+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, They lost MY laptop *cry* in General; I logged my laptop in for warrenty repair on the 3rd of october they picked it up on the 5'th ...
    Thank Post

They lost MY laptop *cry*

I logged my laptop in for warrenty repair on the 3rd of october

they picked it up on the 5'th

On the 25'th i called asking for an update, acer told me the laptop had been delivered to the wrong company and that it would be with them by the 26'th.

I explained how i was annoyed they didnt realise till i phoned and that i was unhappy about how when my laptop is recieved on the 26'th it will take them a further 3 weeks to order the parts and fix it (their estimate).

and i left it at that.

on the 13'th of november, i phoned up as i still hadnt heard anything. they said the laptop was still with the other company and they would recieve it on the 14'th.

I asked to complain, the guy informed me that he was the manager and that i couldnt speak to anyone higher.

I redialed and asked to speak to his manager... I got his manager, and explained the situation. expressing my dire consern that they have now had my laptop SO LONG, its no-longer in warrenty!!!
    after several "i'll call you back" and not calling me back, its now the 21'st and ive just found out that the laptop IS actually lost.

the driver that went to pick it up from the other company doesnt remember what happend (dont blame him, they left it a month before asking him!!!!)

They said they will give me a £400~ refund for my £700 laptop. because its 10 months old.

I've spoken to trading standards and they have said i should recieve a FULL refund, as if i had sent the laptop myself i would have insured it for the full amount, that they have a duty of care, which they violated.

not to mention that they have a laptop full of my personal data, which they have lost, which is a breach of the data protection act...

Today acer have informed me that citylink will make an offer for my claim, but i wont find out what the offer is till the 1st of december!! and i know it'll be crap, so i'll then have to contest it... im sick of being without a laptop for months!

anyone got any advice???

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: They lost MY laptop *cry*

You did back your data up, right? :?

Thank Post

They're playing you. Get trading standards to write to them or even better write to you and forward the letter on with a letter of complaint to Acer HQ in the UK.

Either you wait and let them play their games or you accept the offer, up to you.

Trading standards tend to scare companies though :P

Thank Post

Yes I did back up my data, but I shouldnt of had to :P
    they were fixing a cd-rw, a memory issue, a webcam issue and a mic issue (bloody acer laptops!!)

It seems that i have to wait for this quote to come through, see apparently city link refund me, and then I then buy a replacement laptop off them....

I don't want to buy anything off acer ever again! :| never mind fill their pockets because they lost my laptop!

I strongly feel if they had acted sooner, and questioned why the laptop hadnt arrived, that it wouldn't have been lost.

the fact that they left it weeks and weeks and it took me phoning up before any action was taken annoys me.

I think they should be sued :P

Thank Post

Write a letter.

Formally asking for your laptop to be returned or a cheque for the full cost of a replacement.

Give them 7 days to comply.

After 7 days write again threatening to take them to the small claims court giving them 7 days to comply.

After 7 days, go to your local civil court, get the forms, fill them in, pay your £30. Its as easy as that. its not that hard, and it does get results.

So far this year we have won 7k in bank charges and a £500 deposit back from a crook garage.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by greenfieldsupport
    I logged my laptop in for warrenty repair on the 3rd of october

they picked it up on the 5'th

On the 25'th i called asking for an update, acer told me the laptop had been delivered to the wrong company and that it would be with them by the 26'th.

I explained how i was annoyed they didnt realise till i phoned and that i was unhappy about how when my laptop is recieved on the 26'th it will take them a further 3 weeks to order the parts and fix it (their estimate).

and i left it at that.

on the 13'th of november, i phoned up as i still hadnt heard anything. they said the laptop was still with the other company and they would recieve it on the 14'th.

I asked to complain, the guy informed me that he was the manager and that i couldnt speak to anyone higher.

I redialed and asked to speak to his manager... I got his manager, and explained the situation. expressing my dire consern that they have now had my laptop SO LONG, its no-longer in warrenty!!!
    after several "i'll call you back" and not calling me back, its now the 21'st and ive just found out that the laptop IS actually lost.

the driver that went to pick it up from the other company doesnt remember what happend (dont blame him, they left it a month before asking him!!!!)

They said they will give me a £400~ refund for my £700 laptop. because its 10 months old.

I've spoken to trading standards and they have said i should recieve a FULL refund, as if i had sent the laptop myself i would have insured it for the full amount, that they have a duty of care, which they violated.

not to mention that they have a laptop full of my personal data, which they have lost, which is a breach of the data protection act...

Today acer have informed me that citylink will make an offer for my claim, but i wont find out what the offer is till the 1st of december!! and i know it'll be crap, so i'll then have to contest it... im sick of being without a laptop for months!

anyone got any advice???
    We just purchased a Lenovo thinkpad T61, and for just £35 we upgraded the warranty to onsite NBD. Some kind of warranty could and should be available for home users but the words horse, cartdoor and bolted do spring to mind.

And at my last company from what I recall we always had Dell come out to repair the laptops. Generally would require a mainboard swap out which they could do onsite.

Never liked the idea of sending something away for repair insurance or not - simply because of the data protection issues you've highlighted.

I think you'll need to chase this for the full refund you're entitled to. That's a cheek from Acer to refund based on age of the laptop.

I suppose all you can do is learn from the experience.

Thank Post

hmmm...

the problem is the laptop has come down in price quite abit, i imagine they are going to force me to take £400

I want MY laptop back!! :|

wont be able to get some of my songs back, damn those drm's!!

What happens about the data protection part??

not to mention all that setup time *cry*

Thank Post

see i dont want another one because...

A. it will take me a week to remove that stupid acer software

B. the drive comes split in half, formatted as fat32 :|
    so as soon as you get the damn thing you have to reinstall the o/s or forever have a split drive

C. The amount of programs that were on it is unreal... :| at least i get my steam games back!! lol

argh,

Thank Post

take the £400, AND the payout the courier will give you - you should get quite a decent laptop for that :P

Thank Post

I had a bad experience with Acer repairs (not quite this bad though) which is why i'd never buy anything acer ever again!!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by greenfieldsupport
    hmmm...

the problem is the laptop has come down in price quite abit, i imagine they are going to force me to take £400

I want MY laptop back!! :|

wont be able to get some of my songs back, damn those drm's!!

What happens about the data protection part??

not to mention all that setup time *cry*
    Cant force you to do anything,

They can offer, you can reject and take them to court.

Dont get fooled by a "similar spec PC" its like for like, so you would reasonably expect the same quality and spec. Just because this years model is faster does not mean you have to settle with an inferior product.

So find out how much it will cost you to buy another laptop of the same brand and same line as the one they lost and stick to your guns.

Dont like those apples? Give me my god damn laptop back then!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 986 Posts
    Blog Entries

Acer have THE worst customer 'service' of any major maufacturer I've ever delt with. They once had a laptop of ours for 3 months!
    To replace a faulty trackpad!!
    Acer have nice kit but dammed lousy customer service. Thats why I don't recommend them to anyone.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd recommend going for a nice HP one with NBD RTB warranty. The ones we have down here are brilliant. The pickup was actually done by the company who were going to repair it rather than a courier - so there is less chance of it going missing. They're nice and speedy at repairs too - 5 working days and it was back with us.

Thank Post

Get a Macbook lol

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by thegrassisgreener
    Get a Macbook lol
    Seconded Never had a problem with mine, it's only the mid spec MacBook Pro but I swear by it now, does everything for me so easily.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast