+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, PAT Testing????? in General; I have a few questions about Portable Appliance Testing within schools.... At our place we (the support staff) have to ...

Thank Post

PAT Testing?????

I have a few questions about Portable Appliance Testing within schools....

At our place we (the support staff) have to do the PAT testing. It is split around departments; IT (us) have to do the PCs etc and AV (as of today); science have today there science stuff; Art Technician has to do art stuff and the caretakers have to to the rest. The only stuff different is the cleaners equip with has to be tested by 'outsiders'.

Now (the ever going) Job Evaluation has stirred this up and we are getting upset about having to do it (especially as we don’t get paid extra for this). In my case it isn’t even in my job description. My line manager said get it added then, I said pay me for it then I will!

My questions are; who does yours and do you get paid extra for it? Also does anyone know the legal accountability if a serious accident happens?

If you do the testing what training have you had? We had to watch a DVD then answer questions on it then post it off, in hindsight I wish I had failed! Seeing as they are City and Guilds qualifications for PAT testing this seems very inadequate.

Part of me is in a ‘rock the boat mood’ and I need to know the answers (especially to the accountability question).

Cheers in advance!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: PAT Testing?????

If i was you i would seek union advice as this is a minefield of problems waiting to happen ?? also with ref the test you did unless it is a recognised qual. (city and guilds) be very careful for example I did a one day c and G course and it qualifies me to pat test you also need to have been tested on The IEE code of practice for In-service Inspection and testing of electrical equipment which you must have with you if carrying out any test ?? Like i said this is a minefield and if you get it wrong you are liable the other thing you need to know about is class 1, 2, testing and testing pc's which is a totally different ball game as they have built in leakage.

http://www.pat-testing.info/who.htm
    http://www.theiet.org/ (used to be iee)

Have fun and dont get caught as my instructor said when I did the course.(cost of course about £75)

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

also remember. DO NOT FLASH TEST COMPUTER EQUIPTMENT.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

lol me i do the lead then do the pc but never flash test it but still do all the others.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Its something that should be taught to all PATers. Confused the hell out of me when a pile of my printers and print servers all died over the hols.

Thank Post

What do you mean flash test?

We had the pat tester last week on my day off, he seems to have tested evrything, computers, monitors and leads. (Also the celing mounted projectors, which then had to moved back into place.) I'm sure the last tester we had in just tested the leads on the computers.

Thank Post

If I remember correctly, the flash test tests the equipment by applying a voltage around 500v between the live+neutral and the earth pin on an applicance. Needless to say this isn't good for any computerised equipment, least of all a PC.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

There are all sort of tests the worst one for a pc is the isolation and resistance as it put 500Vdc down the line also touch testing dosen't always pass as pcs have a built in leakage so you do a soft test on pcs only put 100 mA Been a while since i did it I always get a refresher from local collage that way I get to find out about new legation and it only cost £10 and takes about 2 hours and most of the time they don't bother charging.

Thank Post

Ceiling mounted projectors don't need Portable Appliance Testing being as how they aint portable! This is Portable Appliance Testing not Electrical Appliance Testing...

Myself, the Science Tech and the Site Supervisor all went on a one day course which had no exam, merely a certificate of attendance, but apparently that was sufficient. I can't comment on what the others do, but I carry out visual inspections after 3-5 years and then test anything over that age, I can't remember off the top of my head how frequently I test things, but it isn't all that often.

Ref. accountability, the buck stops with your employer, not you (so long as you are operating within the remit set by the individual school, e.g. test everything every year or whatever your school's policy is)

Thank Post

I'm not sure on the laws for PAT testing, but I think the 'portable' just means it isn't hardwired. So basically anything with a plug is 'portable'. I used to work in a club doing sound and light (before my placement year came along) and the university made us take all our lighting down off the rig so that the sparky could PAT test them... They're even less portable than a projector :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We get outsiders in. After summer I had to replace about 4 or 5 power supplies in this one room.

I keep finding equipment that has failed the PAT test too.... what are you meant to do with it?? Most of it is still being used because I don't know about any of the failures apart from the ones I happen to find.

Thank Post

with nearly 1000 items in just IT alone no chance! we have got the school to get it done externally.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by richard.thomas
    I'm not sure on the laws for PAT testing, but I think the 'portable' just means it isn't hardwired. So basically anything with a plug is 'portable'.
    If users never touch (indeed can't reach) either the equipment or its power supply, I wouldn't class it as portable.

Thank Post

The trouble with PAT Testing is, noone knows anything about it. It's all 'guidelines' which can be read as strict or lenient as you like.

Unfortunately our testing is done by an external company and they failed any PC with a boken plastic front. (For those with Scenic Ps the front grill either pulled off or even just one of the bars broken off).

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    Ceiling mounted projectors don't need Portable Appliance Testing being as how they aint portable! This is Portable Appliance Testing not Electrical Appliance Testing...

Myself, the Science Tech and the Site Supervisor all went on a one day course which had no exam, merely a certificate of attendance, but apparently that was sufficient. I can't comment on what the others do, but I carry out visual inspections after 3-5 years and then test anything over that age, I can't remember off the top of my head how frequently I test things, but it isn't all that often.

Ref. accountability, the buck stops with your employer, not you (so long as you are operating within the remit set by the individual school, e.g. test everything every year or whatever your school's policy is)
    Going by popular definition a desktop PC or monitor aren't portable appliances either. Same goes for printers and most devices in a school.

If that's the case what is there left to test ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast