+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Video editing - am I right in General; Originally Posted by SYNACK Originally Posted by gecko Anyway suggesting to use imovie / idvd doesn't mean that the asker ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts

Re: Video editing - am I right

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko
    Anyway suggesting to use imovie / idvd doesn't mean that the asker has to take that piece of advise - if they want to see what it is like they can always go to an apple store and have a play with idvd / imovie and see what its like ( am sure if it was pre arranged with the genius bar at the apple store obviously then they could find out for themselves if an apple comp is for them or not )
    I did not mean to suggest that the apple solution for video editing was bad or that the poster should not consider it, I have actually recommended that piece of software to a primary school because it is easy to use compared to some of the alternatives.

I was just trying to shed some light on why certain people are so against them. Macs have BSODs to they are called kernel panic and are admittedly quite rare, strikingly similar to a well setup and well spec'ed Windows or Linux installation.
    ok to the shedding some light and I haven't had a kernel panic yet on my mac and have had it for over a year now, been running fine. Not to say that they dont have them at all as im sure they do at some point just like windows or linux would at some point.

Like I said its like marmite you either love them or hate them. Wasnt trying to start a flame war was just one persons opinion is all

Thank Post

*Must not say apple are crap...*

Thank Post

We're thinking of buying Mac Minis for our new ICT suite, simply because there doesn't seem to be any other machines on the market that are so small and snazzy that don't cost a lot more.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky
    *Must not say apple are crap...*

*must not say windows , linux and pc's are crap...*

lol

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by torledo
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmad
    We don't buy Apple anymore, did for 5 years - biggest waste of money.
    i should know better than to get into a flame war on a thread that's only been revived after being dead as a dodo for over two weeks....but as a lifelong member of club apple, that comment is like a red rag to a bull...

All i will say is the new imac is the best PC in the world bar none, and they are about to release the best ultra-portable computer not called Eee sometime in Q1 of next year. I guarantee the apple sub-notebook will blow you away.

I read the best description of apple from the editor of Stuff (or it could have been T3 magazine) he said Apple were 'irrespressible'. He's not wrong.
    I agree with the apple thing, dont see why people are so against them, I can understand the upgrade side of it to a degree, I mean if you want to upgrade an apple that badly get a mac pro.

I just wish apple would push out graphics card drivers more frequently so those of us that want to use it for gaming or anything like that can go out and get an nvidia 8800 Ultra or something to that extent - which at the time being we cant due to lack of drivers for the latest graphics cards.

They would make a fortune on the gaming market if they would just get more drivers for os x for the latest graphics cards.

Can't wait to see what happens with the new apple products.

Since we are on the topic of apple, I am just curious if you have a post to a review on the mac book pro's graphics card ( 8600M GT ) versus say a windows gaming machine graphics card or something else so I can see how it does.
    gecko, the macbook pro is brilliant as a video editing laptop, much better than more expensive windows desktop repacement laptops, the 17inch version is particulatly svelte for it's size. Can't help you on the merits of the 8600M GT, but would assume it's a reasonable performer for most tasks and some gaming.

Would agree that there should be more graphics choices for the MacPro. The X1900 that ships with the current intel macpro is an inferior card to the superb radeon X1950 pro. From what I undestand you can get nvidia and other radeon cards working under windows on the macpro just not under osx, mainly becuase of the driver issues you mentioned.

We are a Windows, Solaris, Linux and OSX shop. I use a thinkpad T61, but we also use the full range of apple products. We are by no means exclusively apple, but you don't have to be a diehard to realise what's staring you in the face....for instance as i type i'm staring at a 15inch powerbook G4. This particular model is nearly three years old now, but it looks and works as if it were bought yesterday or something you could buy a year from now. It's a classic design that ages well, can't say the same about our RM bricks, or even the 4 year old Acer travelmate 800 that i used to use. Battery life under OSX is nothing short of superb.

Thank Post

Hey j17sparky, me old sparring partner, if you're still follwing this thread...

Now this is what i'd call being pedantic....

i should know better than to get into a flame war on a thread that's only been revived after being dead as a dodo for over two weeks....but as a lifelong member of club apple, that comment is like a red rag to a bull...
    Bulls are color blind, the whole red thing is a myth, they react to motion.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,692 Times in 2,282 Posts
    Blog Entries

I prefer to think of it as right. You are of course entitled to your own opinion which you seem to display quite adequately.

