+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, New Office - No windows (natural light) and Only one Exit ! ? in General; Yep no upper from our experience, we had classes wanting to stipulate this in the old building when they were ...

Thank Post
    Yep no upper from our experience, we had classes wanting to stipulate this in the old building when they were hitting 31C ( ICT rooms in a hot spell ) but there was no legislation from what we found.

Rob

Thank Post
    I think your plan look like a sensible use of the space. The outside door probably isn't required. If its ground floor, and you are really stuck, you could probably just climb out of the window if you had to. And if you had one. You would need to think about the additional security required if you have a window/door to the outside world.

We were looking at something similar last year. Our server room was at the back of a classroom. That classroom then got divided up into two offices. The original plan wouldn't have given us any natural light in our office. I requested a different layout where each office got one window each. Our argument was mostly on making the space more pleasant to work in, especially if we are soldering or using chemicals. We sacrificed a little space, but they agreed, and it all worked out well.

I would recommend asking asap. The later into a building project you make changes the more expensive it is. If the project is still in the planning stages it shouldn't add as much to the cost compared to leaving it till after the building work is done. You don't lose anything by asking.

Another thing you might want to consider is how you will use the server room space, and if you have enough room to slide servers in and out of the rack etc. It looks like quite a small room, but then there are no measurements on your drawing.

We only have a couple of offices in our school that don't have windows to the outside world, and most of them have a window into a corridor so that they get some natural light.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post

This was from when I re-designed my office in the school. Will try dig out the paperwork as I am sure I have it around at home.
    thanks that would be appreciated

Thank Post
    All re-drawings will cost money ( not cheap )
    Extra openings cost money ( not just £300 but a stupid amount )
    Moving stuff arround has multiple knock ons.. Lighting , Power and Data, Ventilation, etc all involving lots of people all making potential lots of money of every change.

Been through it twice in the last 5 years so know how it goes..

Rob

Thank Post
    When it come to working environment IT support is at the bottom of the list.

Thank Post
    Get rid of the wall in the middle have a nice big server room, find some where Central and open to have an office. Even if it means sharing with other people.

Amazing what it does for the teams image if you can be seen

Also get rid of windows...

Keep pushing for the changes and they will happen, our server room was between the college kitchens and boiler room.
    Last edited by gaz350b; 11th January 2014 at 05:59 PM.

Thank Post
    We have no windows, but nice lights. There is a window from our repair room, straight into a classroom!!

Thank Post
    Our office was a mezzanine split between a wall that hung over our ICT suite and a DT classroom; using the latter for junk/storage. Not a few weeks after I'd started they went and put a wall in the 'office' side which made things a lot more bearable. Wall got put in on the DT side this summer and some proper storage racks for stuff, a hell of a lot nicer.

Leaving here and this wonderful amount of space shall be hard, ah.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    I have no windows and the room is only just bigger than my outstretched arms in both directions.
    TBH I am grateful as in my other job I am stuck behind a half-wall in the library.

I would be concerned about the servers - heat, risk of fire etc

Thank Post
    Would it be an idea to have a completely open room and then get a server cooled cabinet? as for a second door one that opens into a classroom??? I honestly dont know how much the things are but i saw something like this in a print shop recently.

38U Server Cabinet Air-cooled acoustic server rack enclosure v7.6 (PSE38/CO14) - Data Room Direct

Edit: Since starting my job here (3 1/2 years) i have been in a box room which holds lots of stuff and I keep tripping up on myself (No windows, one door and no natural light). Since my sinuses have gotten worse latley I did raise the issue and I am currently being relocated to a brand new office they refurbished for me with windows!!! and the current box room will be used as my ICT storage area.

So if you have sinus related issues maybe worth raising?
    Last edited by north-ict; 13th January 2014 at 03:24 PM.

Thank Post
    I'd try to hold out for your scheme, but without the door to outside. That is a significant security risk.

The walls between you & the server room should be 1/2 fire resisting minimum, with maybe a double layer of plasterboard on one side to keep the noise in. Your architect may not like one room opening off another... but hey, that is what they tried to fob you off with in the first place!

Server room will need A/C, so try to get some for yourselves. They won't like installing that, but point out that the accounts server will fall over just as fast as anything else. No server = no cheques!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is the building a PFI?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12