+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, BBC News: BBC Sport - Michael Schumacher Injured In Skiing Accident In France in General; Link: BBC Sport - Michael Schumacher injured in skiing accident in France...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 817 Posts
    Blog Entries

BBC News: BBC Sport - Michael Schumacher Injured In Skiing Accident In France

Thank Post
    Now being reported that he's in a coma and in a critical condition.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Apparently hit his head on a rock even though the helmet...

XiJ

Thank Post
    Former F1 Doc on Twitter is worth following. He's provided great medical info

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    aye keeping a close eye on this. Not deserved. Too many morons on Twitter are calling it Karma. The guy has a family, he's easily the best modern driver since Senna and is believe or not a decent bloke. The difference between him and Vettel is a mountain of skill, ability and Schumacher being on a crossover of eras, from when you could get away with cheating bare faced (1994, also see Senna) and where you have to be damn clever about it (Red Bull/Vettel). Moot though, it's not deserved, hope he pulls through. The majority of people think Schumacher when they think of F1.

6. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

speckytecky (30th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,500 Times in 1,346 Posts
    Indeed can't stand him as a driver personally but hope he makes a full recovery.

Ben

Thank Post
    Having also suffered a head injury whilst ski-ing I can empathise with this situation. He was wearing a helmet - a very wise investment and this story only serves to promote slope safety. I imagine if he has not been wearing a helmet we would be reading an obituary - ski-ing accidents can be horrific with a goodly portion of less experienced skiers literally knocked off their feet by flying snowboarders (I've been taken out myself a few times despite being moderately competent with lower-reds) or each other and this early in the season the snow cover can often be icy and patchy so I imagine these factors will have affected his accident. Broken legs and arms are common sights apre ski and one memorable year my partner was treated to the glorious view of a woman's shattered tibia as it protruded out of her gore-covered trousers. Risky business Ski-ing but all skiers understand and accept the risks inherent to strapping yourself to one or two bits of plastic and throwing yourself down the side of an icy mountain. Unfortunate but sadly commonplace and if the plight of a celebrity might raise awareness of piste safety then mores the good.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 817 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    ...with a goodly portion of less experienced skiers literally knocked off their feet by flying snowboarders...
    In a news bulletin I heard earlier today they speculated that a technical fault may be a factor here. Possible causes were speculated as follows:

Faulty binding giving way or [perhaps?] Schumacher had not done the bindings up properly before setting off.

All guesswork on the part of the journalists at this stage.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There is a lot of rubbish from the journos at the moment. Jennie Gow suggested only believing what comes from the press conferences, mostly after everyone (and I mean everyone) was reporting about a 2nd operation last night which never actually happened.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    In a news bulletin I heard earlier today they speculated that a technical fault may be a factor here. Possible causes were speculated as follows:

Faulty binding giving way or [perhaps?] Schumacher had not done the bindings up properly before setting off.

All guesswork on the part of the journalists at this stage.
    Ski Bindings are designed to pop open in an accident so I'd be wary of assuming too much and reading too much into 'journalist' reports. I've become separated from my skis a few times in accidents. He may have had a faulty binding on the ski but boots have multiple binding points and an experienced skier will KNOW when their boots are too loose immediately so it is doubtful he'd proceed onto a run with loose boot bindings. A too loose boot is not always detrimental to the skier either - it depends which bindings are loose - as long as the shin bindings are done up then the toe bindings are more or less superfluous. I've skied with my toe bindings loose loads of times.

Purely speculation but what is more likely is that he hit a patch of something - ice, dirt, protruding rocks etc, spun out and whacked his head. A lot of it will be determined by how fast he was going and what method of ski-ing he was using - the 'french' method has skiers ski with their skis very close together and they zoom around like crazy - I'm not brave enough to try it tbh. I just stick to my hip width stance and my carving.

Thank Post
    Huh? Bindings are the bits that hold your boots to the skis; front and back of the boot. If these are loose, you can loose a ski if you put a lot of effort into a turn. If your toe clips aren't done up, you don't get so much "feel" for what is going on, and no, you boot clips most certainly shouldn't come undone!.

I've broken the heel clip once, not sure if it was before or after the fairly hard, but ultimately not too serious, fall. It was a long walk down the mountain. I could ski black comfortably, but haven't been for some years. And I hate the sound of an out of control snowboarder slithering towards you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is there a particular noise one of those makes? Other than "wwwwwaaaaaAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHH" of course?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I saw some footage of Schuey on skis - he looks like a highly proficient skier.

The media don't have many facts, so they speculate. It fills air time and inches of webspace.

It's probably just a horrible accident - just bad luck.

It comes out of the blue - a few of us went off-piste (snowboarding) and one of our crowd wiped out and broke several ribs on hidden rocks under deep snow.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,500 Times in 1,346 Posts

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Is there a particular noise one of those makes? Other than "wwwwwaaaaaAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHH" of course?
    There is a particular sort of sound the Snowboard makes, especially when the piste is packed hard its a sort of Skrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssssssssssssssshhhhhhhh sound and it's terrifying when it's coming down behind you.

I should clarify re: Boot clips and Ski bindings.

Ski bindings are designed to release at a certain force. This is set by the technician according to your weight, experience, height etc. This is the DIN setting. If you own your own skis you likely manage your own DIN settings and more experienced skiers will likely have the release force set considerably higher than a beginner. If you rent skis at resort (TBH I prefer to rent skis rather than have to worry about maintaining my own. I have my own boots though) the DIN setting will be high enough that the boot stays put under standard ski-ing 'stresses' but low enough that it will release before you end up with your knee bending the wrong way. Front and back tensions can be managed individually.

This is a good link for basic info: Ski Bindings Guide - Ski Equipment - Mechanics of Skiing

Similarly ski boots are not uniform. The more experienced a skier, the less flex the boot will have because it makes it more responsive. My partner has a much harder boot than I do. Different brands of boots will have different types and numbers of clips. I have a pair of HEAD boots similar to these but about 3 seasons old (they will need replacing in the next season or so): Head Dream 8.5 Ski Boots (Women's) | Peter Glenn

My boots have multiple clip adjustments from macro to micro adjustment and this was what I meant when I said I've skied with the toe clips undone - the top 2 and the power strap are the ones you open to be able to walk in the boot (out the locker room for example) but you can't ski at all unless they are done up. The one at the top of the foot is the one I have the most trouble with - too tight and my foot goes dead, too loose and I ski like a beginner. The bottom toe clip for me isn't all that important as the one at the top of the foot will often be tightened to the point that the toe clip can't get any tighter and it sits loosely. The fit of my boot changes throughout the week and day by day so there are no 'default' settings - what fits at the beginning of the week is really loose by the end - I don't know if others have found this but I defo end up doing my boots tighter towards the end of the week (apart from Black-and-Blue Wednesday when I can barely move). Some boot manufacturers have less clips - I once hired a spectacularly uncomfortable pair of NORDICA that had two clips (they were pretty old tbh) I ditched them within about 30 minutes of attempting to ski in them. Different boots fit differently too. Salomon tend to be really narrow which seem to work well for my partner but they shred my ankles. HEAD are wider so they accommodate my ankles better. Rossignol are too expensive for me lol. Although I do have a lovely pair of custom heat-moulded insoles for my boots - they are lush. I have quite flat feet though so to avoid ankle shreddage the techs at the boot shop built up my left arch support. My boots are brilliant now. Really not looking forward to having to replace them :-(
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 31st December 2013 at 10:33 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast