+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, How to get staff to use something new!!! in General; Hey Guys So we have this amazing solution called filecloud which gives our users access remotely from any mobile device ...

Thank Post

How to get staff to use something new!!!

Hey Guys

So we have this amazing solution called filecloud which gives our users access remotely from any mobile device or computer to our servers they just login and they can upload files to the staff share etc... Though checking on the record only 2 members of staff are using it on a regular basis. I haven't even seen one other member of staff use the solution at all. It's not just remotely either it allows all children to save their work from the ipads etc internally to our servers with a nice user interface. I find that staff will try things once and if they don't know what buttons to press and so forth they don't play with it and learn the software so it never gets made use of.

This is a huge shame because as far as I know we are the only primary school that can do this for miles!

How do I get staff to fully embrace something and use it to it's full potential, I've had a meeting about it, I've sent tutorial emails about it etc... I don't know what else I can do?

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    @alexbillbridgnorth:

Most people are afraid of anything new and teachers are no exception, I have found that the only way to is to promote through a presentation and then to re-enforce through one to one with the staff and give them the confidence to use it.

Maybe have a coffee and cake event after school and invite the staff to attend then give a quick presentation (Use the video supplied by the company) then give a live demo and then have a question and answer session after, all this should be no longer than 30 mins tops otherwise just like students they become bored and start to fidget hehe!

Good luck

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't force it. People will work how they feel is best - as long as you are giving them extra options then you are being proactive and don't really have a problem. We have similar using Home Access Plus, it's uptake is growing as time goes on which is great, and often this happens in bursts when staff leave/start. New staff are often keen to get started and make full use of it, whereas the old ones are usually the less IT savvy folks who are just ticking over to retirement (as an example)

Thank Post
    Ok thanks guys hopefully there still will be hope and it's just a waiting game. I just feel the whole solution is wasted really. We see no increase when staff leave and really we should be that's what's worrying me!! I won't bother with a PPT as I have already done one in a meeting they all really liked the idea but no ones used it as of yet!

Thank Post
    You've done your bit by implementing the infrastructure. It's now down to your SLT, or whoever, to push it.

We have the same issue here. Installed a brand spanking new Ruckus System which is superb, but no staff use it to its full potential. They all have tablets/laptops but none bring them in to use. BYOD isn't pushed enough.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 800 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In addition to what @bossman has said, I've always found it handy to have a 'champion' of it within the staff.

Find someone you know will make good use of it, get them fully trained and confident, and show them some examples of what they could do. They'll then get their teeth into it, and tell the other staff what they're doing. You'll then find the other staff will learn about it through osmosis (teachers have a semi permeable membrane )

Before you know it you'll have people asking "why wasn't I told about this?!" ....which is a whole different issue

7. 2 Thanks to Domino:

bossman (7th January 2014), LosOjos (7th January 2014)

rad
    Thank Post
    Run a lunchtime club for the kids, they will then teach the staff!

9. Thanks to rad from:

Oaktech (7th January 2014)

Thank Post
    I would ask the question, "why did you implement it in the first place?" Was there even a need for it? If the staff didn't have a need before you installed the system, im pretty certain most wont have a need after you installed it.

If it was installed as a result of the staff needing the features it offers then they will eventually buy into it.

James

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    adding to what @bossman and @Domino said, even better if said staff champion is from the English/Maths department - I find if I can get one of those two departments using something, everyone else will follow. Think of English/Maths as the Joneses and every other department as the jealous neighbour

Thank Post
    There was need for it as we have iPads and needed to upload pages files etc onto a server. The remote access is just a bonus! The problem is that teachers aren't working with it to make their life easier instead they rebel and are now putting names on the back of ipads so the kids know what ipad to pick up as their stuff is stored locally onto it. Problem here is we have other children deleting other childrens work all sorts of problems. They have a perfect solution there to this but still won't use it. The staff we're all raving in the meeting before we bought it saying they want it to remotely login to staff share but of course when it's implemented and there they don't make use of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    I would ask the question, "why did you implement it in the first place?" Was there even a need for it? If the staff didn't have a need before you installed the system, im pretty certain most wont have a need after you installed it.

If it was installed as a result of the staff needing the features it offers then they will eventually buy into it.

James

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    The staff we're all raving in the meeting before we bought it saying they want <<insert any equally new tech here>> but of course when it's implemented and there they don't make use of it.
    Isn't this how all teachers are??

Thank Post
    Haha Agreed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    Isn't this how all teachers are??

Thank Post
    I guess the starting point is "what (if anything) are they using instead" and from there "why is this so much better that they will want to change".

Assuming the answer to the first question is Dropbox, is the answer to the second question about safeguarding or data protection etc? If it is then park the issue in management's hands to issue the appropriate edicts.

If it's just the case that it's your in-house solution to a problem that the commercial world has solved adequately then I guess you may need to take a hard decision about whether it was needed in the first place and whether moving those two users to Dropbox and closing your service would be more cost effective thing to do overall.

Thank Post
    You really need to sell the benefits to staff - making their lives easier, saving time, won't loose work incase of memory pen corruption.

It's about drop feeding the information, mentioning it whenever possible.

Thank Post
    Know what you want to change and how to recognise when you have achieved that (or failed). You simply want more people to use a system? There must be a bit more to it than that.
    Focus on success : 2 people are using it. Find out why (what for) and what that is making a difference to.
    Keep the message simple and precise : "Do X to achive Y" is better than "our technology is good and will make your life better".

Switch: How to change things when change is hardis a worthwhile read for anyone who might delight in some fresh insight into change.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast