+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
General Chat Thread, London Underground Shutting Ticket Offices in General; Link: BBC News - Tube ticket offices to close and 750 jobs to go ...The Tube will also run 24 ...
  1. #1

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    9,381
    Thank Post
    354
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1203

    London Underground Shutting Ticket Offices

    Link: BBC News - Tube ticket offices to close and 750 jobs to go

    ...The Tube will also run 24 hours a day on Fridays and Saturdays on some lines...
    ...It is also promising:
    • Wi-fi coverage across all below-ground stations
    • Disabled access at a further 27 stations
    • Contactless bank card payment to make it easier to pay for tickets
    • More new trains and updates for stations...
    ...The Rail, Maritime and Transport Union (RMT), which represents most of the station staff who would be affected, has already said it would "fight these plans with every tool at our disposal and that includes political, public and industrial campaigning on an unprecedented scale"...

  2. #2
    rickjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    562
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 69 Times in 50 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    Smart by TFL to lump in 24 hour trains into the presser. I haven't used a TO in years but kind of get then again as a resident they're not intended for me.

    Can't wait to see this put into place, it'll be chaos.

  3. #3
    gwendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,501
    Thank Post
    163
    Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
    Rep Power
    29
    Can't they just get rid of the useless staff and keep the TOs? I'm the same, rarely use them.
    Oyster card vending machines should be brought back!

    24hr Northern Line? HELL YES!

  4. #4
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Reigate Area, Surrey
    Posts
    4,428
    Thank Post
    884
    Thanked 416 Times in 316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    61
    Rep Power
    328
    The staff are moving from the ticket office to the gates, can't see any problem aside from some of the jobs getting cut. The only time I have used the ticket office was to moan about an Oyster penalty! The unions will wreck this though so don't hedge bets on 24 hour trains just yet.

    My primary concern is if this spreads to National Rail as those ticket offices are useful! I use my local one heavily and rarely visit the machines as the staff are good at working out the best routes and fares for you.

  5. #5
    gwendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,501
    Thank Post
    163
    Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    The staff are moving from the ticket office to the gates, can't see any problem aside from some of the jobs getting cut. The only time I have used the ticket office was to moan about an Oyster penalty! The unions will wreck this though so don't hedge bets on 24 hour trains just yet.

    My primary concern is if this spreads to National Rail as those ticket offices are useful! I use my local one heavily and rarely visit the machines as the staff are good at working out the best routes and fares for you.
    What about small stations? Recently all the ticket machines weren't working/accepting cash and I would have been screwed without the ticket office. Broken Oyster card? Gate staff are useful but I fail to see how operating TO costs much more...

  6. #6

    Andrew_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,138
    Thank Post
    65
    Thanked 424 Times in 319 Posts
    Rep Power
    169
    I avoid the Smoke like the plague. Having a real person to ask is a boon; yes you can buy a ticket froma machine, but it won't tell you the BEST way to get from Richmond to the O2 is to use the train to Waterloo, then UG. I'd have just hopped on the tube.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,963
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 153 Times in 117 Posts
    Rep Power
    50
    I very rarely use them, but it wouldn't be the smartest idea to close them. Reduce them at big stations maybe but there needs to be some prescence.

    24 hour opening though? Fantastic, though in fairness the night buses aren't too bad

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    I avoid the Smoke like the plague. Having a real person to ask is a boon; yes you can buy a ticket froma machine, but it won't tell you the BEST way to get from Richmond to the O2 is to use the train to Waterloo, then UG. I'd have just hopped on the tube.
    You should know that the tube is rarely the best route anywhere from Richmond!

  8. #8
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Reigate Area, Surrey
    Posts
    4,428
    Thank Post
    884
    Thanked 416 Times in 316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    61
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by gwendes View Post
    What about small stations? Recently all the ticket machines weren't working/accepting cash and I would have been screwed without the ticket office. Broken Oyster card? Gate staff are useful but I fail to see how operating TO costs much more...
    London Underground would be fools not to have a backup system for that scenario. Even National Rail have a last ditch failsafe with the Permit to Travel machines (which in themselves are a poor system nobody knows about!). There has to be a member of staff round though if a station has ticket barriers. If the ticket office was the backup system, they'd need to replace it with something else or fare enforcement will collapse.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kendal, Cumbria
    Posts
    616
    Thank Post
    60
    Thanked 67 Times in 44 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    What is this "Tube" of which you speak and the National Press and media seems full of reports on?

    For the vast majority of the inhabitants of these fair Isles .... the Tube was a really good TV show from newcastle in the 80s that featured various popular music combos!

  10. #10

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,447
    Thank Post
    1,537
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Rep Power
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by gwendes View Post
    Oyster card vending machines should be brought back!
    I used one the other week to get a card for my sister, they seem to have modded a normal card payment only machine to spit out cards as well so was happy with that

  11. #11

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,374
    Thank Post
    906
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    468
    I hate using ticket machines

  12. #12
    gwendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,501
    Thank Post
    163
    Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I used one the other week to get a card for my sister, they seem to have modded a normal card payment only machine to spit out cards as well so was happy with that
    Nifty. Where was that? Also, refunds for those of us who've got a few cards now?

  13. #13

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,447
    Thank Post
    1,537
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Rep Power
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by gwendes View Post
    Nifty. Where was that? Also, refunds for those of us who've got a few cards now?
    You can take the card back to a ticket office and get the deposit back

    Euston was this machine, it was a normal machine as I expected to get a paper one but it said you can buy your oyster here so I did

  14. #14
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Reigate Area, Surrey
    Posts
    4,428
    Thank Post
    884
    Thanked 416 Times in 316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    61
    Rep Power
    328

  15. #15

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,226
    Thank Post
    1,926
    Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,776 Posts
    Rep Power
    842
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    No Circle Line? That makes things much more difficult and the rest of it less useful.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24th July 2011, 12:09 AM
  2. London Underground In 2016 As Imagined In 2004
    By DaveP in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 8th March 2011, 10:16 PM
  3. [Website] The Daily Mail's Editorial Agenda as The London Underground
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th July 2010, 01:16 PM
  4. Live train map for the London Underground.....
    By mattx in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 21st June 2010, 05:09 PM
  5. London underground dinner party
    By eduabncs in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 1st September 2007, 12:15 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •