+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, The sheer audacity of Cameron in General; Originally Posted by Earthling When Thatcher began selling off council houses (and who said they were hers to sell, anyway?) ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    When Thatcher began selling off council houses (and who said they were hers to sell, anyway?) and, at the same time, restricting local council's rights to build more stock, that was when the seeds of where we are today were laid.
    Yes its is all Thatchers fault again Nothing to do with the 20 years of governemnts since then....

The real problem is trying to build out and not up. Land is at a premium so stop putting 10 houses on a bit of land where 200 apartments could go.

Thank Post
    I've got a three bed Victorian Terrace with a small mortgage because I live in the North East. Not planning to buy, not planning to sell. Help to buy, no thanks it will finance another bubble, and when interest rates rise I won't be bothered. When the bubble pops all the expensive houses in the South will take the brunt of the fall. All the new aspirational house buyers will be devestated.

and i'll laugh, oh how i'll laugh...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    Yes its is all Thatchers fault again Nothing to do with the 20 years of governemnts since then....
    On this particular issue, I do think Thatcher had a lot to answer for. The "right to buy" policy itself I think was a good idea, no problem with that at all. It was the restricting of local authorities from replenashing stock that caused the biggest problem. Right to buy should have been married with a policy of income gained through sale of council stock should only have been used in refurbashing or new housing stock - rather than pocketing the money as most authorities did.

But sure, successive governments did nothing to rectify the problem. Personnally I think it's one of the biggest travisties of the last Labour government that they never sorted this mess out why they were in power.

I agree with above, we need a 50's/60's style mass social housing development scheme urgently. And we need to be less precious about the "green belt" while we are at it.

Edit: I don't think the housing bubble will burst (or at least not drastically) until there is a major development scheme in place. Probably why successive governments have avoided it.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 6th January 2014 at 02:47 PM.

Thank Post
    No, the only problem is NOT building anywhere near the necessary numbers of new houses, not whether they're built upwards, downwards, sideways or corner-to-corner....they're just not being built. Well, that and the fact that too many people buying their homes would, all of a sudden, see about 100,000 ( I would reckon) knocked off the value of their house as supply begins to meet demand.

And Yes, it is all Thatcher's fault.......she started it. Other governments could have done more to avoid or at least alleviate the problems, but ultimately, it's all down to her for implementing it with ALL THE WRONG motives. It was a vote-getter, pure and simple, and she got the votes and we all know where that ended.

If you believe it was some sort of philanthropic, largesse-spreading, wealth-sharing, owner-occupier-empowering plan, then.......I don't know.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    On this particular issue, I do think Thatcher had a lot to answer for. The "right to buy" policy itself I think was a good idea, no problem with that at all. It was the restricting of local authorities from replenashing stock that caused the biggest problem. Right to buy should have been married with a policy of income gained through sale of council stock should only have been used in refurbashing or new housing stock - rather than pocketing the money as most authorities did.

But sure, successive governments did nothing to rectify the problem. Personnally I think it's one of the biggest travisties of the last Labour government that they never sorted this mess out why they were in power.

I agree with above, we need a 50's/60's style mass social housing development scheme urgently. And we need to be less precious about the "green belt" while we are at it.

Edit: I don't think the housing bubble will burst (or at least not drastically) until there is a major development scheme in place. Probably why successive governments have avoided it.
    Completely agree. I live in the 'Green Belt' and it really give me peace of mind to know that, should my children or grandchildren EVER be able to afford to buy a house where they were born and grew up, they'll have nice green fields to look out onto...................NOT.

The Green Belt is just another way of saying 'Not In My Back Yard', without being so up front about it.

Yes.....green fields, hedgerows and open countryside are very nice, but I happen to believe in people first, and too many people are, or are about to be, homeless. By 'homeless', I mean unable to afford to rent or buy their own home, so end up staying with families.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Yes.....green fields, hedgerows and open countryside are very nice, but I happen to believe in people first, and too many people are, or are about to be, homeless. By 'homeless', I mean unable to afford to rent or buy their own home, so end up staying with families.
    That is one of the greatest problems with mankind. The belief that we are the most important thing on the planet. How about we curb the sprawling destruction of the natrual habitat? How about we stop breeding so much? How about families learn to live together again like we used to rather then using some false sense that we are entitled to do as we please?

Thank Post
    What were Labour to do? Re-nationalise our* houses that Maggie had sold off? (One, perhaps cynical, view is that she sold them to "poor people" so they couldn't afford to strike any more as they now had mortgages to support).

As to not building new houses; the south is getting over run with development. I live in a market town with a population of c 30000. Currently 800 houses being built, and applications in for another 13-1600. The drainage system is already broken, and the roads hopelessly choked. Do the LA care? Not a bit of it, they are 20 miles away, and totally out of touch.

For the price of a 4 bed house here (>250000) you could buy whole streets up north. We need to shift the population back up north; preferably by creating real jobs up there that people will move for.

*In the sense that they belonged to the Nation, not me. Although I have bought two ex-LA houses over the years

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    How about families learn to live together again like we used to rather then using some false sense that we are entitled to do as we please?
    This is an interesting (and very valid) point - in some parts of Europe you'll see three generations of the same family under one roof, and nobody thinks that this is unusual or unsuitable. However, in Britain and even moreso the US people are almost expected to move out when they hit 20 or so, and if you don't then there's something wrong with you.

Thank Post
    While we're moaning about Thatcher - don't forget that she abolished rent controls as well - so the rents charged could balloon upwards - great for the landlords in the short term - very bad for the tenants and people claiming housing benefits now - especially with the news that whole swathes of landlords will no longer consider renting to those on benefits - it ain't gonna be pretty...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12