+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, BBC News: BBC Sport - Michael Schumacher Injured In Skiing Accident In France in General; "A new scan was taken this morning and it showed a slight improvement, a slight radiological improvement." Latest update. Ben...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    "A new scan was taken this morning and it showed a slight improvement, a slight radiological improvement."
    Latest update.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The only trustworthy source in this case has updated for the humans among us:

Tuesday press conference – take 1 | A Former F1 Doc Writes

Thank Post
    Ultimately Ski-ing is a dangerous sport. You strap yourself to two pieces of wood/plastic/carbon fibre and hurl yourself down the side of a mountain covered in powdered frozen water. Accidents happen, people get injured - sometimes very seriously, sometimes fatally and sometimes just enough to win bruise-of-the-week at the ski school awards. The person in question in this story was demonstrating good sense in wearing a helmet he just happened to be one of the unlucky ones that clobbered his head while having an accident doing something he was quite capable of doing - he wasn't out of his comfort zone, it was no-ones fault. It happened to me and it didn't dominate newspapers and news bulletins for days. I came over a blind crest on a short, steep red run that I've done hundreds of times that was well within my skill level and a beginner had accidently ended up on the run and instead of putting her skis straight and going for it (schuss) or taking them off and walking down to one side of the piste she was snowploughing. As it was a blind crest I didn't see her until I was already going quite fast. I attempted to avoid her (snowplough takes up a good chunk of the run and this one was pretty narrow), caught my ski in the side wall of the chute and went face first into a fence. I had migraines for months, debilitating, horrible migraines that landed me in hospital waiting for an MRI a couple of times. I nearly lost my job at the time because my then-boss (this was a previous role long before my current job) didn't believe that a migraine could be bad enough that I would be unable to work through it. I wish anyone suffering ski-related head injuries a swift recovery but know from experience that it will affect them for a long time - I still have trouble with it 5 years later especially when the weather gets cold because it aggravates the damage I did to my trigeminal nerve.

XiJ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post

Tuesday press conference take 1 | A Former F1 Doc Writes
    He's actually just commenting in the medical procedures rather than the case itself. It's fascinating and very educational though. I've followed him on twitter for a while - he's a good read!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Ultimately Ski-ing is a dangerous sport... sometimes fatally and sometimes just enough to win bruise-of-the-week
    Anything you do on a mountain is dangerous.

Climbing - 10% of all people to attempt Everest die
    Go for a walk - the mist comes down, and you're lost.
    Driving - hairpin bends
    Skiing - I had that bruise!
    Mountain biking - you get the picture

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post

Tuesday press conference take 1 | A Former F1 Doc Writes
    The only trustworthy source just being someone who's watched the press conference and is commenting on it?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Anything you do on a mountain is dangerous.

Climbing - 10% of all people to attempt Everest die
    Go for a walk - the mist comes down, and you're lost.
    Driving - hairpin bends
    Skiing - I had that bruise!
    Mountain biking - you get the picture
    Ironically my two black eyes from my face-to-face meeting with the fence lost out on Bruise-of-the-week to a woman with an orange-sized bruise on her bum. I managed to get a spectacular black, purple and blue bruise on my knee from the most ridiculous of falls a couple of years ago. We had pulled to one side of the piste with our instructor to let some snowboarders pass while she explained our proposed route and I was standing there perfectly fine one minute then for no apparent reason the snow under my right ski fell away to reveal a bit of a hole and I very very gently pitched to one side on my bum. I didn't even think I'd hurt myself until I saw the vivid bruise that must have resulted from my knee coming into contact with the binding of my opposite ski. I won bruise of the week for it. I felt like a fraud when our class nominated me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    The only trustworthy source just being someone who's watched the press conference and is commenting on it?

Ben
    Very much so, because a) he's knowledgeable unlikely the journalists and b) unlike the journos he can actually translate it into something meaningful. Of course that does mean the press conferences are the only reliable information, which is indeed true.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Joint childhood hero.

As the coma news hit, i think the whole world just went into shock. Hope he makes a speedy recovery. Just one last race schumi, bring it home son!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12