+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
General Chat Thread, Just think, people voted for this man. in General; Originally Posted by localzuk There is a gas lamp, a candle and an gas fire. Which do you light first?" ...
  1. #16

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,253
    Thank Post
    181
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    There is a gas lamp, a candle and an gas fire. Which do you light first?"
    The room?

  2. #17

    bladedanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,269
    Thank Post
    188
    Thanked 298 Times in 224 Posts
    Rep Power
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Our site manager came in asking random questions from a paper today. Things such as "you have a single match left in a matchbox. You enter a room and inside it is dark. There is a gas lamp, a candle and an gas fire. Which do you light first?"

    Thing is, for questions like that it takes a certain type of thinking to get it quickly. Given a bit longer most people will get the answer. Is immediacy *that* important?

    Just like people have different learning styles, they have different thinking styles too.
    You light the match first.

  3. #18

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,253
    Thank Post
    181
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    You light the match first.
    I'd hit the light switch, much quicker and more effective.

  4. #19

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,652
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    You light the match first.
    Yup. But most of us on here work in an industry where logical thinking is a necessity - we use it for diagnostics, for planning, for every aspect of our jobs. Someone running a city doesn't work like that. There's more at play than whether or not computers work. Politics are involved, emotions, etc...

    Intelligence is far more than logic and maths skill.

  5. #20

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,049
    Thank Post
    591
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Our site manager came in asking random questions from a paper today. Things such as "you have a single match left in a matchbox. You enter a room and inside it is dark. There is a gas lamp, a candle and an gas fire. Which do you light first?"

    The answer is "none of them, that's YOUR job to make sure the rooms are lit and heated".

  6. #21

    bladedanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,269
    Thank Post
    188
    Thanked 298 Times in 224 Posts
    Rep Power
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yup. But most of us on here work in an industry where logical thinking is a necessity - we use it for diagnostics, for planning, for every aspect of our jobs. Someone running a city doesn't work like that. There's more at play than whether or not computers work. Politics are involved, emotions, etc...

    Intelligence is far more than logic and maths skill.
    I completely agree. I couldn't care less if they know the price of milk or a loaf of bread (unless they are of course discussing things related to milk and bread) I think the questions put to him in that video were rather unfair as some were more like trick/lateral thinking type questions, the apple one for example.

  7. #22


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,948
    Thank Post
    259
    Thanked 780 Times in 592 Posts
    Rep Power
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Intelligence is far more than logic and maths skill.
    Intelligence : The ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.

    Seems to me Woodworking is knowledge and skill just as much as Logic and Maths are. Sometimes intelligence is most clearly demonstrated by not applying logic.

  8. #23

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,652
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    Indeed. There's also the concept of emotional intelligence. Something which a great number of people in power do lack.

  9. #24

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I don't care whether Boris knows the colour of a bear, so long as he's doing a good job in what he's supposed to do.
    This only came about because of Boris's outspoken comments. It's all very well having an opinion, but he does speak out of line at times and gets shown up as a result.

  10. #25


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,580
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 854 Times in 733 Posts
    Rep Power
    295
    wether you like or hate borris at least as a politician you know what he stands for you might not like or agree with it but theres a lot less spin than with almost any other politician which is a good thing unlike say cameron et all saying "we love greggs" etc when its blatently obvious they dont

  11. #26

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,513
    Thank Post
    1,493
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Rep Power
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Tbh I am pretty concerned he didnt have a clue about the pricing of the underground (1:50) or how to work out the costs.
    Wonder if he can read a tube map and work out that the Circle line does actually go in a loop

  12. #27

    SpuffMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,230
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 278 Times in 186 Posts
    Rep Power
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    wether you like or hate borris at least as a politician you know what he stands for you might not like or agree with it but theres a lot less spin than with almost any other politician which is a good thing unlike say cameron et all saying "we love greggs" etc when its blatently obvious they dont
    tbh honest - I think there's a ton of spin - its just with a different bias

  13. #28

    unixman_again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    693
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 138 Times in 105 Posts
    Rep Power
    134
    I remember a long time ago there was a seemingly obvious question posted on a puzzle newsgroup: "What weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?"

    Here is the surprising answer rot13'ed
    Code:
    Gur cbhaq vf fvkgrra nibveqhcbvf bhaprf (Serapu sbe "tbbqf bs jrvtug").
    Ubjire tbyq vf qvivqrq vagb gebl (sebz Geblrf) bhaprf, naq gurer ner gjryir gebl bhaprf gb gur cbhaq.
    Gur nibveqhcbvf bhapr vf 437.5 tenvaf, juvyr gur gebl bhapr vf 480 tenvaf.
    Na nibveqhcbvf cbhaq vf 7000 tenvaf, juvyr gur gebl cbhaq vf 5760 tenvaf, fb n cbhaq bs srnguref vf fvtavsvpnagyl urnivre guna n cbhaq bs tbyq.
    Vs gur bevtvany dhrfgvba jnf "Jung jrvtuf zber n cbhaq bs srnguref be n cbhaq bs yrnq?", gura gurl obgu qb jrvtu gur fnzr.

  14. 3 Thanks to unixman_again:

    sparkeh (6th December 2013), tmcd35 (6th December 2013), X-13 (6th December 2013)

  15. #29

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,049
    Thank Post
    591
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    Code:
    Gur cbhaq vf fvkgrra nibveqhcbvf bhaprf (Serapu sbe "tbbqf bs jrvtug").
    Ubjire tbyq vf qvivqrq vagb gebl (sebz Geblrf) bhaprf, naq gurer ner gjryir gebl bhaprf gb gur cbhaq.
    Gur nibveqhcbvf bhapr vf 437.5 tenvaf, juvyr gur gebl bhapr vf 480 tenvaf.
    Na nibveqhcbvf cbhaq vf 7000 tenvaf, juvyr gur gebl cbhaq vf 5760 tenvaf, fb n cbhaq bs srnguref vf fvtavsvpnagyl urnivre guna n cbhaq bs tbyq.
    Vs gur bevtvany dhrfgvba jnf "Jung jrvtuf zber n cbhaq bs srnguref be n cbhaq bs yrnq?", gura gurl obgu qb jrvtu gur fnzr.
    I actually didn't know that...

    Also, Cthulhu summoned successfully.

    Attachment 21854

  16. #30
    mthomas08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,608
    Thank Post
    132
    Thanked 165 Times in 146 Posts
    Rep Power
    62
    Some of the questions are "trick" questions, even I had to re-read some of them to realise the answer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Do you think they will fall for this?
    By CESIL in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15th July 2011, 06:55 PM
  2. [Video] My Brain Hurts Just Thinking About This...
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12th February 2010, 09:00 AM
  3. Please Vote For Our School
    By in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th May 2007, 09:45 AM
  4. Who are you voting for on 3rd May?
    By u8dmtm in forum General Chat
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 3rd May 2007, 10:07 PM
  5. I 'm ging to pay for this in the morning
    By ITWombat in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th June 2006, 09:30 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •