+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Energy Saving in General; And as I said, that capacity is likely to be filled over the next few months. Also, one of the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Energy Saving

And as I said, that capacity is likely to be filled over the next few months. Also, one of the servers is an ISA box, so installing other stuff on it is a bad idea, and it is best served as a dedicated unit. Two are NAS boxes. Which leaves 4 which could reasonably be virtualised, all at 30% each. That means we have roughly 1 machine running spare.

Also, when planning servers, you should not overload a server, so I would leave some capacity spare anyway.

So, as I said - virtualising things would not help at all - we already looked into it.

Thank Post

Ive finally got 'permission' to implement a 10pm shutdown on everything - its amazing how much SMT drag their feet over something that will save money

Ive been reducing the number of switches in cabinets - some had 2 switches but less than 48 active ports - so trimming them down

Need to look into power saving on laser printers

Teachers who leave projectors on are finally getting talked to, and all the new literature for teachers stresses how important it is to turn them off

Im looking into turning off non essential servers in holidays/overnight but I can only really think of 2 or 3 that could go off. Everything else is better to keep running

Thank Post

All pc's shut down at 6pm and 11pm every day unless it's the new one's which go into standby which on these acutally use's less power than off clever aren't they. Projectors are turned off over night but reading the manuals most shouldn't be turned off during the day as the recommend that there is at least 40 minutes between off/on.

Apart from that everything is on 24/7/365, so switches, servers etc. We are a boarding school which also gives remote access to students so shutting everything down is not an option.

And to be honest if i had the time to go around and turn off all the switches i'd be worried as to what i should be getting on with.

Have to agree with some of the comments about the amount of money/issue's it causes shutting things off over night. With our older gear/colder areas of the buildings during the winter they are left on over night. Yes it might cost a tiny fraction more over the year but it's a lot cheaper than replacing PSU every week. When i was ordered to turn them off we went through 10 PSU in 2 months add to that time replacing them it's not cost effective to shut those down.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder

Teachers who leave projectors on are finally getting talked to, and all the new literature for teachers stresses how important it is to turn them off

What new literature? - the stuff I have got states that it is better for the projector if it is left on and switching off shortens the life of the bulb

I'd be grateful for any info I could use!!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    All computers, everything, here stays on 24/7, term time.

Wow I have to say, that is a poor attitude to take considering the climate change problem we are all going to be facing soon enough - which is pretty universally accepted as the truth now. Put it this way, my total saving plans come to 5.82% (and growing) for the school which works out at 1.15MWh - which is ~5000kg of carbon dioxide being released needlessly if we don't reduce that cost. That is a huge amount of energy, costing a large chunk of money. (About £1300 a year IIRC). Surely £1300 of equipment won't break outside warranty because of switching on and off?

Everyone, should be looking at reducing power costs!
    I like breathing air as much as the next person, but I dont kid myself that recycling a few cans and switching to low energy lightbulbs is going to somehow reverse climate change. We should be looking for ways to live with what science tells us is an inevitability rather than mess around trying to change something we have little control over.

I look at it this way, if the PSU (for example) breaks and the PSU is under warranty, then I either need the HP guy to drive from 100 miles away to fit a new one (nice carbon output there) or they need to send me a replacement PSU, which would have had a carbon cost to be manufactured (+carbon), then the courier needs to deliver the replacement (+carbon), and collect the faulty (+carbon).

Swings and roundabouts...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder

What new literature? - the stuff I have got states that it is better for the projector if it is left on and switching off shortens the life of the bulb

I'd be grateful for any info I could use!!
    Sorry I meant literature that we give them - they get a short booklet on how to do certain things on the network and we've put a large part about IWB's and projectors in there.

Ive also added sections about it to documents we have up on pin boards in the staff computer room

And finally I am considering printing out a notice to put by each IWB reminding them to turn the thing off...but I can see some of them moaning about that

Thank Post

The average PC will use 3W when completely off but still plugged in - this works out at about 50 kWh a week for 130 PC's - or £5 (not including weekends).
    I'll happily spend £5 to save me having to go round all the computers every morning turning them all on (which would cost well over £5 in my salary time, of course). The switches really aren't pulling very much juice at all, but I could look at timer switches in the cabinets I suppose (although most of them are hard-wired, so I couldn't). We do drop the power to the IT Suites over the holidays though, so the PCs and monitors aren't drawing their collective 132W.

I'm going to look at getting the machines to shut-down completely after 5 or 10 minutes.
    People would complain about the boot-up times at the start of lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster
    we don't turn them on in the morning that way they aren't turned on untill needed, some rooms aren't used first period so that's 30 x number of rooms power saved for an hour straight away.
    I do agree that it can be very wasteful, as sometimes our IT Suites aren't used until 11am but since we install software updates when the PCs turn on, we can't ask classes to do this, as they can't spare the time to wait for things to install - some of the big ones (Office, SIMS, etc) can mean that the PC takes a long time from power on to logon screen. Therefore we set the PCs to turn on so they're ready for the start of the day (but I do leave it as late as possible to turn them on).

Thank Post
    I am tackling the energy saving objectives in 2 ways, firstly I have installed ovationinternet.com PC Auto Shutdown software via group policies to all staff and student PC's (564 PC's), student and staff PC's shutdown if idle or logged off at end of the school day, they also attempt another shutdown at 6PM and 9.30PM after night school finishes. This software is on target to save me 16,000 in PC energey costs for the whole year which I can see from the real time reporting package. This software only costs 375 for a 500 PC site license. The second approach is to replace PC's with low energy units like VeryPC broadleaf which has an operating power rating of 40W.

My next target is to connect the data projectors to the data network and schedule power shutdowns using the vendors free management software as teachers just refuse to power them off when they leave the classroom.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12