+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Gov proposes 60mph motorway speed limit in General; IMHO, Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control ( Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) and, eventually, driverless cars ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    IMHO, Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control (Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and, eventually, driverless cars is the real answer to the problem. Then maybe we can do motorway speeds of 100mph+, tailgating all the way, without causing phantom jams and conjestion.

Thank Post
    An easy way they can cut pollution is to stop putting traffic lights at every junction and roundabout near me.

There never used to be traffic getting around but they keep putting traffic lights in. Every light causes more traffic.

Theyve managed to block the right hand lane of a dual cartridge way by putting traffic lights into the doc. That's sensible and safe.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Please no..... it should be 80mph!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dany2010 View Post
    An easy way they can cut pollution is to stop putting traffic lights at every junction and roundabout near me.

There never used to be traffic getting around but they keep putting traffic lights in. Every light causes more traffic.

Theyve managed to block the right hand lane of a dual cartridge way by putting traffic lights into the doc. That's sensible and safe.
    try driving through doncaster if you come from the station to sandal park tehre are something like 15 sets of lights in 4 miles and if you come from the a1 add onother 3 miles and sets. It got worse when they removed all the pedestrian bridges/underpasses and replaced with crossings

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dany2010 View Post

Interesting you say that. There was some research a while ago that removing traffic lights improved traffic flow and reduced pollution, along with reducing collisions/incidents as everyone just drove more attentively.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Interesting you say that. There was some research a while ago that removing traffic lights improved traffic flow and reduced pollution, along with reducing collisions/incidents as everyone just drove more attentively.
    cant say im suprised as on a road full of traffic lights thats where your attention is without them you look round more

Thank Post
    There is a very large roundabout just before the motorway near where I live and without the lights they added a while back it was impossible to get onto it from anything but the three main routes on/off it. The other more minor roads were blocked by the constant queues of cars from the main roads, especially at peak times. Even with the lights it is not easy as so many drivers ignore the amber stop light which means there are very few gaps for the traffic from the minor roads to join. Thankfully all the roads are being converted to traffic light controlled ones.

With regard to speed limits, for a while now I have kept my speed down to no more than a speedo indicated 70 (ie probably actually about 65) and the savings in fuel have been amazing!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    IMHO, Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control (Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and, eventually, driverless cars is the real answer to the problem. Then maybe we can do motorway speeds of 100mph+, tailgating all the way, without causing phantom jams and conjestion.
    Sounds good, but not in several lifetimes...unless all cars are replaced at once...or if special roads for those with money are created...actually the present government wouldn't have too much of a problem with that last idea

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    There is a very large roundabout just before the motorway near where I live and without the lights they added a while back it was impossible to get onto it from anything but the three main routes on/off it. The other more minor roads were blocked by the constant queues of cars from the main roads, especially at peak times. Even with the lights it is not easy as so many drivers ignore the amber stop light which means there are very few gaps for the traffic from the minor roads to join. Thankfully all the roads are being converted to traffic light controlled ones.
    That comes down to it being a poorly designed junction then really. They designed it badly, and their fix is to add something which damages traffic flow more, rather than redesigning it to suit the type of traffic involved.

Thank Post
    A couple of weeks ago, I was going to Bristol Airport and as it was 4am on Boxing Day, I decided to follow the satnav along the M32 and through town. Virtually every traffic light turned to red as I approached it and some of them took ages to go to green. I suppose it's some ploy to stop speeding at night but damned annoying. Even so, it was still marginally quicker than my usual route from Gordano services then cross country to Barrow Gurney. It would be a lot longer with traffic.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That comes down to it being a poorly designed junction then really. They designed it badly, and their fix is to add something which damages traffic flow more, rather than redesigning it to suit the type of traffic involved.
    It is just a roundabout with 3 major and 4 minor roads joining it, I don't see how anything but traffic lights could make it work as there is just too much traffic trying to get on/off the motorway. As I said it works ok when drivers respect the lights, as then there are enough "gaps" to let the side traffic on/off the roundabout. Before the lights the drivers just queued nose to tail around the roundabout and would rarely let anybody join from the sides.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    It is just a roundabout with 3 major and 4 minor roads joining it, I don't see how anything but traffic lights could make it work as there is just too much traffic trying to get on/off the motorway. As I said it works ok when drivers respect the lights, as then there are enough "gaps" to let the side traffic on/off the roundabout. Before the lights the drivers just queued nose to tail around the roundabout and would rarely let anybody join from the sides.
    Off the top of my head, you'd stop it being a point of convergence. You redirect the ends of the roads spacing them out over a short distance, allowing a more gradual introduction of traffic from the feeding roads. Or, you feed the minor roads into the major roads, which then converge (so you have 3 major roads, each having had 1 or 2 minor roads fed into it before hitting the junction).

They did some of these up where I used to live. It was a major construction job but it has resolved the issues without the need for damaging the general flow of traffic by adding traffic lights.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, I was going to Bristol Airport and as it was 4am on Boxing Day, I decided to follow the satnav along the M32 and through town. Virtually every traffic light turned to red as I approached it and some of them took ages to go to green. I suppose it's some ploy to stop speeding at night but damned annoying. Even so, it was still marginally quicker than my usual route from Gordano services then cross country to Barrow Gurney. It would be a lot longer with traffic.
    Perhaps the lights hate you.

Or perhaps it's a scheme to fill the treasury coffers. Where did I put my tin foil hat....?
    Local councils can adopt "green wave" systems of sensors, where vehicles at or just below the speed limit trigger a succession of green lights.

Environmental and motoring groups say carbon emissions will be reduced.

Previously the Department for Transport (DfT) had discouraged the systems which reduce fuel use, resulting in less tax being paid to the Treasury.

But now, rather than seeing green wave systems as a "cost" to the public purse, the DfT views them as a "benefit."
    (my emphasis)
    BBC NEWS | UK | Drivers catch green lights 'wave'

Thank Post
    I've been reading about this on another forum. Someone speculated that this is because a "cheaper" managed motorway system is about to be deployed to ease congestion, and the reduction of the speed limit is to reduce the risk of accidents.

How true this is I don't know, I'm highly sceptical that they'd use a cheaper or different system than what's already in place on motorways already.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Or perhaps it's a scheme to fill the treasury coffers.
    A couple of years back I was talking to someone on a stand at the Royal Institute's summer exhibition. They were from Southampton Uni, and were demonstrating an "adaptive traffic light" system. Working on an AI like algorithm designed to smooth traffic flow. The lack of "green wave" around Southampton came up ( a pet hate of mine having lived there) and he confirmed this. Southampton's lights were (still seem to be) phased to cause congestion.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast