+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, New build - IT suites/office/server room ideas and layouts in General; There is a change of a nice shiny new build being attached to the current school. I am going to ...

Thank Post

New build - IT suites/office/server room ideas and layouts

There is a change of a nice shiny new build being attached to the current school. I am going to be pushing to have IT moved from it's squished 2 rooms where we cannot fit enough pc's to teach the years and the it office/server room from it's 1 meter wide space into this new building.

The good part is everyone knows that IT needs to expand so i have a good chance of getting what i want so i want to make sure i get it right first time.

So apart from 2 suites of 20/25, a server/switch room which is on it's own, and a lovely office/workspace is there any detials i should be asking to go into the design stage?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: New build - IT suites/office/server room ideas and layouts

A workbench area with wall-mounted TFTs and plenty of accessible data/power sockets.

Rack-mount servers in a room big enough for expansion and plenty of air conditioning.

Large storage area with shelving for all the IT consumables and stuff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,921 Posts
    Blog Entries

20/25 pc's? Thats a bit low isn't it? Our IT classes are usually 33 pupils at a time! So all our suites have 35 in them.

I'll second webman's comments. Also, an ESD area for dismantling computers in.

Also, try and get some environment monitoring stuff in the server room so you can be informed if the A/C breaks down or it gets flooded or something.

Thank Post

Being a small private school our class's are under 20 so 25 gives a little for expansion in furture years. Might look at one slightly larger all depends on the size of the build i guess. Our current suites are 20 and 17 and no room for any more.

Hadn't thought about a workbench area with mounted tft's was just think desk with monitor but thats a much better idea thanks.

richard

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Large storage area with shelving for all the IT consumables and stuff.
    Make this a seperate lockable room. To be honest I would have the best security that you can get on all rooms.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

A KVM over IP device (such as this) will help administer the servers remotely.

You could go for anti-static flooring, too.

And agreed on the security - make sure teachers do not have access! :P

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Silly things like decent blinds on the windows if the screens are facing them makes a huge difference.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    20/25 pc's? Thats a bit low isn't it? Our IT classes are usually 33 pupils at a time! So all our suites have 35 in them.

I'll second webman's comments. Also, an ESD area for dismantling computers in.

Also, try and get some environment monitoring stuff in the server room so you can be informed if the A/C breaks down or it gets flooded or something.
    +1 for the environmental monitoring. Also get a beefy ups - hardwired.

You may be able to get 42U racks depending on the height of your room and go with a good name. Rittal, APC, HP, Sun or Dell for your rack. I would say APC's netshelter gives you best value for money at 42U. At 36U (which should be your minimum rack specification) the HP 10636 G2 is the only option. I personally would go for a 800mm wide rack if you've got the width on the room becuase you get more cable management options.

Comfort cooling should be good enough - make sure the room has a suspended ceiling and have them fit one or two big ceiling mounted units.
    Wall mounted aren't bad but ceiling mounted are better - more flexibility.
    That's if your input stretches that far. The options for speccing the rack and cable routing and management are infinite. But make sure you get atleast 1 LCD/keyboard pull out drawer, and get a Panduit fiber runner system installed for fibre and between racks and between rooms.

I'm assuming you've got a fair bit of cash to spend - as once you get going it could get pretty pricey I'd have a separate room for most storage and workshop area. But if the rooms big enough they can all coexist happily.

Thank Post

Thanks for the ideas and opinions guys they are a great help.

I will have a fair bit of input into the build and the sum's of money for the project are huge so getting a few extra penny's to get the IT backbone sorted for the furture of the College should be "easy" lol.

Security is one we are currenlty lacking being that the IT suite is attached to me and door always open as head of ict works in here too. But this is something that will have to be sorted out in a move. Some nice keypad entry systems will be nice

The enviroment side is something i really want to push as currently the only way of looking after everything is opening the window although i did fork out for some clever temp gauages around the room with wireless monitor so will want at least this in a new build.

Thank Post

Try and have a seperate office and seperate workshop/maintenance area if you can, means you can try and maintain a tidier office area which can make your work day a bit easier. Also a good sized store room area for consumables and old/new kit is a good idea. This must be secure and helps if it is on the ground floor (easier to put deliveries into rather than lugging it all upstairs)

For the ICT suites, I would try and locate these on the first floor if possible so prying eyes can't see throu the windows and take a fancy to your kit. I'd make sure the rooms are a good size, and have more than adequate air conditioning fitted, and plan the room layouts from an early stage so the data and power cabling can be done properly. I'd also specify that more data and power is put in than needed for future needs.

There's lots more to consider, but there's a few pointers.

Mke.

Thank Post

use visio we are currently doing similar and have utilized this sw

Thank Post

Make sure your office/workshop is separate from the server room and any comms cabs. I would also say thaat you should jsut have clearly designated work areas as your workbench and office desk.... rather than separate rooms.

Your office should open out onto a corridor rather than a room... this way you can have the little darlings come and visit you without disturbing classes. If your kids are p[leasant enough you could even have a 'vision express' style window onto your work area to keep the kids interested - it also helps show to teaching staff that you don't just sit surfing the net.

Finally, of course, you should cable for twice as many points as you think you need... include sockets above the ceiling by doors for APs and access control in the future.

You might also like to look at the desks from Isis Concepts (see http://www.isisconcepts.co.uk/educat...tions/ict.html ) - I jsut had some fitted and they are ace... plus they support EduGeek and will design your rooms for you so that you can get the best use out of them

Thank Post

Thanks for all your ideas guys. Think it will be fine having the workspace in the office just will make sure it's on the other side of the room. I partially agree with the 'vision express' style window although i can see it becoming more like kids at the zoo lol.

Points for power and network are top of my list if you could see what the entire system runs on now you'd be shocked lol. Also top is having my own door from the corridor as currently am off the main IT suite and no matter how many times they are told they still walk in on lessons.

Thank Post

finger print readers on the server room door and the IT office!!! well thats what i would want anyway, CCTV in each class room as there could be vandalism.

Thank Post

I tried to get CCTV into some rooms that have been severly vandalised before but our head just wont have it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast