+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Quadcopter in General; Hey guys So got a Quadcopter for Christmas of the mrs and I love it been playing with it for ...

Thank Post

Quadcopter

Hey guys

So got a Quadcopter for Christmas of the mrs and I love it been playing with it for ages. Although whenever it takes off it seems to go off to the one side a bit it's not completely central when it goes up. Do I need to calibrate it or anything and when I take it out side it seems to get blown by the wind very easily if I go up high with it and it becomes uncontrollable!! Anyone that could help me with this it would be most appreciated Merry Christmas!

I know @plexer likes this sort of stuff???

Alex

rad
    Thank Post
    You will always be affected by the wind with any flying toy.

I haven't seen a quad copter up close but yes you can change the calibration using the remote controller.

Thank Post
    Very close to the ground it will get affected by ground effect and it's own propwash. I think it would be unusual for anything to go perfectly straight up.

Also small quads tend to have rate change gyros, they don't do absolute position as such, the do change in position so on take off when the bird transitions from no motion into motion, the motors may be slightly out of balance but the computer can't correct that until it develops into movement - by which time the bird is flying off to the side.

Thank Post
    Ah ok thanks guys

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    What one do you have?

The best advice I can give which was passed on by @JAB1a is small stick inputs.

Most quads calibrate gyros on power on but there is normally also a procedure you can run check the manual.

You can also adjust the transmitter trims but I think you just need experience which will only come with time and get used to putting in some counter stick inputs.

Ben

6. Thanks to plexer from:

JAB1a (27th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    The best advice I can give which was passed on by @JAB1a is small stick inputs.
    +1. Except with small quads and helis on takeoff it can be beneficial to pop them up off the ground quickly, to get them out of the ground effect and the turbulence caused by their own wash (not that kind of wash).

Thank Post
    Indeed most people fly close to the ground scared of crashing but things are much more manageable at around waist height+

Ben

Thank Post
    My mother bought me the little Hubsan X4 for Christmas. It's amazingly stable, a little drift in flight and close to the ground. It seems very robust, bouncing off walls and the floor, so far without breaking anything - even the props (which is surprising!), although they do come off in a strike and fly off in all directions which will make them easy to lose outdoors. It's almost a perfect size for indoor flight or outdoors if it's calm. In 'expert' mode, it becomes quite nimble apparently with the ability to flip it, I've yet to manage that. The controller is ok - the X4 doesn't bind to my other Tx's and the configuration (lights on/off, calibration, sensitivity adjust, expert mode etc) is a bit ... awkward but really, for £34 for the quad AND the Tx, it's surprisingly good quality. All in all, I'm impressed. Anyone who is thinking of a bigger quad and who has little or no flying experience should get one, no question. I'm more a fan of flying RC Helicopters but this is still an excellent trainer for nose in flight and is more robust (which translates as cheaper to crash) than the 100/120 sized heli's that generally nibble at my wallet. In short the X4 is excellent.

Thank Post
    Indeed I got an x4 from the mother in law and have been doing some flips the last couple of days was cool last night outside in thr dark.

You really notice the change in rates when in expert mode and it's good to learn on.

Completely broken one prop so far but bought half a dozen spare sets.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread