+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Web based Proxy Filtering Service in General; Hello All I am wondering if anyone knows of a service which will do the below. I have a nephew ...

Thank Post

Web based Proxy Filtering Service

Hello All

I am wondering if anyone knows of a service which will do the below.

I have a nephew who has been visiting naught sites etc that his Mum doesn't want him to.. So I am looking for a service that will allow me to add a proxy server to I.E settings, that would filter his traffic and log it.. Also would allow his mum or me to add extra sites and remove sites.

I know LightSpeed offer such a service, but you have to have a min amount of users etc where as I only want about 2 / 3 max.

Now I know there are other ways of doing this, host my own smooth wall box with an external IP etc etc but I am looking for a already done solution, that is just as simple as adding a IP / URL to the proxy tab and away we go...

Thanks for any feedback given.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,941 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Use OpenDNS on the house router - it isn't a 'proxy' as such, but will do the job via DNS instead?

Doing it this way means any device on the internet connection is covered, and there's nothing to install on the PC itself.

Who is the ISP?
    Last edited by localzuk; 19th December 2013 at 11:06 AM.

Thank Post
    Not as simple as you request but I use K9 (K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filter and Parental Control Software | Free Internet Filtering and Parental Controls Software) on my boys machine. It is free for home use simple install and works well.

Thank Post
    +1 for K9, I use it at home and never had a problem.
    Last edited by notalot; 19th December 2013 at 11:21 AM.

Thank Post
    I was asked a similar question this week by one of the TAs. 14 year old son, already been caught on sites his mum doesn't approve of. He's getting a new laptop for christmas too. I explained that anything they install on the machine will be defeated by a determined 14yo and you really want a filter where the connection enters the house. Turns out they're on sky which offers some McAfee cr4pware to install on up to 3 PCs. So, only good for households with no tablets, phones, apple things. If it were me, I'd just use openDNS, but the level of tech knowledge to change the dns servers on your sky router (even if the router has that facility) is beyond your average parent.

I'm not set up for out of hours consultancy and I'm not doing it for free so we're a bit stuck. Don't think 'change to an isp with better filtering arrangement' would fly either.

Thank Post
    K9 requires a password to uninstall and if it is uninstalled you are sent an email letting you know.

Thank Post
    First thing I would say is education - not technology - will have the largest impact here. The old rule of keeping the family computer in the living room is harder to apply these days, but rules of use and clear sanctions will help. This child needs to know why these sites aren't appropriate at his age.

I use K9 on my daughters laptop, more for logging than blocking. It works ok, but didn't get great results in a comparison I read recently.
    OpenDNS is a good option for home, but quite a few ISPs routers are hard coded to use their own DNS. Although you could change the DNS on the individual machines, it wouldn't take long for a determined youngster to get round this.
    Check your router - it may have in built content filtering. I think the draytek stuff has a subscription service available.
    If you contact the ISP, they might have some options.

But you can't simply fire and forget - any filtering must be monitored.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread