+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Anyone else a grumpy git this Christmas? in General; Not normally grumpy, I love the run up to Christmas, lights, good telly, family time and this year my daughter ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not normally grumpy, I love the run up to Christmas, lights, good telly, family time and this year my daughter is of age to get excited!

Usually feel it is over by about 2pm Xmas day though!

However there is lots going on in the professional world that is weighing heavily on my mind so not is the right mood this year I think...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @timbo343 You are So right! So is Easter, Birthdays and all these bleeping International days for just about anything from sneezing through to more serious issues and don't get me started on Sports Relief and Children in Need!! Whilst I'm at it to the Government could do something useful by reviewing Charities, weeding out those that are duplicates - with expensive Admin and the other so called Charities that surely miss at least the spirit of the original concept; Boarding Schools for example!

r
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Just like halloween

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The government can keep its grubby mitts off of charities. Overlap exists for a reason in most charities. Lots of smaller charities are often more efficient than one giant merged charity.

Thank Post
    ho, ho, fscking ho....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm grumpy every christmas - why should this one be any different?

Thank Post
    My missus thinks I am the Grinch combined with Scrooge.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    @timbo343 You are So right! So is Easter, Birthdays and all these bleeping International days for just about anything from sneezing through to more serious issues and don't get me started on Sports Relief and Children in Need!! Whilst I'm at it to the Government could do something useful by reviewing Charities, weeding out those that are duplicates - with expensive Admin and the other so called Charities that surely miss at least the spirit of the original concept; Boarding Schools for example!

r
    I guess it depends on your definition of charity and the effectiveness of the charities' work.
    Charity Schools are an important part of the history of education in this country, providing education to the disadvantaged. If you are talking about the original concept of charity then "the advancement of education" (one of the legal descriptions of a charitable purpose) fits right in with this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Christmas IS a load of tosh. Once was a religious celebration - although I've always had great doubts about the 'immaculate conception' Nowadays it's just yet another occasion for commercial organisations to rake as much cash off folk who in many cases don't have the cash to be fleeced of in the first place. I notice that despite this wonderful Government's statements of clamp downs the pay day lenders with their huge interest rates are advertising even more heavily.
    It was of course a pagan celebration first! It has always been an excuse for organisations to try and get people to buy things - but y'know, they don't have to. Yes, it is hard to stand against the tide but people must take responsibility for their own lives. No one is MAKING people take out loans just to buy the latest tech for their children.
    Christmas does get families together - yes, we could do it at other times of year but life flies by so quickly and we are always meaning to organise visits but....etc etc. And it makes us think about those less fortunate than ourselves. So it isn't all bad

9. Thanks to witch from:

sparkeh (16th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    but y'know, they don't have to. Yes, it is hard to stand against the tide but people must take responsibility for their own lives. No one is MAKING people take out loans just to buy the latest tech for their children.
    Christmas does get families together - yes, we could do it at other times of year but life flies by so quickly and we are always meaning to organise visits but....etc etc. And it makes us think about those less fortunate than ourselves. So it isn't all bad
    ^Agreed.

We don't spend a fortune in our family and never had. For us Christmas is about getting together and having fun. There are presents but there is a small budget and the fun is getting good presents for the small sum.

Thank Post
    My family have a saying - "It's for the kids". The adults don't do presents to each other, we prefer to just enjoy the company and atmosphere, and watching the kids.

I've bought the missus some things regardless..but it's her b'day on the 7th Jan, so it's part of that too. She's at a total loss as to what to get me - I suggested "laid", she chuckled. Who was kidding?! A cheapie digital photoframe for the work desk would be nice, or a work mug..I'm that undemanding..heh.

Mostly I'll be enjoying the atmosphere, the food, the drink, and the company.

Thank Post
    Grumpiness is for life not just for Christmas. Really annoys me with all these 'Festive Grumps' ruining things and jumping on the bandwagon. Same as all those wannabees who will be in the gym next month.

Piffle!

13. Thanks to Hefferzzzz from:

speckytecky (16th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Can't decide if I'm looking forward to Christmas or not. Middle son was due home on the 13th but got diverted to the Phillipines so won't be home til next year. Feels kinda strange without the nosiest (and most childish lol) one in the family being there :$

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    A cheapie digital photoframe for the work desk would be nice,.
    Shame you dont live nearer as i would pop over with the digital photoframes I bought for my son and mrwITch which they have NEVER USED...
    Last edited by witch; 17th December 2013 at 08:57 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    Can't decide if I'm looking forward to Christmas or not. Middle son was due home on the 13th but got diverted to the Phillipines so won't be home til next year. Feels kinda strange without the nosiest (and most childish lol) one in the family being there :$
    Sorry to hear that - strangely, my middle one is just the same!

17. Thanks to witch from:

Smee (17th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Glad I'm not alone then.

I think as you get older it gets worse as it tends to just be a repeat of last year.
    The only thing that has changed in 15 years is we go over to one family member as he can't make it to ours any more.

When I win the lottery on Wednesday I'm going to book a holiday I think.

I am a bit happier though as I found I get my office back to myself so can play music, clean the room properly, be anti social when I want to be.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast