+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, PAT Testing????? in General; In regard to taking on extra work with Job Evaluation it is my understaning that if the task is of ...

Thank Post

Re: PAT Testing?????

In regard to taking on extra work with Job Evaluation it is my understaning that if the task is of a higher grading than your job, you can refuse to do it. If it is of the same or lower grading they can add it to your responsibilities. Obivously if you already have too much work to do this then becomes a staffing issue as you cant do all your work assisgned to you in the time the employer expects.

Like others have said, get advice. Speak to your union for advice on where you stand.

We have an outside company come in and test during the summer.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by torledo
    Going by popular definition a desktop PC or monitor aren't portable appliances either. Same goes for printers and most devices in a school.

If that's the case what is there left to test ?
    Anything which people need to touch/move, which does include PCs and printers.

Thank Post

Job Evaluation!?

I've been here for 5 years, doing the Network Manager's jobs for 3 of them and never had an Evaluation.

Thank Post

According to the Code of Practice, "portable" is less than 18Kg and either intended to be moved whilst in operation (ie. vacuum cleaner) or which can be moved from one place to another (ie. toaster).

Over 18Kg is either "movable or transportable" (ie. air conditioning unit) or "stationary" (ie. washing machine).

"Fixed" is something that is secured in one location (ie. a towel rail). "Built-in" appliances have poor levels of physical protection, but this should be provided by the separate housing (ie. a built-in cooker).

Then there is"handheld" (pretty obvious)

Finally, "IT equipment" is a category all of its own because - as has been said above - it doesn't like having very high voltages applies to it to test the insulation.

Within these equipment types, you also have Class 1 (an earth connection) Class 2 (double insulated, no earth) and Class 3 (uses a Separate Extra Low Voltage (SELV) power supply).

Thank Post

Took a three day course (no lunch ) and passed. Don't have a clue where to start with actually testing things - one of the science techs is going to show me 'later' or 'soon'

Thank Post

For all those speculating on what needs testing, and how often; buy and read the book (Code of Practice for In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment). That way you will have evidence to back your position (or you may have to change the position if you are wrong).

The only legal requirement that a person testing needs to fulfil is competence, a good way of proving this is to do a recognised course ie C&G. It is a 6 hour course with a one hour exam. Not at all difficult if you have a bit of electrical knowledge. "O" level physics would suffice.

As as aside, there is no legal requirement to test, but you do have to have "a safe system of work" and "maintain equipment so as to be safe", to do this, you need to know if your electrical equipment is safe.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    Going by popular definition a desktop PC or monitor aren't portable appliances either. Same goes for printers and most devices in a school.

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I've had to 'touch' a ceiling mounted projector on several occasions - a lot of the time on our NEC's which you can't auto-adjust from the remote.

Anyway, I'm being pedantic and moving off-topic somewhat....what I really want to know is do I have to have my servers PAT tested. They're all less than three years old, and weigh over 18kg. And are installed in a rack.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Midget
    also remember. DO NOT FLASH TEST COMPUTER EQUIPTMENT.
    Like the guy at my last place that forgot how to test everything so just pressed all the buttons to see if it passed/failed
    muppet!
    Matt

Thank Post

Ceiling mounted projectors don't need Portable Appliance Testing being as how they aint portable! This is Portable Appliance Testing not Electrical Appliance Testing...

Myself, the Science Tech and the Site Supervisor all went on a one day course which had no exam, merely a certificate of attendance, but apparently that was sufficient. I can't comment on what the others do, but I carry out visual inspections after 3-5 years and then test anything over that age, I can't remember off the top of my head how frequently I test things, but it isn't all that often.

Ref. accountability, the buck stops with your employer, not you (so long as you are operating within the remit set by the individual school, e.g. test everything every year or whatever your school's policy is)
    Your supposed to keep a record of how often you test them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Law states if it has a plug It must be tested as even though you might never move it if there is a problem pat testing will pick it up. IE fuse blown so someone put bigger fuse in. This would fail pat test pat items are any item with a plug i have even had to do wall heater in the past. This is part of HASAWA. Its a nightmare but if that projector catches fire and school burns down and fire-brigade put it down to electrical fault on projector and the insurance ask to see pat log (must be kept for 5 years) and it never been done insurance will not pay out only example . Unless it has its own curcit and is wired into the mains then it must be tested. This does include projectors, whiteboards and the data colectors the plug into the mains.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by alonebfg
    Law states if it has a plug It must be tested
    Where does it say that in an act of parliament? Don't bother looking, it doesn't. You need to risk assess and meet the requirements of various acts, but nowhere does it tell you HOW to do that.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by alonebfg
    Law states if it has a plug It must be tested as even though you might never move it if there is a problem pat testing will pick it up. IE fuse blown so someone put bigger fuse in. This would fail pat test pat items are any item with a plug i have even had to do wall heater in the past. This is part of HASAWA. Its a nightmare but if that projector catches fire and school burns down and fire-brigade put it down to electrical fault on projector and the insurance ask to see pat log (must be kept for 5 years) and it never been done insurance will not pay out only example . Unless it has its own curcit and is wired into the mains then it must be tested. This does include projectors, whiteboards and the data colectors the plug into the mains.
    Ohhh goody get to use my new website that someone sent me, knew it would come in handy

HSE Myths

Thank Post

What about servers and ups do they need testing?

Thank Post

Projectors are portable appliances, Nick how do you change the lamp, clean the filters without touching the appliance. PAT testing is not just about protecting pupils in schools but the entire workforce that includes yourself and your colleagues. The contractors we have go a bit over the top though as I'm finding test labels on data cabs as well as the switches they house.

Thank Post

Not according to our LEA they are not. They have to be tested every year for 5 years and only then can you apply for them to be listed as static after having proven that they are stable so they need only be tested every few years. Portable..Yeah.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast