+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Car audio. Help! Petrol head EDUGEEKERS! in General; One option is to look for any upgraded OEM units from the same range, you sometimes get multi-tiers of ICE ...
    Thank Post
    One option is to look for any upgraded OEM units from the same range, you sometimes get multi-tiers of ICE in a range from the bog basic to BOSE etc. If it's an OEM unit it should be a straightforward swap.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some pretty sound advice from everyone so far.
    I'd just add that if you do get a decent head unit (which can be had for very little these days) then don't spoil it by getting a sub fitted. if you want good audio quality then the sound padding on doors and a good set of speakers will make your journeys far more enjoyable than muffling everything with bass.
    I got some Focal speakers some time ago and they really do bring music to life. As with most higher end kit, they are not cheap, but you do get what you pay for.

Thank Post
    By all means, but bass shouldn't muffle or spoil; it can be as crisp and sharp as you wish, and the level is up to you. For hip-hop, DnB, Dubstep etc you might enjoy big dirty wobbly bass, but for SQ you can get something tight and understated. It's just like home audio. Most of the SQ boys will tell you that it's 90% installation, 10% equipment - poorly fitted top quality audio will sound worse than well fitted cheaper stuff.

4. 2 Thanks to 3s-gtech:

Dos_Box (17th December 2013), newpersn (17th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Base should be felt not heard

Our flying line array in our buildings atrium has a pair of 15" subs.. They sound OK,

But when you fill in with the two large floor enclosures it realy makes a huge difference...

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Base should be felt not heard

Our flying line array in our buildings atrium has a pair of 15" subs.. They sound OK,

But when you fill in with the two large floor enclosures it realy makes a huge difference...

Rob
    Im trying to get our drama department to upgrade there system. May be abit of work needed. Anything better than the passive value speakers.. (amp is powerfull )

Thank Post
    The standard Astra setup is not bad at all..I have the 8 speaker setup, and dare only dial the HU up to 17/18 max, as it becomes too loud for comfort, and the thing will go MUCH higher than that. AC/DC, Def Leppard etc can fair thump the doors even on low.

Thank Post
    As a Pug 307 owner I've found a great setup is the Sony BT range of stereos.

I'm using a Sony BT3700 at the moment, bought second hand from Ebay for just £40. You get Bluetooth music streaming, full hands free phone support (great quality too), as well as MP3 CD, USB and line in.

The factory fit speakers are pretty good, but I've changed mine for JBL ones in the past.

Pick up a CONNECTS2 cable from Ebay for £19 and that will allow you to use the steering column stalk. You'll lose radio info from the centre screen, but everything else (date, time, temperature, trip computer info) will remain.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-20...item519c6f02d5

Quote Originally Posted by Koldov View Post
    The factory head unit swap out to fit an aftermarket head is a bit of a pig from what I can gather. It will probably only add to the cost, due to needing an auto electrician to fit it as it also has a steering wheel control and a dashboard display, which need extra adaptors.
    Completely untrue.

All you need are the right keys to take out the factory fit stereo. If you have the CD changer underneath or the storage cubby hole take those out first to give you more room to work.

If you have the 5 CD changer and it works perfectly then it could be worth upto £80 to those Pug owners who like to keep their cars original. If you need a tray then you can get them from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-30...item53ffe1602d

Then just unclip the ISO connector and aerial lead.

You can swap a stereo over in under 20 minutes and you definitely don't need an auto electrician.

Pick up a Sony radio from Ebay (search for the BT2800 upwards) and you'll have the job done for under £50.

We've covered this topic on peugeotforums.com quite a bit, its worth having a look there.
    Last edited by Gibbo; 17th December 2013 at 12:17 PM.

9. Thanks to Gibbo from:

Koldov (17th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Go with Alpine or Pioneer if you replace the HU, both known for good quality sound

Thank Post
    I have upgraded car speakers on all my cars although there is one major thing I have seen is that there is no point upgrading your stock speakers if you don't upgrade your headunit. The stock headunit normally can't match the new uprated speakers you have and vise versa. So either do both or non at all. This isn't always the case though it's a good idea to research the wattage output of your headunit and match that up with some good speakers. I have a 2011 Honda Civic Type S and the stereo in that is just a nightmare to change you need to spend a fortune to get it to work as other controls go through the stereo so you need adapters etc... things like the air con control. All I did was bridge my two back speakers to a small 10" sub and amplifier in the back and it really makes a huge difference. Make the speakers in the doors more treble and turn up your amp fully for bass boost etc... then you have decent bass through sub and can turn it up as loud as you want without door speakers distorting cost me around £40 and completely reformed my stereo system. I have spent a fortune on upgrading a Clio's head unit speakers, subwoofer installed 6x9's and to be honest I can't tell the difference anymore with the setup I have now that cost me £40 apposed to £380

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Make the speakers in the doors more treble and turn up your amp fully for bass boost etc
    Cliptacular! Gain on full + bass boost (often equals) sending a square wave to your speakers = magic smoke

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    . I have spent a fortune on upgrading a Clio's head unit speakers, subwoofer installed 6x9's and to be honest I can't tell the difference anymore with the setup I have now that cost me £40 apposed to £380
    Do you want to come do my clio?

Thank Post
    Ha ha @Gibbo I'm giving you that look now... You know the look that someone gives you when they walk in and you have computer guts all over the desk. They look at you in wonder and disbelief when you say it's easy to put it all back together...

I knew I'd seen that sig before, but couldn't remember where. Pity I'm South-East based lol!

Do they do a tray that makes it some sort of cubby hole instead?

Kol.

Thank Post
    Here's your tray koldov, might not be the cheapest it was just a quick search.

Peugeot 307 Double Din to Single DIN Car Stereo Pocket Tray Fascia Adaptor | eBay

Thank Post
    What other people have said. Bear in mind you can also get a 'high level input' to RCA converter, which will also provide you with a remote switch on for the amp if you get the right one. They aren't beautiful as they're basically a ratio step down convertor, so the higher the volume the greater the input level to the amp. But they're sound for what you're after. That would allow you to take a speaker level output and send to the amp. Bear in mind also some amps have this built in.

I'd do the head unit first though, then the door speakers. Only when you've done that stick in a sub if it's not enough bass.

Thank Post
    Don't know whats been said already but;

Head unit first. Then speakers. Then if you feel the need, an amp. Subs, no, unless your GF is 17 and likes flying round car parks with McDonalds trays under her rear wheels... To get a good sound out of subs you are talking a few hundred quid easy, and that's before you look at upgrading the power system to handle them. Plus you lose boot space which could otherwise be used to transport beer from shop to home.

The money it would take to do subs right you could plough into a cracking set of speakers and amp.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 17th December 2013 at 09:59 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast