+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Time table in General; Technician...
    Thank Post

Re: Time table

Technician

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,703 Posts

You are paid as a Technician; you're hourly rate should reflect that and it will be higher than that of a TA. It is an expensive way for the school to support the teachers.

Be careful how you use this though, you don't want the next step to be a suggested reduction in your hourly rate!

I can't help wondering if making a Technician do a TA's job is constructive dismissal? If we Tech's had wanted to be TA's ,we'd have applied for that job.

Also: If you do end up working to the timetable and something goes wrong, make sure you send a pupil with a note to the head requesting permission to leave your timetabled duties to fix whatever the problem is. Make it quite clear to the requesting teacher that you cannot possibly leave your timetabled job without permission! Do it every time without fail!

Thank Post

How long have you been working there? They cannot change your contract without you agreeing to do so(but check with your union) I certainly would not accept this unless I had it in writing and there was absolultely no way I could appeal. And in that case I would leave. Its is sheer stupidity that it is even considered! Are you the only person in the school who is there to maintain the network? If so what about when other members of staff need your assistance? Do you get up and leave the lesson you are in? Or has it been decided that only the people in your timetabled lessons are to benefit?

I do help in lessons where needed, but it is usually when a non IT teacher is using the room, or pupils are trying to do things other than "the norm". And this help only goes as far as showing the pupil/teacher how to do a certain task(and ensuring that it is not user error).

Whatever happens make sure you document everything. As your performance of network maintenance will suffer you need to ensure you have this documented so you are covered when they question your ability to do the job.

I would sense a problem with the server every day at about 9am. Shame no one can log onto the network, but your workload would lighten eh ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,703 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pallen
    I would sense a problem with the server every day at about 9am. Shame no one can log onto the network, but your workload would lighten eh ?
    Not every day! Just regularly enough to be a nuisance! Intermitent problems are MUCH harder to solve! :twisted:

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes, sorry, I hadn't noticed that he wasn't timetabled to make the tea ;-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,757 Posts

The first question to ask him is: what happens if I am supporting a class and there is a problem with IT? Do I leave or what? Which is the priority.
    Then you just make sure you have priority things to do during MOST lessons!
    The second point to make is that you were employed as a network tech and that is what you do - you did not take a job involving support, and whilst you are prepared to do one or two lessons, this is not what is being offered. There ARE tech jobs involving support, but you chose one that did not as you like the technical side of things
    It is weird though, as techs normally get paid more than TAs
    Does he really think that there isn't enought for you do do during the day?
    Actually, that is a good question - IS there enough to do all day or can you compromise ?(see above).

If you DO have to start it, I like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40

Also: If you do end up working to the timetable and something goes wrong, make sure you send a pupil with a note to the head requesting permission to leave your timetabled duties to fix whatever the problem is. Make it quite clear to the requesting teacher that you cannot possibly leave your timetabled job without permission! Do it every time without fail!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123