General Chat Thread, Taking bets on how far home I get before the trains stop... in General; I'm in Derby. Home is Portsmouth. I'm guessing London... any advances?...
23rd December 2013, 02:57 PM #1
Taking bets on how far home I get before the trains stop...
I'm in Derby. Home is Portsmouth. I'm guessing London... any advances?
23rd December 2013, 03:23 PM #2
Should be fine on the way into London, but with South West trains it could mean you'll find it interesting to leave London!
What time is your train from London?
This is South West's statement:
Very strong winds and heavy rain are expected to affect England on Monday 23 December.There is a very high possibility of severe disruption to South West Trains services throughout the afternoon of Monday 23 December. This may mean that some trains have to run at significantly reduced speeds, and will be altered or cancelled. Customers are advised to only travel this afternoon, if absolutely necessary and to check before travelling. The following alterations are now confirmed:
- Trains between Frimley and Aldershot are being delayed because of a tree on the line near Frimley
- Trains are unable to run between Romsey and Salisbury because of a tree on the line
- Trains between Basingstoke and Winchester / Salisbury may be delayed by up to 60 minutes because of trees on the line
- Trains traveling towards London cannot call at Hook because of a tree on the line, passengers are advised to travel via Basingstoke.
- Trees on the line at Crewkerne and Tisbury are causing delays between Salisbury and Exeter St Davids
- Services between London Waterloo and Weymouth will only run between London Waterloo and Bournemouth. An hourly shuttle will run between Bournemouth and Weymouth calling at all stations
- Services to and from Exeter St Davids / Yeovil Junction will start from / terminate at Salisbury
- Some South West Trains services on various routes between London Waterloo and Reading, London Waterloo and Guildford and London Waterloo and Shepperton via Richmond after 17:00 are cancelled. Passengers are advised to travel on the next available service
23rd December 2013, 03:39 PM #3
Depends when I finally get to London, probably between 5.30 and 6pm...
It is absolutely necessary... well yes I would like to get home tonight!
23rd December 2013, 03:44 PM #4
National Rail are showing trains every 15 minutes still, but that is likely to dramatically reduce! My local operator (Greater Anglia) is reducing train speeds at 5pm, therefore reducing services until the end of today, and not opening tomorrow until at least 10am, so I am guessing other operators will do something similar.
23rd December 2013, 03:48 PM #5
I'm already looking at London hotels...
Last edited by GREED; 23rd December 2013 at 03:49 PM.
23rd December 2013, 03:49 PM #6
Sympathies. We are curently on the M25 trying to get home to Kent from the outlaws who live near Newport Pagnell. The QE2 bridge is closed and the M25 is very slow going the other way... The satnav claims a 34 minute delay... Hmmmm!
Last edited by elsiegee40; 23rd December 2013 at 03:56 PM.
23rd December 2013, 04:54 PM #7
Posting from the middle of the Dartford Tunnel (southbound) just because I can! :Amazed there's a 3 mobile signal under the Thames
Last edited by elsiegee40; 23rd December 2013 at 04:56 PM.
23rd December 2013, 05:52 PM #8
Well we made it. Local road and weather conditions in West Kent much worse than those all the way down... and they weren't good. We are relieved to be home in one piece.
Good luck to all the other travellers tonight.
Last edited by elsiegee40; 23rd December 2013 at 06:51 PM.
23rd December 2013, 06:05 PM #9
How ironic that you get better signal under the sea (full little mermaid song needed!) Than we all do above ground!!!
Originally Posted by elsiegee40
Just pulling into St Pancras now so now the real fun begins!!
23rd December 2013, 06:49 PM #10
I got stuck in the Dartford Tunnel in 1985 and was able to make a call on my Cellnet phone. I think they had leaky feeder aerials or some similar technology.
23rd December 2013, 07:02 PM #11
Glad you are home safely, @elsiegee40
Hope you make it @GREED
2 Thanks to witch:
elsiegee40 (23rd December 2013), GREED (23rd December 2013)
23rd December 2013, 07:03 PM #12
Nothing is leaving for Portsmouth. So hopped on a train for Southampton and fingers crossed trains are running from there! It is closer to home!
23rd December 2013, 07:05 PM #13
Originally Posted by GREED
Thanks to elsiegee40 from:
GREED (23rd December 2013)
23rd December 2013, 07:28 PM #14
Did this picture upload? If not I will send when I get home. Is Waterloo station at a virtual standstill
23rd December 2013, 07:37 PM #15
By Devontechie in forum IT News
Last Post: 2nd December 2011, 12:34 PM
By jonny_2010 in forum Educational IT Jobs
Last Post: 13th July 2011, 05:54 PM
By DaveP in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
Last Post: 19th April 2011, 12:54 PM
By mrbios in forum Windows 7
Last Post: 12th February 2010, 11:46 AM
By mossj in forum EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package
Last Post: 19th March 2009, 03:07 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)