+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Beer brewing kit... in General; If you're going to plastic bottle do 500ml ones don't bottle the whole brew into 2 litre plastic bottles when ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,340 Posts
    If you're going to plastic bottle do 500ml ones don't bottle the whole brew into 2 litre plastic bottles when pour one drink you will disturb the sediment and will have to wait for it settle again.

Ben

Thank Post
    The first fermentation will be done in anywhere between a few days and a month if you want to leave it that long (highly dependent on temperature).
    Secondary fermentation or the carbonisation stage comes next. Choices are keg, glass bottles or PET bottles. So no you don't need to buy him this part of the equipment yet but if you go down the bottle route you will need to start collecting bottles now. First time out I would make sure I have the equipment for stage 2 ready to go as soon as stage 1 finishes.

TBH I'd just get him a capper and get some glass bottles collected (500ml) http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-access...d/invt/0191082
    Last edited by j17sparky; 11th December 2013 at 09:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    If you're going to plastic bottle do 500ml ones don't bottle the whole brew into 2 litre plastic bottles when pour one drink you will disturb the sediment and will have to wait for it settle again.

Ben
    It can be done... at the beginning of the night. After 4 pints when you get to the point where you can't talk I agree, sediment everywhere! (no exaggeration, until you get used to it you will be well oiled after 4)

BTW I'm not sure anyone has mentioned you could really do with a cool place to store them while they age?
    Last edited by j17sparky; 11th December 2013 at 09:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    *looks at glass recycling bag* i think we'll be ok...

Please excuse my ignorance, the carbonation is a by-product of the fermentation process?

Our spare room is pretty cool as we use it to dump carp in...wondering if it's actually too cool for the first process....

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    *looks at glass recycling bag* i think we'll be ok...

Please excuse my ignorance, the carbonation is a by-product of the fermentation process?
    Yes the fermentation process produces carbon dioxide and as the vessel is sealed for secondary fermentation and conditioning in the pressure keg or bottles any co2 produced now will get dissolved into the liquid and give it some fizz.

Ben

Thank Post
    If the room is in your house I wouldn't worry too much. Once the yeast get going they create heat. Anywhere from 16'c is fine, in fact a lot of people don't brew above say 18'c as the hotter the yeast the more nasties they produce. The starting temp of the water will be around 21'c, plenty to get it going, bang a duvet round it and you'll be fine.

There may seem like theres a lot to it and a lot to learn, which there is once you get a bit more advanced, but to start out with as long as he can wash things properly (men can do it, we just choose not to) and he can read instructions (yes men can do that too) he should be fine.

Oh and you may hear stories of people with exploding bottles. Firstly they are idiots and put far too much sugar in the 2nd fermentation. And secondly it's beer he's brewing, which isn't really all that fizzy. Ignore the stories. Never had a single bottle go bang and I generally brew fizzy boys beer (lager) and fizzy ciders.

Thank Post
    Loving this conversation .. simply through the fact wifey has been asking what I want for Christmas .. I've been saying since we moved into our house 3 years ago "I'm going to brew beer and wine in the cellar" .. bish bash bosh .. I now know what wifey can get me for Christmas .. lol .. ok, hardly a surprise present I know, but hey, it should be a fun one .. and the number of parties we tend to host it will be great, could just do with getting a keg or two as I have a proper pump / cooler / etc on my bar .. lol ..

Thank Post
    @soveryapt get some Cornelius kegs although they go for a fair whack on ebay these days they are still good.

Ben

10. Thanks to plexer from:

soveryapt (12th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If your cellar is cold you might also want a brew belt to keep the temperature of the ferment warm enough. Not used one myself (I have a very understanding wife and get to brew indoors) but something like this is the cheapest option: Home Brew & Wine Making - Youngs U-Brew Electric Wrap Around Brew Belt Heater: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

You can get better belts with thermostats on them, in case the temperature of your cellar varies a lot through the day.

Thank Post
    @Little-Miss not so much buying a brewing kit, but have you been to Brew Dog in Birmingham? nice bar and the staff know a lot about brewing beers!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    @soveryapt get some Cornelius kegs although they go for a fair whack on ebay these days they are still good.

Ben
    Are these good for proper hand pumps or just CO2 driven, as it looks like just CO2 having a quick ganders ..

Thank Post
    For heating I use a fish-tank heater, fully submersible and thermostatic control
    Thermostatic heater for maintaining the correct temperature when making beer or wine

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    Are these good for proper hand pumps or just CO2 driven, as it looks like just CO2 having a quick ganders ..
    You could draw from them with a beer engine you would just need a tube with a one way to pull air in to replace the volume drawn off I guess.

I'm only going to put enough co2 in to blanket the beer and dispense I'm not going to force carbonate.

Ben

16. Thanks to plexer from:

soveryapt (12th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Good for you brewing your own beer!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast