+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Time off work!?! in General; just after a bit of advice really or what would you do? It looks like I'm going to have to ...

Thank Post

Time off work!?!

just after a bit of advice really or what would you do?

It looks like I'm going to have to have a small hernia op this year. See the consultant in 2 weeks. We are going on holiday in the April half term with the little one so have cant miss that as it will be another year before we can go if we cancel.
    From what I have read and heard from most people is that it is a few hours in hospital and they let you our after you have been to the toilet. Then normally it takes 2 weeks before you can get back to work for none manual jobs. However I have talked to one person that got singed off for 6 weeks.
    So I'm going to either try to get it done very quickly or wait until after April.
    As I'm self-employed and contracted to the schools for x hours per week per year term time only. What would happen if i had to take a long time off 6 weeks for example? Im sure 2 weeks would not be a big issue as i could remote in from home.

Thank Post
    Get it done as soon as you can. If you're school doesn't understand that you need to get yourself fixed up properly before you end up in a situation where you can't lift anything at all - then they don't deserve you!

If you want - get remote access in for emergency's (you don't have to, once you'r signed off your outta there!) and play it by ear, you may be ok to go in and sit at your desk after 2 weeks or you may not!

Thank Post
    that's exactly the same as me! Got booked in for beginning of Feb, was expecting 2 weeks but would gladly take a note for 6!

Thank Post
    In at 8:30 , finished op by 10:30 ( took them a bit longer than expected. ) home by 1:30pm.

Signed for two weeks, would have gone back after 2 days and done non manual stuff.

Ended up doing DIY and other light crap.

Ingrinal Hernia perchance?

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    (you don't have to, once you'r signed off your outta there!)
    Self employed so he give the sicknote to himself.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,415 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    that's exactly the same as me! Got booked in for beginning of Feb, was expecting 2 weeks but would gladly take a note for 6!
    Not if you're self employed you wouldn't or if you only get statutory sick pay.

Ben

Thank Post
    That's very true so not the same, not quite the same (my fault for skim reading!). Used to be self employed myself so I know what it means to be off.

Thank Post
    I take it you must be on a local anesthetic .

If it is an ingrinal, and your not one for wearing JOGGERS. Then buy a pair of braces so you don't have to wear a belt

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Self employed so he give the sicknote to himself.

Rob
    Whoopsie! That'll teach me to read!!

Thank Post
    It is a ingrinal indeed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDLEA View Post
    It is a ingrinal indeed.
    I would expect you will be doing light duties very very soon if the hernia has been cought early and you have a reasonable op. It's a very straightforward procedure usualy, mine was a little more complex hence it took about an hour and a half rather than 30-40 mins.

Rob

Thank Post
    Cheers Rob, Thats what I had heard from the guys at my running club that had it done, they said they were back lightly jogging within 2 weeks.

Can I ask rob what was it like pre and post op? I'm not keen on needles so not looking forward to that. Its bothering me more then what they will do when I'm asleep. When did you feel like you was ready for work?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDLEA View Post
    Cheers Rob, Thats what I had heard from the guys at my running club that had it done, they said they were back lightly jogging within 2 weeks.

Can I ask rob what was it like pre and post op? I'm not keen on needles so not looking forward to that. Its bothering me more then what they will do when I'm asleep. When did you feel like you was ready for work?
    Are you haveing a general rather than a local ?

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Are you haveing a general rather than a local ?

Rob
    Don't know yet, have a consultancy appointment in a few weeks

Thank Post
    It's such a straight forward procedure that it's usualy local. I would personaly have been more worried by a general.

Most likly on a local ,

A bit of a shave round the area, and on your leg for some thing else(cant rememeber)

Slight prick of a needle and then it all goes very numb ( VERY )

I felt movement of prodding and sorts from surrounding tissue but it was mildly odd and unconfortable but not painful.

The surgeon and theater staff should be talking to you general chit chat and updates on the procedure. Bit like the dentist realy except you can actualy answer without spitting lots of saliva over the pretty assistant.

Once done, it's the bed rest for a couple of hours , They make you eat and drink, make sure you pee and pack you off home with some light pain relife.

I used the Ibuprofein for that day. Went home and lay on the sofa watching TV.

Next day a bit tender but no pain relife needed, Bit slow walking round especialy on stairs.

And it just got slowly better over the next week or so till it was just nagging numbness.

I was told not to lift anything heavy for a couple of months. And I still take care. ( although I can lift full grown servers like old dell PE46000's )

2.5 Years down the line it does still sometimes have a numb nagging pain ( the area is quite numb due to the nerve damage on the scar site ( very feint now ) everyone has differing experience though. If I put on weight It seems to be a little more uncomfortable.

Overall though it's not a problem. Certainly here the whole experince from doctor to walking out the hospital was well managed. Been more nervous at interviews!!

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread