+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, UK Car Tax Discs to be Scrapped! in General; Originally Posted by sted i suspect that wont happen due to the effect it would have on haulage and public ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i suspect that wont happen due to the effect it would have on haulage and public transport costs
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen a West Midlands Travel bus (in my area), filling up at a petrol station. They must buy it in at a great discount and have their own 'on site' station which could be made the exception. The same would apply for planes too for example.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen a West Midlands Travel bus (in my area), filling up at a petrol station. They must buy it in at a great discount and have their own 'on site' station which could be made the exception. The same would apply for planes too for example.
    from what i remember thy do have their own fuel stations but pay tax like everyone else on fuel it just cuts out the last person in the chain the garage owner

Thank Post
    I think I will just buy a tank - they are often exempt from car tax - and London congestion charge

Therefore a saving on my 1.6 Micra!!

Thank Post
    I calculated the increase in fuel tax needed to recover the Car tax a while back. ISTR it came in at about 1/10 of a penny per litre. (Based on trying to tax a 10000 mile, 40mpg car about the same at the car tax was at the time.)

This would also force EVERYONE to pay their share.

Thank Post
    It's fair to say if you have an older car or one with a larger engine, you'll use more at the pump. You just add x amount of pence per litre and that's it. Why George is avoiding this method is really strange.
    Do you all remember when Labour wanted to low jack everyone’s cars and charge them for the type of roads and the time they were driving? This would have involved paying of the GPS trackers and for the government to invest in yet another overpriced IT system that wouldn’t have worked. Everyone said at the time it would just be easier to apply the cost at the pump as if you don't drive economically or get stuck in rush hour traffic you will pay more tax. Also more efficient cars would pay less tax, there is no obvious reason not to do it except for the fact that they don’t want to.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    Do you all remember when Labour wanted to low jack everyone’s cars and charge them for the type of roads and the time they were driving? This would have involved paying of the GPS trackers and for the government to invest in yet another overpriced IT system that wouldn’t have worked. Everyone said at the time it would just be easier to apply the cost at the pump as if you don't drive economically or get stuck in rush hour traffic you will pay more tax. Also more efficient cars would pay less tax, there is no obvious reason not to do it except for the fact that they don’t want to.
    Ohh yes, quite a few areas were so close to being set up with this - some pretty good lobbying and protests managed to prevent it in some cases. It was also looking like Greater London \ Essex were going to get the Congestion Charge if Livingstone had got re-elected instead of Boris, fortunately enough people saw the light and killed that off too

Thank Post
    I realy wish they would just scrap the tax and load it on petrol.

My car 3.0 V6 Petrol, generaly goes nowhere. It sits on the drive costing VED doing nothing. I walk or cycle to work unless I have to take the kids to Grannies in the mornign ( once a week at most ) .

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    Maybe they could still send out a sticker/disc just saying paid or something similar.
    Like a tax disc?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    I don't re-call that to be honest, but it goes to show most MPs are not technically minded at all. Such a system would be impossible to manage which is why I'm not surprised it never actually happened.

Although George has made the right decision getting rid of tax discs, he hasn't quite nailed it unfortunately. I think that's how he'll be remembered. So close, but never quite hit the bulls eye...

Thank Post
    I don't re-call that to be honest, but it goes to show most MPs are not technically minded at all. Such a system would be impossible to manage which is why I'm not surprised it never actually happened.

Although George has made the right decision getting rid of tax discs, he hasn't quite nailed it unfortunately. I think that's how he'll be remembered. So close, but never quite hit the bulls eye...
    i suspect history will write him out

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    . . . . To make such a change, it'd take decades of wrangling and paper pushing.
    . . . . and people with brains in their skulls!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    I realy wish they would just scrap the tax and load it on petrol.

My car 3.0 V6 Petrol, generaly goes nowhere. It sits on the drive costing VED doing nothing. I walk or cycle to work unless I have to take the kids to Grannies in the mornign ( once a week at most ) .

Rob
    Amen to that. I'd be a bit more creative though. Buy a couple of big old bangers, lop the roofs off and fill with plants. Bit of creative parking and you've installed a low cost guerrilla traffic calming scheme. The road I live on would be much nicer for it. I'd sell the engines to pay for the plants & horse muck and insure them on a [as few miles as possible] pa policy.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mats View Post
    Amen to that. I'd be a bit more creative though. Buy a couple of big old bangers, lop the roofs off and fill with plants. Bit of creative parking and you've installed a low cost guerrilla traffic calming scheme. The road I live on would be much nicer for it. I'd sell the engines to pay for the plants & horse muck and insure them on a [as few miles as possible] pa policy.
    When can we start doing this!?

Thank Post
    I've been paying my VED by the phone system for some time now. Brilliant. Means you don't have to dig out insurance and MOT as DVLA's system already knows they are valid. The losers will be Post Office counters who will have even less work. And with ANPR and a radio link to PNC and DVLA, if the police pull a car over they already know whether it's taxed and insured or not, so the disc has no purpose.
    Abolition may make fraud a bit harder too - scallies have stolen tax discs and got refunds from DVLA on them: no longer possible.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketlane View Post
    And with ANPR and a radio link to PNC and DVLA, if the police pull a car over they already know whether it's taxed and insured or not, so the disc has no purpose.
    Unless the computer systems are out of sync. Could never happen could it? At least with disc, you could "present at a station" to prove you had one.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast