+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Rory Cellan-Jones, Technology correspondent in General; Not only does he openly admit to being a pratt after pissing up the wall almost 400, he still is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Rory Cellan-Jones, Technology correspondent

Not only does he openly admit to being a pratt after pissing up the wall almost 400, he still is Technology correspondent for the BBC. I would not trust this pillock with a toaster.

BBC News - The Bitcoin bungler - a salutary tale

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    This idiot again

I'd like to know if he used his own money for his little BitCoin "experiment" [read: f**k up] or the BBCs, in which case he's basically saying "oh silly me, 400 worth of license payers money down the drain because I know jack about my supposed area of expertise, whoops!"

Also, the closing line made me laugh:

And I've two sources of comfort - first of all, the man at that conference who lost 7,000 Bitcoins is now down about $6m (3.7m) by today's exchange rate. And secondly, there is every possibility that we will see that exchange rate plunge again in the coming weeks - so our respective Bitcoin bungles may not matter so much in the long run.
    So not only is he a moron when it comes to technology, he is when it comes to money too. Just because the BitCoin might be worth 1p next year, the guy who lost 7,000 has still lost a potential investment of 3.7m today, so I doubt the fact they might be worth nout one day will come as much comfort!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    the guy who lost 7,000 has still lost a potential investment of 3.7m today, so I doubt the fact they might be worth nout one day will come as much comfort!
    That struck me as a very strange story. Even at the time he claims to have thrown away the HD in mid July, 7000 bitcoin would have been worth - what, half a million? He'd obviously been interested in Bitcoin but he failed to notice that?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I dont mind him too much tbh, he reminds me of those enthusiast teachers who would come in and tell us how the network needs to run because they heard about a virus from a friend, some were genuinely concerned lol.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I dont mind him too much tbh, he reminds me of those enthusiast teachers who would come in and tell us how the network needs to run because they heard about a virus from a friend, some were genuinely concerned lol.
    The problem is, he works for the BBC. There are still a lot of people in this country who look to the BBC as an organization they can trust (despite recent stories!), which in turn means you get your non-techies lapping up his BS and believing every half-arsed, unresearched and sometimes just plain wrong "fact" he spoon feeds them. It's damaging!

6. Thanks to LosOjos from:

mattx (4th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I'd like to know if he used his own money for his little BitCoin "experiment" [read: f**k up] or the BBCs, in which case he's basically saying "oh silly me, 400 worth of license payers money down the drain because I know jack about my supposed area of expertise, whoops!"
    It looks to me like it's 400 at today's prices rather than 400 when purchased - the exchange rate for BitCoins seems to have risen dramatically

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread