+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Grammar and spelling in General; Originally Posted by mark Yeah, that's funny! I'm sure i've used a 'PS' on these boards before. Next time, try ...

Thank Post

Re: Grammar and spelling

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Yeah, that's funny! I'm sure i've used a 'PS' on these boards before.
    Next time, try the "Edit" button.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beeswax
    And on the subject of ironing, everyone knows you do the sleeves first!
    With shirts, you either do the back of the collar, or as some prefer, the inside of the cuff first, just in case you mark the material.
    And you always do the heaviest materials first... Plenty of steam on the cotton and linen items, doing the collar first, then across the shoulders, cuffs, arms, both sections of the front, then the back ... and the check off the areas that need tidying up.

Then you move onto the lighter weight materials ... wools first, and if you are worried use a thin, linen cloth to protect from initial burn. Once the iron has cooled down you can removed the protective cloth. Careful of the steam on wool though, it can lead to stretching if you are too heavy on pressing, or shrinking if you leave it damp before ironing.

And then we get on to synthetics ...

Ah ... the pleasure of being able to iron synthetics and stop it from having the horrible shine it gets on one side (if you are not careful!)

Ironing ... it is more that a nightly activity ... it is art.

erm ...

I'll get my coat. It's the one with the iPhone with Extreme ironing set as the homepage.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Some people are just too flibbertigibbet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries

Personally, I have no particular dislike for txt-, l337-, k3w1- or H4><0rz speak as long as it is used in the correct place.

I came to usenet and IRC before came for web-based forums and there was always a certain emphasis made on ensuring that you were not misunderstood, either in your meaning or your emotions. Perhaps it helped that the first few places I frequented had a high number of people for whom English was an additional language.

As someone who has problems with dyslexia, I have learnt a variety of techniques to help deal with this, similar to those with stammers have techniques to reduce the chance of conversations coming to a st- st- st- stop! (a friend with a stammer intentionally writes emails this way otherwise it just does not sound right!)

We also have to remember that for a large proportion of the history of *any* language is that it is spoken. We are now at the stage in development of world society where written language takes precedence over the spoken word for a large proportion of the globe's information laden section of the population.

We also need to remember that dialects are being replaced by socialects (the structure and sound of words is based around social perceptions and social status).

American English is quite 'pure' in the respect that for a certain amount of time they tried to protect it from being diluted or distorted. The UK tends to have the view that change to a language is growth. The OED never removes words, it only ever adds. Words are changed in their use and meaning and this should be cherished.

However, we should, as a community, try to ensure that there is as little chance for misunderstandings are possible and if that is helped by members not using txt speak, etc, then we should stick to a common language and phrasing ... that which is often called The Queen's English.

This is, as always, personal opinion and open for discussion.

richard

Quote Originally Posted by RoyG
    Quote Originally Posted by richard
    Is it just me or is the standard of spelling and grammar on here starting to slip? I know at times that I have been guilty of poor spelling and grammar, but recently there seems to have been an influx of "text speak" and a general lack of grammar and increase in poor spelling. Its no to bad if it is just a general post but if it is to do with a specific problem then it makes trying to offer assistance more difficult.
    Sorry - couldn't resist this! Shouldn't it be "It's not too bad"?

RoyG
    The odd mistake I can live with as we are all human..........

Thank Post

I am dyslexic, my spelling is erratic, I am sorry if my disability offends anyone.

richard

Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY
    I am dyslexic, my spelling is erratic, I am sorry if my disability offends anyone.
    I am not having ago at those who have dyslexia but at those who cannot be bothered to check their posts for spelling and grammar prior to posting just to save a few seconds.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY
    Sorry ICT_GUY, but this has to stop being bandied around. There is a difference between dyslexic mistakes and simple lazy writing - this is apparent to everyone who is complaining about poor English. So, please, stop making it an issue about dyslexia. The comment was about text speak and poor grammar/spelling that goes with it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries

I am not having ago at those who have dyslexia but at those who cannot be bothered to check their posts for spelling and grammar prior to posting just to save a few seconds.
    Like not putting a space between a and go just then? :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,382 Times in 1,676 Posts

I agree with Richard - writing proper English on the forum should not be a problem for most people. Textspeak was developed for speed and this is not such an issue on a forum.

Dyslexia or other genuine disability apart (and I agree, do stop bringing it up at every opportunity) I agree that many people do not read over their posts before putting them up. It only takes a moment and means that you are sure that you are clearly understood by the majority of people.
    I also think that if you want to be taken seriously by others, you should be careful about the way you express yourself to others who are perhaps not your contemporaries in age or experience.
    (opens can of worms - leaps back)

Thank Post

I tend to not proof read of check what i have typed. Most likely will not in this message, this is due to using my mobile phone alot.
    I mainly use r = are, u = you, and often miss apostrophes.
    I can't see what would be the problem with it, i can understand, if someone could not understand, but surely you just post a message saying can you repeat that, as you would in person say, can you repeat that.
    What really gets me is if i accidentally spell something wrong, and then you get some obnoctious person who rubs it in your face that you made a mistake, you wouldn't do this to someone in person.

richard

Quote Originally Posted by tomscaper
    What really gets me is if i accidentally spell something wrong, and then you get some obnoctious person who rubs it in your face that you made a mistake, you wouldn't do this to someone in person.
    If you are having a dig me then please feel free to send me a PM and I will be more than happy for us to deal with this matter on a more personal level.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tomscaper
    If you are having a dig me then please feel free to send me a PM and I will be more than happy for us to deal with this matter on a more personal level.
    No i am not saying that you are, you were just discussing the use of grammar, spelling and punctuation.
    I didn't mean it to come off that way, i was just trying to put across, that in the past i have been flamed and sent abusive comments due to spelling and such. And that i cant see the point of it.

Thank Post

I can't belive this thread has gone on for so long!!!! If I wanted someone to pick at my english and grammer I'd post on the 'please feel free to pick at my english and grammer forum'.
    Come on does it really matter!!!

richard

Quote Originally Posted by rush_tech
    I can't belive this thread has gone on for so long!!!! If I wanted someone to pick at my english and grammer I'd post on the 'please feel free to pick at my english and grammer forum'.
    Come on does it really matter!!!
    Well we all need a way to boost our post count.................lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast