+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Playstation 4 and Xbox One emulators in General; Hey Guys So in history for the PS2 and other consoles you have always been able to get an emulator ...

Thank Post

Playstation 4 and Xbox One emulators

Hey Guys

So in history for the PS2 and other consoles you have always been able to get an emulator so you can play the games on a PC. This changed when the PS3 and Xbox 360 came out because of the difference in architecture of the hardware it couldn't be done! If I'm wrong I'd love to see one that actually works fully!

Though now the PS4 and the Xbox One are out and are based on x86 architecture they are basically small computers it wouldn't surprise me if we see an emulator being released in the next year for these consoles what do you reckon seems Sony and Microsoft have made it very easy for a hacker to do this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can play 360/PS3/PS4 through the XB1 in any case...i hooked my 360 into the HDMI in slot as I only have 1 hdmi slot on my tv. Works quite well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    it wouldn't surprise me if we see an emulator being released in the next year for these consoles
    It would surprise me hugely. No doubt people have been working on it since the day they were released but I'd imagine there is a lot of security in the way of them reverse engineering them. Also while the architecture may be the same, it isn't like either console uses off the shelf parts, its all custom designed. Probably in the long term it is more likely than the last gen but I'd eat a lot of hats if it's done within the next year. Also at this point a PC powerful enough to run the games would cost at least as much as one of the consoles so there isn't a huge price incentive.

Thank Post
    I'm not sure it can be done legally, which it will have to be for the projects to not get sued into the ground.

For example the Xbone uses XBL to check if you can launch the game (stopping lending of games etc...) so the only way to make a game work in an emulator would be for that emulator to tie into XBL (M$ wont let that) or to fake the responses to let the game run anyway which is a breach of the EULA.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    It would surprise me hugely. No doubt people have been working on it since the day they were released but I'd imagine there is a lot of security in the way of them reverse engineering them. Also while the architecture may be the same, it isn't like either console uses off the shelf parts, its all custom designed. Probably in the long term it is more likely than the last gen but I'd eat a lot of hats if it's done within the next year. Also at this point a PC powerful enough to run the games would cost at least as much as one of the consoles so there isn't a huge price incentive.
    As long as it's a gaming computer, I think you'd be fine. My laptops has i7 Hexacore processor, 16GB Ram and a Nvidia 770m! It would easily cope with PS4's demand a lot of the time a £400 computer exceeds the spec of a PS4? I may be wrong there might be more factors involved?

Its not about price it's more so finding solution to play all exclusives such as the last of us and for example Halo and PC game exclusives all on one box
    Last edited by abillybob; 2nd January 2014 at 05:27 PM.

Thank Post
    I doubt you'll see any popping up within the lifespan of the consoles TBH. I suspect there's more custom hardware/design in the boxes even though a high end PC is undoubtedly more powerful overall. Even if it were possible and someone created one MS/Sony would bury them pretty sharpish. It only really seems to be tolerated for older game systems which the manufacturers are no longer making.

If I had to guess I think you'll be waiting 5+ years before anything usable appears as AFAIK there still aren't any emulators available for the PS3/360 which play commercial games and they've been out even longer than that.

7. Thanks to flyinghaggis from:

abillybob (2nd January 2014)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    I'm not sure it can be done legally, which it will have to be for the projects to not get sued into the ground.

For example the Xbone uses XBL to check if you can launch the game (stopping lending of games etc...) so the only way to make a game work in an emulator would be for that emulator to tie into XBL (M$ wont let that) or to fake the responses to let the game run anyway which is a breach of the EULA.
    Technically, if you have the code but never agreed to an EULA in the first place by using the physical console you can't breach it...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread