+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
General Chat Thread, Very disappointed :-( - no virgin media in General; Looking at a new house and it's not in a virgin media area, been with them for donkeys years. I ...
  1. #1
    Pyroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,193
    Thank Post
    431
    Thanked 137 Times in 102 Posts
    Rep Power
    71

    Very disappointed :-( - no virgin media

    Looking at a new house and it's not in a virgin media area, been with them for donkeys years. I love the fact that it's pretty much guaranteed 30mbps at all hours (in my experience) Who's worth going with and what are fiber speeds like? I know it says "upto 38mbps" but is that realistic?

    Cheers
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 9th January 2014 at 05:48 PM.

  2. #2

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,844
    Thank Post
    570
    Thanked 994 Times in 766 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    460
    I moved from Virgin to Sky and loved every minute of not having crappy download speeds the moment I dared to use full speed for more than half an hour! Or any other dodgy controls. However as with all DSL providers, FTTC etc your mileage may well vary. It's at the point now where I look at the whole package for cost reasons (TV, phone, broadband) rather than just BB, with one exception - if it is, has been, or may well be, anywhere near TalkTalk, it goes nowhere near me or I'll start decapitating people. It didn't get that far with Virgin but there were some broken knuckles!

  3. #3
    Pyroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,193
    Thank Post
    431
    Thanked 137 Times in 102 Posts
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I moved from Virgin to Sky and loved every minute of not having crappy download speeds the moment I dared to use full speed for more than half an hour! Or any other dodgy controls. However as with all DSL providers, FTTC etc your mileage may well vary. It's at the point now where I look at the whole package for cost reasons (TV, phone, broadband) rather than just BB, with one exception - if it is, has been, or may well be, anywhere near TalkTalk, it goes nowhere near me or I'll start decapitating people. It didn't get that far with Virgin but there were some broken knuckles!
    TBH I'm not worried about the telly packages, don't really watch enough other than freeview channels to justify another 20 on a bill. I never had a speed restriction on virgin as far as I'm aware, I've always been able to download at full whack. Looked at sky fibre as it seemed to be the cheapest and they claim it's unlimited and there's no traffic shaping.

  4. #4
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,738
    Thank Post
    894
    Thanked 414 Times in 348 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    TBH I'm not worried about the telly packages, don't really watch enough other than freeview channels to justify another 20 on a bill. I never had a speed restriction on virgin as far as I'm aware, I've always been able to download at full whack. Looked at sky fibre as it seemed to be the cheapest and they claim it's unlimited and there's no traffic shaping.
    BT is also unlimited with no traffic shaping.

    I get a permanent 80mbit on mine which is great

    Only downside is you have to pay for line rental.

  5. Thanks to zag from:

    mac_shinobi (9th January 2014)

  6. #5

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,210
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    BT is also unlimited with no traffic shaping.

    I get a permanent 80mbit on mine which is great

    Only downside is you have to pay for line rental.
    Wish I could get BT Infinity or similar ( which is what Sky use as think they lease / rent it from BT ) , Can only get ADSL2+ so with Sky

  7. #6
    BassTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    470
    Thank Post
    46
    Thanked 30 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Wish I could get BT Infinity or similar ( which is what Sky use as think they lease / rent it from BT ) , Can only get ADSL2+ so with Sky
    I can't get fiber at all (only live 5 miles from Birmingham city centre!) but do have Sky's ADSL2+ and found it to be very reliable, no speed capping and unlimited downloading is actually unlimited

  8. Thanks to BassTech from:

    mac_shinobi (9th January 2014)

  9. #7

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,210
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee91 View Post
    I can't get fiber at all (only live 5 miles from Birmingham city centre!) but do have Sky's ADSL2+ and found it to be very reliable, no speed capping and unlimited downloading is actually unlimited
    Don't get me wrong, not complaining or moaning, just wishing I could get BT Infinity as better throughput ( speed ) and I don't want to ever go back to virgin media !!

  10. #8

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    251
    Thank Post
    128
    Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    I have Sky Fibre 40MB - was rock solid 35mb but recently been slow apparently congested exchange which is waiting with BT OpenReach zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

  11. #9

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,844
    Thank Post
    570
    Thanked 994 Times in 766 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    460
    I'm moving back to an awesome place for connectivity hopefully later this month - fiber here I come

  12. #10

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    11,668
    Thank Post
    1,614
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    400
    I am with sky...on the waiting list for sky fibrr which will be a free upgrade. My current connection is "upto" 20mb, and its a pretty constant 18mb. Never dipped below 15mb that I can tell.

  13. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    98
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    4
    I have Sky fibre, 40 meg, get around 32 meg most of the time, but its so much better than adsl.

  14. #12
    Pyroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,193
    Thank Post
    431
    Thanked 137 Times in 102 Posts
    Rep Power
    71
    Cool :-) Turns out we didn't get the house we were after unfortunately they rented it to someone else. Back to the joys of house hunting, all i want is a house in a Virgin Media area that has a garage, isn't in the scummy side of town and doesn't cost the earth! Is that too much to ask?
    Last edited by Pyroman; 10th January 2014 at 08:52 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. VERY disappointed
    By Arthur in forum Bad Experiences
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 2nd November 2009, 02:36 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 7th February 2006, 12:22 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2nd February 2006, 10:49 PM
  4. Cold, so very cold....
    By Dos_Box in forum General Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 18th November 2005, 03:43 PM
  5. Hot, so very hot....
    By Dos_Box in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12th July 2005, 07:27 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •