+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, You couldn't make this up could you.....we're all in this together. in General; Another easy solution to ' MPs Second Homes' is to simply use the current spate of unused office blocks around ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Another easy solution to 'MPs Second Homes' is to simply use the current spate of unused office blocks around London. Either that or build something for them - that way they won't have to worry about where they are going to live etc.
    I bet if that happened you would see over half of them not bothering to stand again......

2. Thanks to mattx from:

ButterflyMoon (9th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    MPs lost the right to set their own pay after the expenses scandal and, to stop them interfering, the whole decision was handed over to this committee by law. An MP's salary is under £70k per year and most of them maintain two homes. One in their constituency where their family live (and they would soon lose their seat if they didn't) and then they end up having to rent a flat in London as well so that they can work there.; their hours often go on long after public transport has stopped for the night. It doesn't leave much money to play with, so to some extent I have sympathies with them... which actually amazes me, because I hadn't expected to think like that.
    MP's second homes are paid for from expenses. They don't even pay their own heating bills (while simultaneously telling us all to "put another jumper on"). Seems it's also the richest who claim the most. Still, MP's do need to run their offices for the benefit of their constituents and it's nice if you can give your offspring £75,000 a year to skivvy for you.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Another easy solution to 'MPs Second Homes' is to simply use the current spate of unused office blocks around London. Either that or build something for them - that way they won't have to worry about where they are going to live etc.
    I bet if that happened you would see over half of them not bothering to stand again......
    Again, making the job as awful as possible, which is what you appear to be aiming for, is not going to improve the quality of the people doing the job. If you're fed up with the current lot of politicians from all parties as I am that's fine, but setting out to make the job conditions worse hardly seems like the best way to improve the quality of the people taking the job...

5. Thanks to Roberto from:

tmcd35 (9th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Again, making the job as awful as possible, which is what you appear to be aiming for, is not going to improve the quality of the people doing the job. If you're fed up with the current lot of politicians from all parties as I am that's fine, but setting out to make the job conditions worse hardly seems like the best way to improve the quality of the people taking the job...
    How does making good accommodation available make the job worse? In most jobs, when you have to stay overnight, the company organises a hotel. That hotel is most of the time a cheap one - Ibis, Holiday Inn etc... Not the Ritz.

There's no reason such accommodation can't be nice. There's only 650 MPs.

I'm a fan of the idea of putting MP pay up to £100k, and scrapping *all* allowances.

Pay rises should be an average of the country's pay increases. If the average pay increase is 1%, they get 1%. If the average pay falls by 1%, their pay falls by 1%.

MPs should not be treated differently simply because they are in 'power'.

7. 3 Thanks to localzuk:

ButterflyMoon (9th December 2013), kernewek-sam (9th December 2013), mattx (9th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    MP's second homes are paid for from expenses. They don't even pay their own heating bills (while simultaneously telling us all to "put another jumper on"). Seems it's also the richest who claim the most.
    Forgive my ignorance, not read too closely into the issue, but isn't the thrust of @elsiegee40's arguements that these expenses are being stopped in favour of an 11% pay rise?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, not read too closely into the issue, but isn't the thrust of @elsiegee40's arguements that these expenses are being stopped in favour of an 11% pay rise?
    As I understand it, there is a whole raft of reform going on around expenses and especially pensions that go with this. Once the shock-horror dies back a little, maybe we will actually get some clarity on that. If they are getting 11% with nothing else to balance it, I am with Mattx... !

I stand by my belief that MP salaries must be allowed to rise so that anyone can afford to be an MP and not just those who already have money.

Thank Post
    as to the second homes argument why cant the govenment build a "hostel" (for want of better word) for mps to live in so one building its paid for directly so no chance of overpaying to relatives etc

11. Thanks to sted from:

ButterflyMoon (9th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    If they are getting 11% with nothing else to balance it, I am with Guy Faulks !
    There, fixed that for you!

I too would go for a "Hostel", a nice one mind. Lots of 2 bed apartments, fully serviced, for those who have exta-London constituencies. I don't think it is reasonable to expect them to give up high paying jobs, to represent us, without recompensing them properly.
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 9th December 2013 at 09:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    No. The pay rise is supposedly 'balanced' by pension reform and adjustment of resettlement grant (the payoff MP's receive when they leave the job) which varies between 50% and 100% of their annual salary.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    I too would go for a "Hostel", a nice one mind. Lots of 2 bed apartments, fully serviced, for those who have exta-London constituencies.
    By "fully serviced" you would include the massive security bill that such a place would require? Surely it would be a prime target for those planning terrorist activities.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    By "fully serviced" you would include the massive security bill that such a place would require? Surely it would be a prime target for those planning terrorist activities.
    By "massive security bill" you mean G4S employing those planning terroist activities?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yup. Like the massive security bill for the Houses of Parliament, where all those people go anyway...

Thank Post
    Yup. Like it or not, we need to be governed. That costs...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yup. Like the massive security bill for the Houses of Parliament, where all those people go anyway...
    So two massive security bills is better than one?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So two massive security bills is better than one?
    You're making an assumption - that its super expensive to protect the Houses of Parliament. I doubt this.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast