+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Google Glass, What do you guys really think? in General; Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab if I saw someone wearing a set in public I would request that they remove them ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    if I saw someone wearing a set in public I would request that they remove them (this would be the same if I saw them videoing or photographing me against my will using their smartphone). If I thought they'd be more prevalant, I'd even be campaigning to ban them in public places until they have proper indicators to show other people when pictures or video are being captured by the user.
    Sorry to be so harsh, but I think people often get caught up in the whole "NEAT IT'S JUST LIKE STAR TREK!!!" side of the technology (which I can totally understand) without actually considering the social implications of devices like this.
    You know that there is no law preventing people from photographing or filming in a public place? Anyone who told me to stop photographing in a public area would get short shrift. Also, my iPhone doesnt have kind of indicator on it when/if i decide to record video, what about someone on a video call...

Thank Post
    I haven't seen any practical uses for them yet that I couldn't already do much easier with my smartphone.
    GPS info on a heads-up display so your hands are free.

Integrating with a bike computer to show current speed & gear.

I can think of lots of situations where it's awkward to use a handheld device, but the information it could provide is still useful.

Sorry to be so harsh, but I think people often get caught up in the whole "NEAT IT'S JUST LIKE STAR TREK!!!" side of the technology (which I can totally understand) without actually considering the social implications of devices like this.
    Google Glass, What do you guys really think?-simple_answers.png

3. Thanks to pete from:

Oaktech (11th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    You know that there is no law preventing people from photographing or filming in a public place?
    Yep, I am well aware. There's no law for a lot of things, doesn't make doing them okay though does it?

Anyone who told me to stop photographing in a public area would get short shrift.
    If you were clearly photographing me and not just the environment, I would politely ask you to stop. If you didn't, I'd probably ask less politely. This has happened to me in the past (someone was using their phone to record a fitness class I was attending in a local park and it was making the women in the group really uncomfortable) - he refused to stop recording and said pretty much what you said. I proceeded to stand in front of his camera and block any further photos he tried to take until he got bored and went somewhere else. No law against that, is there?

Also, my iPhone doesnt have kind of indicator on it when/if i decide to record video, what about someone on a video call...
    It's really obvious from the way you're holding the phone that you're taking a photo, though. Also in this country, phones are required by law to make a "click" noise to indicate that a photo has been taken. There's no such protection on google glass.

Thank Post
    Yep, I am well aware. There's no law for a lot of things, doesn't make doing them okay though does it?
    Err ... generally yes, if there is no law against it and you are not on someone's private property, then it is OK.
    If you were clearly photographing me and not just the environment, I would politely ask you to stop. If you didn't, I'd probably ask less politely. This has happened to me in the past (someone was using their phone to record a fitness class I was attending in a local park and it was making the women in the group really uncomfortable) - he refused to stop recording and said pretty much what you said. I proceeded to stand in front of his camera and block any further photos he tried to take until he got bored and went somewhere else. No law against that, is there?
    It might easily constitute harassment or be deemed a breach of the peace.
    It's really obvious from the way you're holding the phone that you're taking a photo, though. Also in this country, phones are required by law to make a "click" noise to indicate that a photo has been taken. There's no such protection on google glass.
    Really!? What legislation is that set out in then?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    It's really obvious from the way you're holding the phone that you're taking a photo, though.
    Not any more.

phones are required by law to make a "click" noise to indicate that a photo has been taken.
    The shutter sound is trivial to disable though.

Thank Post
    I'm not particularly interested in Google Glass as a product - too expensive, too bleeding edge. However, wearable computing and particularly having computer output as a HUD in glasses or perhaps projected directly onto the users retina AND coupled with inputs via voice or gestures - what's not to like?

Thank Post
    What about people with 'pens' in their shirt pockets? As for phones making a click, mine doesn't make a sound when my phone is set to vibrate/silent. Not that I think it's right to secretly record people or anything, just saying that it is easy enough to do if you were so inclined. Got to be honest, though, despite working in IT I do find the willingness of people to forego any idea of privacy for the sake of technology a very scary prospect indeed.

Edit: Perhaps that should read 'because I work in IT'.
    Last edited by StevieM; 11th December 2013 at 11:09 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Err ... generally yes, if there is no law against it and you are not on someone's private property, then it is OK.
    Is that your real opinion? It still makes you an *******, regardless of who says it's okay.

It might easily constitute harassment or be deemed a breach of the peace.
    And taking a series of photos/videos of ladies in workout clothes against their will wouldn't?

Really!? What legislation is that set out in then?
    You got me here - googling shows it's only a law in the US and in Japan, which is why handset manufacturers have made it so you can't turn the noise off. It's not actually a legal requirement over here, but it should be imo.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 11th December 2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Language!

Thank Post
    Is that your real opinion? It still makes you an arsehole, regardless of who says it's okay.
    In a public place, you have to balance peoples rights. People are allowed to do things that others don't like. I for instance might like to hold a rally to highlight what I consider the stupidity and ignorance of religious belief. Some might find that offensive. If it make you an a******e because you don't put someone else's sensitivities before your own rights, then frankly everyone is a******e.
    And taking a series of photos/videos of ladies in workout clothes against their will wouldn't?
    If you hold an exercise club in a public place you have to share that place with others. If you want a guarantee of privacy, go hire a venue where you get to choose the rules you want. It is frankly rude to try an impose YOUR standards on others at the expense of their RIGHTS.
    You got me here - googling shows it's only a law in the US and in Japan, which is why handset manufacturers have made it so you can't turn the noise off. It's not actually a legal requirement over here, but it should be imo.
    And what difference will it make that my camera goes click when you are 400 yards away, your face filling the sensor at the end of a 800mm lens? It would just be another dumb, useless piece of legislation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Does the local park have any CCTV cameras in or around it? Do the ladies require these to be covered/turned off before they start their workouts?

Thank Post
    Is that your real opinion? It still makes you an *******, regardless of who says it's okay.

Doesnt matter what they are doing. If its in a public place anyone can take photos or record video of whatever it is they are doing. No one could lawfully stop them doing it. If you did stand in the way and obstruct/threten them, you would be the one being spoken to by 'the law'.

I am not saying its right, but people seem to have a misbelief that they have total privacy in public areas. I could take a picture of your house from the pavement and you wouldnt lawfully be allowed to stop me. You may well (as would I) want to go and have a friendly chat with someone taking pictures of your house though.

Thank Post
    I could take a picture of your house from the pavement and you wouldnt lawfully be allowed to stop me. You may well (as would I) want to go and have a friendly chat with someone taking pictures of your house though.
    I get people taking pictures of my house on a regular basis. I found it a little odd at first but it's just ... that kind of house. Even if it wasn't, I'm not sure why it would bother me.

Thank Post
    You may well (as would I) want to go and have a friendly chat with someone taking pictures of your house though.
    ...and then making them freely available for everyone to view on the Internet...Like the Google StreetView car, for example (Oh, there's that word again.)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123