Thank Post

I prefer to think of it as right. You are of course entitled to your own opinion which you seem to display quite adequately.
    Sorry SYNACK, couldn't resist the opportunity as it's something of a private joke between myself and j17sparky. No offence intended.

Thank Post

All i will say is the new imac is the best PC in the world bar none, and they are about to release the best ultra-portable computer not called Eee sometime in Q1 of next year. I guarantee the apple sub-notebook will blow you away.

I read the best description of apple from the editor of Stuff (or it could have been T3 magazine) he said Apple were 'irrespressible'. He's not wrong.
    I agree with the apple thing, dont see why people are so against them, I can understand the upgrade side of it to a degree, I mean if you want to upgrade an apple that badly get a mac pro.

I just wish apple would push out graphics card drivers more frequently so those of us that want to use it for gaming or anything like that can go out and get an nvidia 8800 Ultra or something to that extent - which at the time being we cant due to lack of drivers for the latest graphics cards.

They would make a fortune on the gaming market if they would just get more drivers for os x for the latest graphics cards.

Can't wait to see what happens with the new apple products.

Since we are on the topic of apple, I am just curious if you have a post to a review on the mac book pro's graphics card ( 8600M GT ) versus say a windows gaming machine graphics card or something else so I can see how it does.
    gecko, the macbook pro is brilliant as a video editing laptop, much better than more expensive windows desktop repacement laptops, the 17inch version is particulatly svelte for it's size. Can't help you on the merits of the 8600M GT, but would assume it's a reasonable performer for most tasks and some gaming.

Would agree that there should be more graphics choices for the MacPro. The X1900 that ships with the current intel macpro is an inferior card to the superb radeon X1950 pro. From what I undestand you can get nvidia and other radeon cards working under windows on the macpro just not under osx, mainly becuase of the driver issues you mentioned.

We are a Windows, Solaris, Linux and OSX shop. I use a thinkpad T61, but we also use the full range of apple products. We are by no means exclusively apple, but you don't have to be a diehard to realise what's staring you in the face....for instance as i type i'm staring at a 15inch powerbook G4. This particular model is nearly three years old now, but it looks and works as if it were bought yesterday or something you could buy a year from now. It's a classic design that ages well, can't say the same about our RM bricks, or even the 4 year old Acer travelmate 800 that i used to use. Battery life under OSX is nothing short of superb.
    I would say thats spot on especially with the battery life and in comparison to at least the windows counterpart laptops you mentioned with regards to life and how long it lasts etc.

You also mentioned about not getting a latest graphics card to work under os x, would it not be possible to use vesa mode or something like that, think you have to make some alterations ( not sure where though ) but you wouldnt get any graphics acceleration for anything on os x if you did that.

Could be wrong was just a thought ....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,692 Times in 2,282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sorry SYNACK, couldn't resist the opportunity as it's something of a private joke between myself and j17sparky. No offence intended.
    Its all good. Anyway now onto my first, on topic post this thread

We have staff using their own laptops with the rather simplistic windows movie maker for smaller stuff. The larger editing is either done on our main video editing computer 3ghz p4 two 250gb drives and 2gb of ram. Or it is done on our higher end laptops 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo, 2gb RAM and the most important factor 100GB 7200rpm hard drive.

The higher data transfer rate provided by the drive makes editing and ripping faster by quite a margin over the standard 5400rpm drives.

Thank Post

To qualify my "apple are a waste of money" comment I made earlier that the mac fans have picked up on let me point a few things out.

I own a mac, I've repaired macs for 15 years and I do think they're good.

I do not however think they're value for money, ever. When we used macs intially we had only one mac reseller up here, we used them and they abused our trust, being in central scotland there really is only one place that you can go to, that you could get warranty repairs done and very few places we were allowed (by the council) to purchase apple hardware for repairs (logic boards etc). We found ALL mac hardware to be more expensive, not only to buy but to repair after warranty and numerous software issues which were never, ever dealt with professionally by apple.

In short the service we got from apple and the resellers was awful, partly down to them being rip-off merchants, partly down to the councils then stupid rules about purchasing and also down to apples utterly disgraceful customer care.

I will never, ever advice a company to purchase from apple in the future unless we can get cast iron written guarantees regarding SLAs both in and out of warranty from resellers and apple themselves and we'd only look at that if we couldn't get cheaper computers from Dell, Compaq etc.

Apples have their place, but right now they're still not feasable in large installations, support both hardware and software is still too far behind Dell etc unless you run Windows on them and hope your hardware never develops any sort of problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Apples have their place
    Indeed they do - in a skip.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123