+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Very disappointed :-( - no virgin media in General; Looking at a new house and it's not in a virgin media area, been with them for donkeys years. I ...
    Thank Post

Very disappointed :-( - no virgin media

Looking at a new house and it's not in a virgin media area, been with them for donkeys years. I love the fact that it's pretty much guaranteed 30mbps at all hours (in my experience) Who's worth going with and what are fiber speeds like? I know it says "upto 38mbps" but is that realistic?

Cheers
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 9th January 2014 at 05:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I moved from Virgin to Sky and loved every minute of not having crappy download speeds the moment I dared to use full speed for more than half an hour! Or any other dodgy controls. However as with all DSL providers, FTTC etc your mileage may well vary. It's at the point now where I look at the whole package for cost reasons (TV, phone, broadband) rather than just BB, with one exception - if it is, has been, or may well be, anywhere near TalkTalk, it goes nowhere near me or I'll start decapitating people. It didn't get that far with Virgin but there were some broken knuckles!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I moved from Virgin to Sky and loved every minute of not having crappy download speeds the moment I dared to use full speed for more than half an hour! Or any other dodgy controls. However as with all DSL providers, FTTC etc your mileage may well vary. It's at the point now where I look at the whole package for cost reasons (TV, phone, broadband) rather than just BB, with one exception - if it is, has been, or may well be, anywhere near TalkTalk, it goes nowhere near me or I'll start decapitating people. It didn't get that far with Virgin but there were some broken knuckles!
    TBH I'm not worried about the telly packages, don't really watch enough other than freeview channels to justify another 20 on a bill. I never had a speed restriction on virgin as far as I'm aware, I've always been able to download at full whack. Looked at sky fibre as it seemed to be the cheapest and they claim it's unlimited and there's no traffic shaping.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    TBH I'm not worried about the telly packages, don't really watch enough other than freeview channels to justify another 20 on a bill. I never had a speed restriction on virgin as far as I'm aware, I've always been able to download at full whack. Looked at sky fibre as it seemed to be the cheapest and they claim it's unlimited and there's no traffic shaping.
    BT is also unlimited with no traffic shaping.

I get a permanent 80mbit on mine which is great

Only downside is you have to pay for line rental.

5. Thanks to zag from:

mac_shinobi (9th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    BT is also unlimited with no traffic shaping.

I get a permanent 80mbit on mine which is great

Only downside is you have to pay for line rental.
    Wish I could get BT Infinity or similar ( which is what Sky use as think they lease / rent it from BT ) , Can only get ADSL2+ so with Sky

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Wish I could get BT Infinity or similar ( which is what Sky use as think they lease / rent it from BT ) , Can only get ADSL2+ so with Sky
    I can't get fiber at all (only live 5 miles from Birmingham city centre!) but do have Sky's ADSL2+ and found it to be very reliable, no speed capping and unlimited downloading is actually unlimited

8. Thanks to BassTech from:

mac_shinobi (9th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee91 View Post
    I can't get fiber at all (only live 5 miles from Birmingham city centre!) but do have Sky's ADSL2+ and found it to be very reliable, no speed capping and unlimited downloading is actually unlimited
    Don't get me wrong, not complaining or moaning, just wishing I could get BT Infinity as better throughput ( speed ) and I don't want to ever go back to virgin media !!

Thank Post
    I have Sky Fibre 40MB - was rock solid 35mb but recently been slow apparently congested exchange which is waiting with BT OpenReach zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm moving back to an awesome place for connectivity hopefully later this month - fiber here I come

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am with sky...on the waiting list for sky fibrr which will be a free upgrade. My current connection is "upto" 20mb, and its a pretty constant 18mb. Never dipped below 15mb that I can tell.

Thank Post
    I have Sky fibre, 40 meg, get around 32 meg most of the time, but its so much better than adsl.

Thank Post
    Cool :-) Turns out we didn't get the house we were after unfortunately they rented it to someone else. Back to the joys of house hunting, all i want is a house in a Virgin Media area that has a garage, isn't in the scummy side of town and doesn't cost the earth! Is that too much to ask?
    Last edited by Pyroman; 10th January 2014 at 08:52 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread