+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Help, Interview coming up! in General; Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I have an interview for an ICT Network Manager role in a ...

Thank Post

Help, Interview coming up!

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I have an interview for an ICT Network Manager role in a primary school (KS1/2) and am hoping for some information into possible technical tests and /or likely questions

My background is commercial sector ICT support/network administration and have never worked in schools (other than as a third party support person)

What technical tests are they likely to want me to performing the hour or so they are scheduled for? The last time I had a test it involves putting a computer together and a few simple questions.

Also, what possible questions might they ask and what would you say are the latest trends/big things in KS1/2 schools?

Any help would be greatly appreciate

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,464 Posts
    Blog Entries
    knowledge of acronyms
    knowledge of exchange/server/sql/virtualisation
    knowledge of school structures

Technical tests could be anything IT related, and depends on how the current people feel!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    They may well ask you what you would do if you get to hear of a safeguarding issue - or a child reveals something to you etc. You would refer it straight to the Designated Child Protection/Safeguarding Officer

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi @FireSoul something you do need to keep in mind is you are going for a job at a school not a business. In your business its all about making money, in the school its about teaching and learning. Remember the people asking you questions in the interview will be looking for someone who can assist teaching and learning (in general not necessarily directly). At the end of the day the children only get 1 shot at school, so we have to do our best to make the most of this time. In this day in age, IT is a major part of this. When answering questions try to throw in how important this is, but don't go OTT. Show them you have the kids interests at heart.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 1st December 2013 at 07:19 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm hoping the technical stuff should be ok although I've not used PXE or GPO's much recently.
    @witch very useful point. I'm sure I'll get asked some questions along those lines, I'm assuming stuff like that will have a school policy/procedure setting out the required responses as it's such a big thing these days. I was once asked (for a school ict support role) what I'd do if a child was annoying me when I was fixing a computer in a classroom. Ask them to stop and then tell the teacher if they continued made me sound like a snitch but I guess that was the only correct reply!
    @FN-GM another good point. So long as my answers are child centric I'm hoping I should be ok. I do like the way ICT in schools (imho) is seen more as a useful resource that can be used in many diferent, interesting ways, rather than in business where It's seen as a neccesary evil and is only a cost centre (i.e. consumes money but makes none)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FireSoul View Post
    I was once asked (for a school ict support role) what I'd do if a child was annoying me when I was fixing a computer in a classroom. Ask them to stop and then tell the teacher if they continued made me sound like a snitch but I guess that was the only correct reply!
    In that situation I would say where at all possible the machine would be removed to a secure area to work on so that it wasn't a danger to other people or if that wasn't possible it would be worked on in situ when other users where not around, if that's not possible then a portable barrier should be erected and you would work with the teacher to ensure they maintain control of their students allowing you to work safely.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Read the Ofsted report for the school. What does it say about the school and its intake? What can you glean about the use of ICT in the school? How can ICT be used to help address Ofsted's recommendations for improvement?

The number one issue in a school is Teaching and Learning. If a teacher cannot teach then the children cannot learn. T&L issues are prioritised above others for a NM.... This can be easy to say in theory, but if you have a Headteacher screaming because his printer is jammed, then it should be prioritised below the teacher who cannot get half the class logged into their computers.

The number one is issue is also Safeguarding. From your point of view, you are likely to be deemed the expert on eSafety whether you are or not. Take a look at the school's policies on the website for information. Take a look through our eSafety forum for more information and resources.

Most schools are short of money. Primaries, in particular, often underinvest in their networks and many of us have held, or are holding, our networks together with string and chewing gum. Primary technicians usually work alone which can give issues with expectation of your availability out of office hours and also the fact that you canot be an expert in every area of IT. Lone techs are more like GP Doctors; they need to have a good understanding of most things and defer to the experts when things are too complicated... thank <Deity> for edugeek.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    what I'd do if a child was annoying me when I was fixing a computer in a classroom. Ask them to stop and then tell the teacher if they continued made me sound like a snitch but I guess that was the only correct reply!
    In our case follow the schools discipline policy. Try to show you can work independently and that you don't need teaching staff around to control the children. By the way don't call the children kids in the interview.

Thank Post
    Last Ofstead report is from 2005 and I know they've invested in ICT equipment to address the concerns it expressed. As they are rated 'outstanding' they've not had another full report so I'm getting no useful info from it. Hopefully I'll get a quick look around before the test/interview so I can get an idea of what there i and what issues there are (I shall be asking in the interview what do they see as the pressing needs with regard to ICT in the school).

Some good info and suggestion here, many thanks Interview is tommorow so hopefully my stupid cold will die down before then.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ask lots of questions. It's as much an interview for you, as it is for them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Ask lots of questions. It's as much an interview for you, as it is for them.
    Indeed, I just hate the panel interviews, I always find them to be overly intimidating and there's always that one the says nothing but just stares at you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Being partially deaf, I generally stare at the person talking, to read lips. I made it known to them also.

If you're nervous, tell them. They'll understand. Just try not to sweat like Ted Stryker landing a plane!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread