+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Powerline Adapters in General; Hi all, I have two homeplug adapters being used in my house, work brilliantly. However I want to add a ...
    Thank Post

Powerline Adapters

Hi all,

I have two homeplug adapters being used in my house, work brilliantly. However I want to add a third in my loft as its a loft conversion and would like to move my lab into that room.

Can I add just any third Adapter or will I have to buy another set of 2 of the same ?

Thanks in Advance!

Thank Post
    You can just add another however you need to ensure that they are either the same make or at least the same speed

3. Thanks to MattGreaves from:

cpjitservices (10th December 2013)

Thank Post
    OK buying a third is cheaper than buying another set of 2, I'm using ZyXel at the moment and am looking at a newer model of the ones I Have but only one instead of two.

Hope it works. Both sets upto 200 Meg.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattGreaves View Post
    You can just add another however you need to ensure that they are either the same make or at least the same speed
    I'm not sure it's as easy as that. If it were you'd be talking to your next door neighbour. When you buy a pair of adapters they come with a matched encryption key. It is possible sync. a third adapter by pressing security button on an existing adapter and then the security button on the new one. I've only ever done this with identical models, so you'd need to check if you plan to try and put in a different one.

Thank Post
    I've bought a pair then a single and all spoke to each other via router downstairs without any button pressing, etc. Although they were all the same make/model.

Got this from an article last year, not sure if still relevant but here it is :
    You can mix and match Powerline adaptors running at different speeds and from different manufacturers – as long as they all support at least HomePlug AV. Naturally, faster adaptors can talk to slower ones only at the lower speed.

Beware of older kits still on sale that are based on an earlier standard called HomePlug 1.0. These run at a maximum speed of 85Mbps – which will probably still be adequate for many home users – but they’re not compatible with faster HomePlug AV products running at 200Mbps or more. They'll co-exist on the same mains wiring, but cannot talk to each other. Most home users should probably stick with newer HomePlug AV products in order to keep things simple

Read more: HomePlug powerline networking adaptors buying advice - PC Advisor

Thank Post
    These were old ones, so that's probably why. There must be some security to prevent interference from neighbours.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,252 Times in 1,658 Posts
    I bought a pair of Devolo and then added a separate wifi one and then added a separate ordinary one. They are all the same model/ speed and work beautifully

Thank Post
    ok thanks all, I will buy another set to be on the safe side I think.

Anyone seen the Powerline Switches ? As in a switch that you plug into power socket and plug your devices in and hay presto. (not the ones built into homeplugs)

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 10th December 2013 at 12:59 PM.

10. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

mac_shinobi (10th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 823 Posts
    Be careful what you're buying - Powerline and Homeplug are not the same, all the devices you want to connect need to be using the same standard

Thank Post
    Know what you mean, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Be careful what you're buying - Powerline and Homeplug are not the same, all the devices you want to connect need to be using the same standard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I'm not sure it's as easy as that. If it were you'd be talking to your next door neighbour. When you buy a pair of adapters they come with a matched encryption key. It is possible sync. a third adapter by pressing security button on an existing adapter and then the security button on the new one. I've only ever done this with identical models, so you'd need to check if you plan to try and put in a different one.
    Home plugs have to be connected on the same electrical mains feed/phase. Your neighbour would be using a different feed. We use them all the time in customer premises and never have an issue. They can either "see" each other & work or they won't!

Thank Post
    I have the cheap on networks ones in my house and found i needed a third. Luckily the OH parents had a spare dlink one. After a quick reset on the dlink adapter, they are now happily taking to each other.

I have found some adapters dont like going through mains boards.

At the place im renting at the moment, there is a high level electrical socket which is wired onto the light circuit and the router and the adapter are fed from this (there is no other plugs in the hall or even near by to use) then using the on network adapters ive got one upstairs on the landing linking to a second router which is acting as an AP to give the whole house a coverage.

The 3rd adapter is just connecting something that doesnt have wifi capabilities.

15. Thanks to timbo343 from:

cpjitservices (10th December 2013)

Thank Post
    I had the thought that powerline adapters would not like going through my Consumer Unit, didnt think adapters would work in the loft but they do as I've tested using my On Networks adapters. Bonus I might buy a cheapie off of ebay and see if it works!

Thanks all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    I had the thought that powerline adapters would not like going through my Consumer Unit,
    I have a delovo unit working in my man cave for which traffic has to transit through two consumer units and some kind of isolation box to get back to the house (not to mention probably 50m of cable). I've not measured throughput but it's fine with Netflix, iPlayer and the likes.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread