+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Grammar and spelling in General; Is it just me or is the standard of spelling and grammar on here starting to slip? I know at ...
    richard

Grammar and spelling

Is it just me or is the standard of spelling and grammar on here starting to slip? I know at times that I have been guilty of poor spelling and grammar, but recently there seems to have been an influx of "text speak" and a general lack of grammar and increase in poor spelling. Its no to bad if it is just a general post but if it is to do with a specific problem then it makes trying to offer assistance more difficult.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Re: Grammar and spelling

There must be a php module for the site that will do simple txt2English conversion, as soon as the post is posted it should be automatically transformed into English !

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

It's getting worser and not betterer - and with the added bonus of myself suffering dyslexia then hey.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I think a disproportionate number of computer geeks are dyslexic, has anybody else noticed this?

richard

I can understand things like dyslexia and don't have a problem with that. What bugs me is the rise in the use of "Text Speech" and other slang being used on here.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Hilariously I was thinking this after seeing the title "Site u mite want to look at" and saw this thread directly below it in my unread list.

I hate l33t and txtspk and it just makes me ignore what the person has to say. How much harder is it to type "you" instead of "u" and "might" instead of "mite"

I can understand it to an extent on other forums, but this is a forum for people in Education. How can the kids be expected to do things correctly if their superiors can't write in proper english.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Midget
    I can understand it to an extent on other forums, but this is a forum for people in Education. How can the kids be expected to do things correctly if their superiors can't write in proper english.
    Who said that we are superior to the kids

Thank Post

As one of the "younger generation" I've been bought up to write properly and have never really been a big fan of txt-speak as it were, but I do tend to shorten yeah to yh and indeed to idd if it's just an MSN convo. I have however been guilty of letting yh slip onto the boards and lol etc.

I suppose it helps that my last two phones didn't have the nasty ABC/numeric keypads but an onscreen keyboard and a qwerty thumb board respectively. My gran uses more txt speak than I do, it's quite funny actually because I can't understand most of what she's trying to tell me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well as most guilty party when it comes to bad spelling and grammar (again due to dyslexic). I do think reason there is more people suffering from dyslexic in IT is due to dyslexic suffers using IT as coping mechanism.

Same as there large percentage of have some kind of autism as characteristics and coping mechanisms of these 'disorders' means IT is very good.

If you notice with my posts word 'the' gets missed out a lot I have blind spot for it due to the dyslexic.

Agree I can't stand text speak and try not to use it and like Joe my current phone has qwerty keyboard.

Russell

Thank Post

I also cannot stand text speak and bad spelling really gets my goat. Forgetting about dyslexia (of course) there is just no need for it and I think it boils down to people being lazy.

Last year my local butchers had a sign in their window for sausages;

"Bye one get one free" It was after they had shut, I went back to my car found a scrap bit of paper and pen and wrote a note telling them it should be "Buy one get one free" - the next day the sign was down ad didn't go back up.
    What also made me mad about that is that self employed people get all the help with tax breaks etc, the least they can do is learn a bit of basic english.

Grrrr

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Midget
    Hilariously I was thinking this after seeing the title "Site u mite want to look at" and saw this thread directly below it in my unread list.

I hate l33t and txtspk and it just makes me ignore what the person has to say. How much harder is it to type "you" instead of "u" and "might" instead of "mite"

Sorry that thread was mine. I know about writing in slang and im trying to cut down on here for you all. Also im a pupil so im not a Superior. Please say if I start writing in slang and ill edit it asap

Brendan

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Let me be a pratt and say I think txt speak/ however the fark ya wanna express yourself is alright with me.

I'm a fan of correct grammer/ spelling etc in context - but come on world - lighten up, we're not a forum for the preservation of correctness of the written form - why the hell do we want to be so anal?

This is IT - we learn new stuff in our jobs/ lives daily, more so than most. Is it really asking too much for us to learn a few different communication skills.

Yeah if you're being deliberately obscure/ whatever, by using terms the wider world won't understand..

Then again I see no one being pulled up for the old acronym sin - these are almost admired. Most of the time I have no idea what old grumblepants is on about with his mangle-speak - but hey - I live to learn.

Did I miss out insulting anyone?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Let me be a pratt
    Do you mean prat? :P

I agree that on this site we should really try to stick to proper English, as it is a site for professionals.

Personally, I try to avoid text speak in all aspects of my life, as I think it is eroding the English language and damaging the education of the 'youth of today'. The number of kids who can't spell properly and slip into text speak in essays is appauling.

But then, I am one of those people who enjoys arguments about things like the definition of 'irony' and whether or not to use the Oxford comma.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    But then, I am one of those people who enjoys arguments about things like the definition of 'irony' .....
    To lighten the thread did someone mention ironing....

For all you new members go ask Grumbledook about best way of ironing a shirt or do a search on here for the word ironing...

Now do you do sleeves first??

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Click on my homepage button to find out how to use my jabber instant messenger server and chat with other edugeek users. Or PM me.
    Click on my homepage button to find out how to use my Jabber instant messenger server to chat with other EduGeek users, or PM me.

Pendantry practi(s/c)*e :P

* Delete as appropriate

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast