+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Solar Powered PCs & Servers in General; Originally Posted by FN-GM It doesn't need to be sunny, they generate power on a dull day. But then my ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post

It doesn't need to be sunny, they generate power on a dull day.
    But then my comment isnt funny....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Any PFI school wont be able to do this because of the red tape. Plus lots of PFI schools get the electric bills paid for as part of the rent agreed in the contract, so would the school would see little gain anyway.

It doesn't need to be sunny, they generate power on a dull day.
    Well, you *say* that.

Spitalfields, right next to the office here, used to have a little LCD sign down by the entrance that told you how much power their roof covered in solar panels were generating. They took it down after the first winter when it didn't generate enough power to run the sign.

3. 2 Thanks to Domino:

sonofsanta (28th November 2013), speckytecky (28th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Well, you *say* that.

Spitalfields, right next to the office here, used to have a little LCD sign down by the entrance that told you how much power their roof covered in solar panels were generating. They took it down after the first winter when it didn't generate enough power to run the sign.
    haha. That's quite impressive considering a length of wire and a ground will capture enough to power a crystal set and an LCD

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Well, you *say* that.

ha ha ha

Of course they need sun, they may generate small amounts of power on a 'dull' day

Thank Post
    I saw a demo of this last week, it all looked and sounded good but the cost was prohibitive, it was going to be north of £30k for an IT suite (30 PCs) because the PC base units have to have the special PSUs that can accept DC. Savings on energy were quoted at around £5k per annum but how realistic that is I don't know. Unfortunately the equipment started to smoke when it was being demo'd due to being wired incorrectly but never a good sign in a sales pitch!

The energy savings come from the fact that they are not losing energy by converting from DC solar panels to AC for distribution on the grid and then back to DC through the transformer in the PC, not through any massive advances in solar panel tech.

The server proposition sounded a bit more attractive because you can effectively save a bit of money on power but get a 4 hour UPS in with it as well due to the battery.

From what I remember the plan is to get it to a state where they can lease the equipment (thereby reducing the massive initial Cap Ex) and the savings in energy pays for the PC lease but they aren't there yet.

Thank Post
    Be careful Millgate solar power is something that most people don’t understand and it’s easy to get wowed with figures and estimates - I think you may be sold a scheme here that makes your partner firm (and you) money rather than saving schools money.

60% saving on electricity used by a class of 30 slow atom devices? It’s possible, but at what cost up front?

So – here’s some fag packet calculations:

Assuming each device uses 20w (with TFT) and they're on 7 hours a day they're going to use 4.2kwh a day for the whole suite, so 819kwh per year, or £90 per year at a day rate of 0.11p per kwh.

A 1000w solar set up generates a rough average of 800kwh per year depending on where you are in the Uk – so a 1KW system will save you £90/year in electricity outright (not including any feed in tariff payments as you won’t be feeding anything back to the grid anyway).

So to summarise you’d need a 1kw solar “plant” in order to save £90 per year in electricity used by just 1 suite of really low power really low end slow energy saving PCs.

How much would a 1KW solar plant cost? I am willing to wager, more than £90 a year. So the school is onto a net loss for at least the first 10-15 years?

Doesn’t sound like a good deal to me – unless you can give us some figures that prove otherwise?

Thank Post
    Ok so based on nikaso's prices above - this is a masive money making scheme for the solar company, at massive extra cost to the school.

Not good!

Thank Post
    and if batteries are involved as suggested above, factor in replacing those every 5 years also.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nikaso View Post
    Savings on energy were quoted at around £5k per annum but how realistic that is I don't know.
    More back of fag packet : KWH cost ~£0.15, Typical PC KWh 0.1 for 10 hours per day, 200 days per year with 30 PC's per room. Around £900. If you reduced the PC use to 20w (0.02), you would save £720 a year. So you would need nearly 7 rooms or 210 PC's to save £5K per year.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What a brilliant idea!

Surely this is the future.

Imagine not having to worry about power cuts!!

Thank Post
    Regardless of any possible savings and how long it would take (or whether this kind of device would be useful/acceptable in a school environment) I do have to say.. Photovoltaic POE is certainly an interesting concept.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    So you would need nearly 7 rooms or 210 PC's to save £5K per year.
    But you'd have to spend £210,000 up front in order to save that £5k a year.

Thank Post
    I've emailed the chap who demo'd it for me asking for some breakdown of the costings etc. Will post them up here if I get them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    But you'd have to spend £210,000 up front in order to save that £5k a year.
    A mere 42 years to wait before you are raking it in! Save the planet AND be praised for really thinking far ahead!
    Last edited by pcstru; 28th November 2013 at 02:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    A mere 42 to wait before you are raking it in! Save the planet AND be praised for really thinking far ahead!

Unless the energy companies keep ramping up the prices of course! Might be profitable in a couple of years!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast