+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Energy Saving in General; I have been tasked with reducing our power usage in school and have calculated that turning off 9 of our ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

Energy Saving

I have been tasked with reducing our power usage in school and have calculated that turning off 9 of our 11 switches for 8 hours a night, 36 hours a weekend and for 4 weeks during the holidays would save us 2.2% off our bill.

Does anyone else do this? I'm also looking at ensuring projectors are switched off at the wall overnight, weekends and holidays as this would save a further 0.6%.

What else do people here do?

Thank Post

Re: Energy Saving

Energystar GPO is handy but getting teachers to turn off computers at the wall and preferably with a master trunking switch is usually best.

We don't currently turn off the network but the teachers have been told to turn off projectors etc at the wall each night.

Problem is we have teachers who leave their computers on over the summer holiday, fact is they just don't give a damn.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

No we don't do anything like that.

During term-time only, computers boot up at 7am and shutdown at 7pm.

Thank Post

I've asked that all curriculum computers be switched right off at the wall after each lesson. This is beyond the capability of teachers. It only happens when the kids are on the ball. I'm amazed that your switches consume so much power. Just goes to show.

Thank Post

Will the 2.2% saving be given back to your budget?

All computers, everything, here stays on 24/7, term time.

We use the EZ GPO addon so things go into standby mode if not used, but turning things on/off every day is not worth the problems we have had in the past with PCs deciding not to boot up one day for no reason.

Any possible saving in power will be outweighed by repair/replacement costs of equipment dying. So In my view, its not worth it, economically speaking.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts

The head here doesn't seem to be concerned about the power bill - even though we are running a deficit budget
    - lights don't even get turned off when the teacher leaves the room. The site manager has suggested all sorts of things to save energy but he doesn't see that anything will be done.
    I shall mention the savings we could manage on the network

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by klawd
    Will the 2.2% saving be given back to your budget?
    I don't know - I'm not complaining about budget really... As I don't have anything to buy now really, and have spent about £250k since I started last July (in improvements).

All computers, everything, here stays on 24/7, term time.

We use the EZ GPO addon so things go into standby mode if not used, but turning things on/off every day is not worth the problems we have had in the past with PCs deciding not to boot up one day for no reason.

Any possible saving in power will be outweighed by repair/replacement costs of equipment dying. So In my view, its not worth it, economically speaking.
    Wow I have to say, that is a poor attitude to take considering the climate change problem we are all going to be facing soon enough - which is pretty universally accepted as the truth now. Put it this way, my total saving plans come to 5.82% (and growing) for the school which works out at 1.15MWh - which is ~5000kg of carbon dioxide being released needlessly if we don't reduce that cost. That is a huge amount of energy, costing a large chunk of money. (About £1300 a year IIRC). Surely £1300 of equipment won't break outside warranty because of switching on and off?

Everyone, should be looking at reducing power costs!

Thank Post

A simple turn off the things you aren't using would save a huge amount. Unfortunately, telling someone to do it and them actually doing it are 2 very different things.

I'm fairly sure that telling teachers to go round the room turning off computers and the like would fall into one of the 24 tasks they aren't allowed to do

We just have computers shut down in the evening and turn on in the morning. I'm still amazed at the amount of people still logged on when the shutdown command is launched. Of course they aren't using the computers, they couldn't be bothered to go and log off.

Thank Post

Our switches stay on 24/7/365 but probably don't account for very much power, as does the server which is obviously a bit more power-hungry. The PCs are turned off overnight but do remain on at the wall (so I can turn them on automatically each morning); projectors are turned off whenever they're not in use.

Can I just throw this one a bit wider and suggest that there are savings to be made during the day as well, not just at night. I recently set our monitors and hard disks to turn off after 3 minutes of inactivity, the previous config had screens only after 10 - this small change saves £3-4 per computer per year. Also look at the energy consumption and power-save options on your printers. I was amazed when I ran a power meter on our big colour laser printers - they idle at 100+W (more than a PC and 19" TFT combined) and peak at nearly 1KW when printing!

Talk to you Estates Manager about lights too - as well as energy saving lightbulbs, how about swapping all your 6-foot strip lights for 5-foot ones for a 20% reduction in your lighting costs.

In tandem with all this, consider your electricity supplier - how about a "green" tariff (but choose carefully as some of these are greenwash marketing cons)?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    Our switches stay on 24/7/365 but probably don't account for very much power
    You'd be surprised how much they use...

The PCs are turned off overnight but do remain on at the wall (so I can turn them on automatically each morning);
    The average PC will use 3W when completely off but still plugged in - this works out at about 50 kWh a week for 130 PC's - or £5 (not including weekends).

Can I just throw this one a bit wider and suggest that there are savings to be made during the day as well, not just at night. I recently set our monitors and hard disks to turn off after 3 minutes of inactivity, the previous config had screens only after 10 - this small change saves £3-4 per computer per year.
    I'm going to look at getting the machines to shut-down completely after 5 or 10 minutes.

Also look at the energy consumption and power-save options on your printers. I was amazed when I ran a power meter on our big colour laser printers - they idle at 100+W (more than a PC and 19" TFT combined) and peak at nearly 1KW when printing!
    Indeed. Some of our lasers idle at 100W, and our main photocopier uses 1.6kW when in full use...

Talk to you Estates Manager about lights too - as well as energy saving lightbulbs, how about swapping all your 6-foot strip lights for 5-foot ones for a 20% reduction in your lighting costs.
    He's looking into this already, along with reducing the number of radiators in rooms (most rooms have 5 of them!!), having movement sensitive lights in rooms (with an override as well) etc...

My goal is 10% reduction across the school, so roughly £3k or so.

Thank Post

We turn off all PC's except office ones at 7 each night but we don't turn them on in the morning that way they aren't turned on untill needed, some rooms aren't used first period so that's 30 x number of rooms power saved for an hour straight away.

I've been playing with the Energystar GPO software but haven't got it to work reliably yet has anyone else had any problems setting it up?

@ localzuk

Just food for thought although i agree we should air on the side of caution the jury really is still out on the man made aspect of climate change.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0615071248.htm

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster
    @ localzuk

Just food for thought although i agree we should air on the side of caution the jury really is still out on the man made aspect of climate change.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0615071248.htm
    Sorry, but one study does not counter the increasing number of studies that say the opposite. But as you say, we should err on the safe side. Reducing our energy usage has the added advantage of reducing fuel consumption and therefore stretching out the supplies we have...

Thank Post

Virtualise the entire Server Infrastructure - a bit drastic but would make a significant impact on the Carbon footprint!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djm968
    Virtualise the entire Server Infrastructure - a bit drastic but would make a significant impact on the Carbon footprint!
    Wouldn't make much difference here. We have 9 servers - 2 of which are low energy things, and are nearly at full capacity. The others all hover around 70% usage. The extra capacity is slowly being used up with more and more server side apps, more users etc...

So, we need the number of servers we have.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    Wouldn't make much difference here. We have 9 servers - 2 of which are low energy things, and are nearly at full capacity. The others all hover around 70% usage.
    Lets see 7 servers x 30% idle I make that 2 additional Virtual Servers? or was that "pimms o'clock"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast