subsequent person using the room.

This was from when I re-designed my office in the school. Will try dig out the paperwork as I am sure I have it around at home.

Thank Post
    I doubt having two doors is a requirement otherwise a large proportion of offices in the country would be breaking fire regs.

We get inspected every year by the fire officer if not more often and I could easily count 12-14 offices ( including to scince prep rooms ) with only one door. How many classroms in your building have two means of escape?

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sjpage10 View Post
    dont like the idea of moving in to a box
    I would get used to the idea. I doubt it will change.

I was actualy involved with the M&E and at meetings every week for our new build and I could not get a better office for us.

Rob

P.S...

I am responsible for the idea of no toilet lids... when we were asked by the constructors in a meeting what type/colour and finish we wanted it was a bit of thinking until I asked why we needed them?

Also the lenght of the drop of the lamps over the two cafes ( the original height would have let the glass lampshades smash into each other )

And a few other things in the building are mine
    Last edited by twin--turbo; 11th January 2014 at 10:28 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,615 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Not sure where you got the 2 door requirement from either we have in total about 2 rooms that have 2 doors all other classrooms and staff offices only have 1 door in them.

Temperature as well there is no upper temperature limit set in law, HSE - Temperature: What the Law says

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast