+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Grammar and spelling in General; Originally Posted by webman Click on my homepage button to find out how to use my jabber instant messenger server ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Grammar and spelling

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Click on my homepage button to find out how to use my jabber instant messenger server and chat with other edugeek users. Or PM me.
    Click on my homepage button to find out how to use my Jabber instant messenger server to chat with other EduGeek users, or PM me.

Pendantry practi(s/c)*e :P

* Delete as appropriate
    I will admit, capitalisation of pronouns is one area which I regularly slip up. Also, the 'Or PM me' bit was correct as it was, as it was an afterthought, as if I had ended my sentence and then said 'Oh, or you can do this'. :P

And on the subject of ironing, everyone knows you do the sleeves first! :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

MSword's speelchucker said it was a fragment and you should consider revising, so ner :P

I'm just nit-picking

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

MSword's speelchucker said it was a fragment and you should consider revising, so ner :P

I'm just nit-picking
    Haha, Microsoft's checker is well known for being useless. :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    Did you mean: Microsoft is well known for being uesless?

I remember back in Office 97, a spelling suggestion for 'zzzz' was 'sex' - somehow...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    Did you mean: Microsoft is well known for being uesless?

I remember back in Office 97, a spelling suggestion for 'zzzz' was 'sex' - somehow...
    Ah, the memories! Wasting hours messing with Office's many bugs

Anyway, what am I doing posting on here at 12:37 when Star Trek is on?!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Sometimes :P the Queen's strictest just won't cut it. Written slang (and any other popular forms of written communication) has it's place I believe, and is actually the real language, and has not been forced upon us by the few.

I don't think it's a fair pressure to put on anyone, to try and make them aticulate themselves in a way that they're not entirely comfortable with.

Surely if you're into the finer points of the english language, you're also a bit of an expert anyway, and really it'd be a lot less effort for you to work out a few colloqialisms and modern forms of language, than expect the rest of the world to change for you.

Not that I don't have the greatest respect, just I think it should be the other way around too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

W - Washing
    I - Ironing
    F - Can't say that rude word
    E - Etc

richard

I didn't mean to start a big argument about this subject. All I wanted to do was raise what I thought was a valid point. At the end of the day though we are a site for professionals we should at least try to keep slang down to a minimum.

Thank Post

And on the subject of ironing, everyone knows you do the sleeves first!
    With shirts, you either do the back of the collar, or as some prefer, the inside of the cuff first, just in case you mark the material.

Thank Post

Surely if you're into the finer points of the english language, you're also a bit of an expert anyway, and really it'd be a lot less effort for you to work out a few colloqialisms and modern forms of language, than expect the rest of the world to change for you.
    Just like IEEE 802.11, the Queen's, or BBC English is a standard by which we can all communicate. Of course there are variants from the norm as it's only human nature to explore and push boundaries.

I feel what is important here (Edugeek) is that the correct information is passed on, or a joke answer given, before somebody else beats you to the punch, and that strict use of grammar is not so important. Perhaps it's also worth bearing in mind that Edugeek now has over 4600 members, with a sizeable proportion coming from overseas, and whose knowledge of the English language is limited to the standard variety.

Oh, and what really p*sses me off is the use of 'Oh' when writing something down. 'Oh' is an afterthought, it's something you use when speaking, where you can't alter the flow of a narrative. Writing is not like that, you can edit a piece of text to include your afterthought so that it is relevant to the sequence of events.

Thank Post

Oh, and what really p*sses me off is the use of 'Oh' when writing something down. 'Oh' is an afterthought, it's something you use when speaking, where you can't alter the flow of a narrative. Writing is not like that, you can edit a piece of text to include your afterthought so that it is relevant to the sequence of events

Oh! I wasn't aware of that.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

oh! [/sopranos]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beeswax
    Oh, and what really p*sses me off is the use of 'Oh' when writing something down. 'Oh' is an afterthought
    Yeah, that's funny! I'm sure i've used a 'PS' on these boards before.

The thing is tho' there may always be a valid reason, for comic effect or whatever, to use that, so there can't be any rules.

English is such a complex language too. It might actally help wider understanding if people spelt words as they're pronounced rather than correctly! :P

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by richard
    Is it just me or is the standard of spelling and grammar on here starting to slip? I know at times that I have been guilty of poor spelling and grammar, but recently there seems to have been an influx of "text speak" and a general lack of grammar and increase in poor spelling. Its no to bad if it is just a general post but if it is to do with a specific problem then it makes trying to offer assistance more difficult.
    Sorry - couldn't resist this! Shouldn't it be "It's not too bad"?

RoyG

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Sometimes :P the Queen's strictest just won't cut it. Written slang (and any other popular forms of written communication) has it's place I believe, and is actually the real language, and has not been forced upon us by the few.

I don't think it's a fair pressure to put on anyone, to try and make them aticulate themselves in a way that they're not entirely comfortable with.

Not that I don't have the greatest respect, just I think it should be the other way around too.
    I don't disagree with regional variation (such as 'nowt' up north, etc...) and modern variation of the English language, as this is just normal evolution. For example the use of 'Phone' instead of 'Telephone' - both are acceptable, and you don't have to put an apostophe before the P when using Phone.

The point I am trying to make is just a dislike for text speak - it isn't a positive way forward for the English language as it makes it more difficult to understand unless you know what the tiny abbrieviations mean - and as people make them up as they go along, this is often not possible.

As for colloquialisms, they are fine in spoken language and informal written communications, but should be avoided in anything formal.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast