+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Time table in General; Sorry but that is wrong. That clause cannot be used to get you to do anything, if the thing that ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 1,466 Posts

Re: Time table

Sorry but that is wrong.

That clause cannot be used to get you to do anything, if the thing that you've been asked to do is going to take a consideral amount of time to the detriment of your other duties he cannot force you to do it.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,228 Times in 1,645 Posts

I have no idea how large your school is and that is obviously a factor in how much Tech time you need.

I'm part-time - 4 hours per day in a very small school. I can do the IT Tech's job in that time and run the school library as well. In a bigger school, I can see that job would be full-time.

I do provide cover/support in lessons, but this is on an informal basis - as needed. The attempt to timetable me in failed miserably and was abandoned after 1 term as it became obvious that they couldn't rely on my presence!

Your timetable is very restrictive as PCs don't only pack up at 3.15pm - unless of course there's a very important presentation being done to the governor's on the shiney new whiteboard at that time (when of course the entire network will freeze!)

Personally, I would agree to the timetable on condition that you get it reviewed after a term. Don't feel tempted to do extra hours/work through your breaks during this term to make up for what you can't do because you are in lessons. Let things crumble a little. It's time for a 'work to rule'. Your head will soon realise that you are needed elsewhere at these times.

I think your head reallly needs to employ another Teaching Assistant, their hourly rate would be cheaper than yours! The head is probably trying to avoid the costs of having another member of staff on the payroll.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 1,466 Posts

My LEA HR response to the other duties clause was:

1. it does not give line managers carte blanche to ask any employee to do anything.
    2. it does mean that a manager can resonably expect the postholder to do other tasks or take on other responsibilities that are appropriate to the grade of the post, and also to the nature of the knowledge, skills,, and experience that match the person specification for the post.
    3. Regarding the amount of time any additional tasks may take, this could be a matter of the grade. Posts up to Sc 6 work to a basic 37 hour week and can be paid overtime for any significant number of additional hours they are required to work above this and which cant be accomoodated within the normal fluctuations of flexitime. The contracts of posts of SO1 and above contain a clause which says that postholders are required to work "such hours as may reasonably be required to carry out the duties of the post." And they are not entitled to be paid overtime.
    Ben

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Tell him to take a running jump the miserable old git. He's trying to merge two jobs in to one - by making you in to some sort of Techie/TA hybrid.

I'd stuff viruses on his PC, piss in his tea and pay the kids to slash his tyres.

Only kidding :-)

Thank Post

thanks for all of your responses, although I am still not 100% of what route to take at this time.

I am going to ask what is meant by support/supporting (in writing)

I agree he is trying to merge 2 jobs into one.

Thank Post

if for what ever reason they make you do this, i would finish at 4:15 exactly, take your 1 hour lunch, let many of the jobs pile up, and just let all hell break loose.
    Then if they start to complain bring unison in again and show your timetable. and then discuss with them when you want them to do all these jobs as your time is fully booked, if they even try to extend your hours, the union rep should back you.

Thank Post

i'd personally tell them to go stuff themselves, im not trained to deal with kids in classroom enviornments on a one on one basis, only to help them out if they come to the office.

if they want me to do that, they pay me more for it and put me on training. not that id bloody want to anyway.

so yeah, tell him where to shove his timetable, hopefully he gets some papercuts

Thank Post

Cheap cover!!

Tell them where to go.

HBJB

Thank Post

I Agree, cheap cover... I was brought here to pull the school away from the LEA's network for Primaries. I did that. I created an independant network, which runs smoothly and better than the service provided from the LEA. Now it's set up it does seem he wants me as a TA....

thanks again for all your responses

Thank Post

Yikes!

I like the BOFH responses. Definitely have the servers mysteriously 'crash' at some point during the day, and adamantly refuse to go fix them until its THAT time of the day to do your maintenance, only to inform them that it could take a good 5 hours to get it back up and running (i.e. all week according to your timetable).

Do they not realise the importance of IT Support. Are you the only person at your school looking after the machines?

Thank Post

yes I am the only person looking after IT, whats funny is the it-cord isnt even capable of scanning a document or taking images from a digital camera. It takes the piss

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    piss in his tea
    He's not timetabled to make his tea.

Thank Post

When I started here 7 years ago I had 18 contact lessons a week plus staff asking me to assist during other lessons. The teaching staff were absolutely clueless and relied on me to drive the lessons. As they became more comfortable with ICT they would often say they could manage without me. Now I have little time do my own job let alone theirs. I have told the HT that I refuse to work in a noisy classroom and it is up to the teacher to maintain discipline. I have walked out of an ICT class because the kids were to boistrous and the teacher had no control. There wasn't much they could do about it without admitting their own limitations.

However, back to your plight. Go to the lessons, when the teacher is delivering, stand facing him/her with your arms folded and an amused expression on your face. If you disagree with what they are teaching or if they have got it wrong, then take them to one side and advise them. Show the kids that you know far more about the subject than the teacher does. It won't be long before they are telling you they can manage.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer
    When I started here 7 years ago I had 18 contact lessons a week plus staff asking me to assist during other lessons. The teaching staff were absolutely clueless and relied on me to drive the lessons. As they became more comfortable with ICT they would often say they could manage without me. Now I have little time do my own job let alone theirs. I have told the HT that I refuse to work in a noisy classroom and it is up to the teacher to maintain discipline. I have walked out of an ICT class because the kids were to boistrous and the teacher had no control. There wasn't much they could do about it without admitting their own limitations.

However, back to your plight. Go to the lessons, when the teacher is delivering, stand facing him/her with your arms folded and an amused expression on your face. If you disagree with what they are teaching or if they have got it wrong, then take them to one side and advise them. Show the kids that you know far more about the subject than the teacher does. It won't be long before they are telling you they can manage.
    I don't think this would be the case here as a lot of staff are happy for you to take control etc. SOme of them don't think they should have to do anything ICT wise. Even the simplest of jobs they come to me. For example taking pictures from a digital camera..... any of them can do it but they still come to me to do it for them.

Thank Post

Screw up his timetable and stick it in his.............................................

Floppy Drive

Are you employed as a Technician or a Classroom assistant. If both then get the pay for BOTH

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast