+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Video editing - am I right in General; i'm sorry but why are they even considering laptops for video editing? We had a 3GHz PentiumD on a boggo ...
    In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Re: Video editing - am I right

i'm sorry but why are they even considering laptops for video editing?
    We had a 3GHz PentiumD on a boggo intel mobo with 1GB of RAM which worked fine (bit slow loading up all the vid segments in movie maker mind) but for the actual editiing it was fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

Laptops are pretty ok for editing but if they say they want to do it properly they should be using a second screen (19" or 21"). The files they are working on may actually be better on an external drive yes, but make sure it has a faster speed than the internal drive and try to use firewire where possible. I have had USB lock up before as you can wonder why staff get frustrated only to find the USB drive plugged into a USB hub, also connected is an A3 scanner and a colour A3 inkjet ... and the fact that they are trying to work on a movie whilst using the scanner / printer to copy some A3 sheets ...

I am not surprised it locks up. Firewire reduces the chance of stupidity like this being a bottle neck.

But yes, the Latitude D series is fine ... D505, D520 ... all very nice and smooth (Avid DVFree and Adobe Premiere)

Thank Post

why the hell are they using laptops we have a workstation with dual Xeons 4GB ram and a £200 graphics cards with 500Gb internal HDD on a striped array and 2 NAS boxes of 1TB each to store old projects on.

I think you could probably get away with high end intel core 2 duos or what ever they are being called this week

Thank Post

We used to do digital video editing (downloading footage from DV cameras via firewire, so 12GB per hour of footage) 3 or more years ago with Adobe Premier. I can't remember exactly what specification of machine we had, but whatever it was I'm sure you can now pick up the equivalent for under £500. I'm sure any new laptop is equally capable.

Whilst we're on the subject of video editing, is anyone using the Samsung VP-MX10 SD-based camcorder at all? I see it's available for around £160, and it looked like it would be nice and simple (point, shoot, bung memory card in PC, no USB/firewire cables all over the place) for children to use. I'm not too bothered about footage quality. Anyone any experience with editing video footage from this device - does a codec need to be installed on the PC for us to be able to use it?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrphil
    why the hell are they using laptops we have a workstation with dual Xeons 4GB ram and a £200 graphics cards with 500Gb internal HDD on a striped array and 2 NAS boxes of 1TB each to store old projects on.

I think you could probably get away with high end intel core 2 duos or what ever they are being called this week
    Simple fact is they don't want or need a desktop, it's low end editing. I agree it's better on a desktop, always will be but the department want it to be portable, hence the laptop.

Apart from that they simply don't have the budget for anything more - hell I had to go begging cap in hand to get them an extra £200 so they could afford a laptop!

Thank Post

buy a macbook pro and use I-Movie/iDVD easy

Thank Post

We don't buy Apple anymore, did for 5 years - biggest waste of money.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 623 Posts

Amen to that.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by thegrassisgreener
    buy a macbook pro and use I-Movie/iDVD easy
    would have to agree now that apple have gone over to intel cpu's etc.

Could always get an imac or something else though, doesnt have to be a mac book pro.

However I do agree with idvd / imovie.

Thank Post

If they dont take your opinion as gospel on spec over the other staff members, i'd personally question my position at the place.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmad
    i should know better than to get into a flame war on a thread that's only been revived after being dead as a dodo for over two weeks....but as a lifelong member of club apple, that comment is like a red rag to a bull...

All i will say is the new imac is the best PC in the world bar none, and they are about to release the best ultra-portable computer not called Eee sometime in Q1 of next year. I guarantee the apple sub-notebook will blow you away.

I read the best description of apple from the editor of Stuff (or it could have been T3 magazine) he said Apple were 'irrepressible'. He's not wrong.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by torledo
    i should know better than to get into a flame war on a thread that's only been revived after being dead as a dodo for over two weeks....but as a lifelong member of club apple, that comment is like a red rag to a bull...

All i will say is the new imac is the best PC in the world bar none, and they are about to release the best ultra-portable computer not called Eee sometime in Q1 of next year. I guarantee the apple sub-notebook will blow you away.

I read the best description of apple from the editor of Stuff (or it could have been T3 magazine) he said Apple were 'irrespressible'. He's not wrong.
    I agree with the apple thing, dont see why people are so against them, I can understand the upgrade side of it to a degree, I mean if you want to upgrade an apple that badly get a mac pro.

I just wish apple would push out graphics card drivers more frequently so those of us that want to use it for gaming or anything like that can go out and get an nvidia 8800 Ultra or something to that extent - which at the time being we cant due to lack of drivers for the latest graphics cards.

They would make a fortune on the gaming market if they would just get more drivers for os x for the latest graphics cards.

Can't wait to see what happens with the new apple products.

Since we are on the topic of apple, I am just curious if you have a post to a review on the mac book pro's graphics card ( 8600M GT ) versus say a windows gaming machine graphics card or something else so I can see how it does.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bulls are color blind, the whole red thing is a myth, they react to motion.

@gecko - people are so against macs because of the brainwashed extremest users that constantly propose that they are the best for everything. They are very good at certain things but they are not the best at everything. Their image thanks to these users and in no small part to their advertising makes the company seem arrogant. For example continuously ragging on other systems for security problems, usability issues and installation issues that they experience as well.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK
    Bulls are color blind, the whole red thing is a myth, they react to motion.

@gecko - people are so against macs because of the brainwashed extremest users that constantly propose that they are the best for everything. They are very good at certain things but they are not the best at everything. Their image thanks to these users and in no small part to their advertising makes the company seem arrogant. For example continuously ragging on other systems for security problems, usability issues and installation issues that they experience as well.
    Fair enough to that - each to there own, im not saying they are the be all and end all but personally I much prefer to use them so I don't have the BSOD issue or problems with dll's and ocx's like windows has.

Anyway suggesting to use imovie / idvd doesn't mean that the asker has to take that piece of advise - if they want to see what it is like they can always go to an apple store and have a play with idvd / imovie and see what its like ( am sure if it was pre arranged with the genius bar at the apple store obviously then they could find out for themselves if an apple comp is for them or not )

Also with macs now being able to boot other O/S's ie windows, linux and the sort, it wouldn't be such a big issue to slap windows on a mac and run the other video editing software and if the sound card was an issue and you had a mac pro then upgrading the sound card wouldnt be an issue. Just somethoughts anywho.

Like marmite I guess, either you love em or you hate em and lets just say im not the latter.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gecko
    Anyway suggesting to use imovie / idvd doesn't mean that the asker has to take that piece of advise - if they want to see what it is like they can always go to an apple store and have a play with idvd / imovie and see what its like ( am sure if it was pre arranged with the genius bar at the apple store obviously then they could find out for themselves if an apple comp is for them or not )
    I did not mean to suggest that the apple solution for video editing was bad or that the poster should not consider it, I have actually recommended that piece of software to a primary school because it is easy to use compared to some of the alternatives.

I was just trying to shed some light on why certain people are so against them. Macs have BSODs to they are called kernel panic and are admittedly quite rare, strikingly similar to a well setup and well spec'ed Windows or Linux installation.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast