+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Where is the consumer age heading? in General; There have been a couple of Samsung Galaxy phones in the office drawer for a month or so. This morning ...

Thank Post

Where is the consumer age heading?

There have been a couple of Samsung Galaxy phones in the office drawer for a month or so. This morning I decided to ry and reunite them with their owners. I put them on charge but they were both locked. So I removed the SD cards and mangaed to track down the owners from the photos. One was delighted to get it back, the other lad wasn't aware he'd mislaid his expensive phone!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 823 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    the other lad wasn't aware he'd mislaid his expensive phone!
    A teenager who "didn't realise" they had lost their mobile phone? Are you sure it was his?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    A teenager who "didn't realise" they had lost their mobile phone? Are you sure it was his?
    If he is anything like our lot he might have more than 1 phone. They seem to alternate them! Might have lost one while using the other.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,216 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    My wife works part time in a college library and she told me that they had reunited a student with their debit card last week after they had it there for a week. they hadn't even noticed it missing either.
    I suspect a lot of this is down to the fat that someone else is providing the money/phone. They tend not to have the same kind of value than something you have had to pay for yourself.
    What unnerves me is how debt is being promoted as a 'normal' state to be in to youngsters these days. From Wonga to tuition fees, school leavers are having the idea that debt is something you 'need' and can 'have' pushed at them now. This is not good IMO.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    What unnerves me is how debt is being promoted as a 'normal' state to be in to youngsters these days. From Wonga to tuition fees, school leavers are having the idea that debt is something you 'need' and can 'have' pushed at them now. This is not good IMO.
    This gets me, I'm in my early twenties and I mentioned to some of my mates that for the first time ever I went into my overdraft, but it was okay because it was for the 3 hours between rent out and pay in. They all revealed that they practically live in theirs and its rare to be out of it...

I do attach less value to my phone than other things of the same value mainly because it was "free" with my contract and its got less than a year now before its replaced with another "free" phone.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My wife works part time in a college library and she told me that they had reunited a student with their debit card last week after they had it there for a week. they hadn't even noticed it missing either.
    I can see how that can be easily done. The vast majority of the time i use cash, so might not notice as quick I have "misplaced" my debit card.

Thank Post
    I suspect a lot of this is down to the fat that someone else is providing the money/phone. They tend not to have the same kind of value than something you have had to pay for yourself.
    but thats society at the moment loans are a quick fix (and much less hassle than saving for something). Just look at cars ive only ever once borrowed cash for a car (a whole £1500 over a year and thats was to get rid of a lemon) but a lot of people seem to use hire purchase etc and a never own them and b always have to keep shelling out. I honestly think a lot of people cant rell the difference between cost and value anymore and throwing money at banks for effectively being stupid sets a bad example

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    the other lad wasn't aware he'd mislaid his expensive phone!
    That's because he hasn't. It's mine. Honest Guv'.

Realistically, it'll have been bought for him by mummy and daddy, and thus has very little actual value to them.

Thank Post
    It occurred to me that he may have deliberately lost it so he could get a new one.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've got an iPad Mini in reception and no-one has claimed it yet - unbelievable. Passcode protected but we'll easily get around that when the call comes to find out who it belongs to.

Thank Post
    We had a couple of kids that took 2 phones to school, so when they got caught, they'd hand over the wrong phone!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    D'oh the moment I finish typing a member of staff breezes in and collects it - put it down in the café and forgot it last Friday.....how do you forget something like that?!

Thank Post
    I do attach less value to my phone than other things of the same value mainly because it was "free" with my contract and its got less than a year now before its replaced with another "free" phone.
    Or you can buy a sim free phone and ask for a much cheaper contract. I pay £5 pm for my contract.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Or you can buy a sim free phone and ask for a much cheaper contract. I pay £5 pm for my contract.
    What do you get for that? I went for the Carphone Whorehouse Galaxy Ace with 2000 texts, 250 minutes and 500Mb data for £7.50. It's on vodafone, which is pretty poor here.

Thank Post
    What do you get for that? I went for the Carphone Whorehouse Galaxy Ace with 2000 texts, 250 minutes and 500Mb data for £7.50. It's on vodafone, which is pretty poor here.
    200mins 200 txts 2gb data + I also want a good phone and currently the Nexus 5 on contact is £25 pm.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast