+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Solar Powered PCs & Servers in General; I've lost good sized orders to several schools in Wales who went with this Solar Ready + Windows MPS 2012 ...
    Thank Post
    I've lost good sized orders to several schools in Wales who went with this Solar Ready + Windows MPS 2012 shared computing solution. Perhaps I should give them a ring and see how they've been getting on with it?

Thank Post
    Well I got a reply, they aren't launching properly until BETT so have limited literature but here is a shot of their overviewSolar Powered PCs & Servers-screen-shot-2013-11-28-14.14.03.png

The chap said:

"Ultimately our solutions will reduce your electricity bills for everything that is plugged into our system, from 50%-80% depending on technology. If you then go one step further and introduce Solar Energy to charge the system, your savings could be between 80%-100%."

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Colin_M View Post
    I've lost good sized orders to several schools in Wales who went with this Solar Ready + Windows MPS 2012 shared computing solution. Perhaps I should give them a ring and see how they've been getting on with it?
    Might be worth doing, I remember them mentioning a school in Wales, If it can work there it might be credible!

4. Thanks to nikaso from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (28th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So they read about datacentres and their use of dc power supplies so it cuts out the inefficiencies of stepping voltage in each and every psu . The solar thing is a nice extra tack on. Like the others I'd be interested in the actual internal spec, what cpu, ram etc it fits in the power envelope.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nikaso View Post
    The chap said:
    "Ultimately our solutions will reduce your electricity bills for everything that is plugged into our system, from 50%-80% depending on technology. If you then go one step further and introduce Solar Energy to charge the system, your savings could be between 80%-100%."
    Their basic claim seems to be that inverter efficiency is poor (60% - i.e. 40% loss is what they state). Inverter efficiency varies from 0 on a trickle to 90% or when operating around the maximum output. Going the other way, switched mode power supplies are generally pretty good, the best ones can achieve 95% efficiency. They will still have switched mode supplies for PC's since most boards need a variety of voltages, not the 12 volts they are likely to be dealing with in the solar/battery setup.

They are a bit cheeky in claiming they have found a way to run things from DC directly (or at least that this is anything new). DC/DC power supplies have been around for years and used by folks to put small PC's in cars (or in my case I ran a Pico ITX a few hours a day from a 15W solar installation in my old shed).

Sounds like a whole bunch of dubious over-inflated claims. So some fun to look forward to at BETT!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post

Imagine not having to worry about power cuts!!
    Unless it's Grid Tied with no automated changeover, then the power goes out anyway.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    DC/DC power supplies have been around for years and used by folks to put small PC's in cars
    indeed, I did this! /geek/

Thank Post
    I remember looking into carputers a long time ago. a DC/AC/DC conversion was surprisingly efficient so much so that it wasn't worth the cost of going direct DC/DC. I think I saw it in and old systm episode.

10. Thanks to chazzy2501 from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (28th November 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123