+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What can I expect as a new ICT technician? in General; holding a sheet of paper (anything will do) and looking agitated whilst periodically appearing to read from your sheet of ...

Thank Post

Re: What can I expect as a new ICT technician?

holding a sheet of paper (anything will do) and looking agitated whilst periodically appearing to read from your sheet of paper is a good technique for getting from A to B without being ambushed by $randomStudent or $randomTeacher with poinlessQuery(). Headshaking and overenthusiastic tutting are optional extras but work well in conjucntion with the above.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hold a mobile to your ear and talk loudly into it ...

"What do you mean, the server is on fire? Well ... push it out the window then ... stop being a wuss, it will only give you third degree burns ... that's the mark of a *proper* techie ... bleedin' youth of today ... don't know when you've got it easy ... Now what? You are on fire?!? ... take your clothes off then ..."

I am sure it will make people leave you alone and let you get where you are going.

You may have to give another techie a few small burns so that the staff / students believe you, but that is a minor price to pay.

Thank Post

if all else fails, you could always stop them in the middle of their forced conversation, cock your head to the side and look like you're concentrating, then mutter "they're in pain..I hear them..the servers are screaming...OH MY GOD!!" and run off in totally the opposite direction...

I'm blessed with sensitive hearing, and it's not unknown for me to walk into a room, stop, tip my head to the side, listen and then say "bugger..your PC needs a service" because I can hear the fan pitch isn't in the "normal range".

It's always staggered me that you walk into a suite of 35 PCs, and you can always hear when there's a discordant whine amongst all of them.

Thank Post

Ensure everyone is clear where responsibilites lie and enforce them, this will save you grief in the long run.

for example:

1) Here, no-one but IT staff (technical) are allowed to change / install / decide on anything network or computer related.
    2) Curriculum software has to be approved (for compatability / playing nicely with other systems) by technical staff, who have final say.
    3) Some staff can install software on their laptop provided we have a valid license / it's OS / free for educational use but we will not support software we haven't installed / approved.

Establish boundaries - if you want to set aside undisturbed time (Friday afternoon or whatever) to get work done, make this clear from the start.

If you're the only IT guy there, try and get a someone in the SMT as your line manager (or hope the senior IT guy has them as line manager).

Additionally:

During interview stages, try to walk round the site with an IT guy / talk to him out of earshot of teachers / SMT. Work out what's really going on. If you can, when they offer you the job, ask for a final lookaround with him before you decide whether to take it.

Of course, while this worked for me, YMMV.

Thank Post

Us? Ordered to do something stupid? Doesn't happen..

My line manager is the network manager, his line manager is the deputy head..we have weekly consult meetings of the IT Team and deputy head, and it has been commented on that we are the most "tight knit" department in the school.

Oooh yes, if during interview you're taken round by a student or teacher on a tour, file the spiel they feed you under "suspicious, uncorroborated tosh", and don't take it as gospel. The kids told me this place was great, sang it's praises etc...didn't tell me about all the staff in-fighting, the (then) low morale, and the fact that not all kids were like the appointed "guide". IE, they were little sods.

It's improved a lot though..new management, new staff..I've been here 6 years, which makes me an "old man", as I'm the only member of IT thats been here since before the NGFL network went in, and can remember what this school was like, which is why when the new staff say "they're horrible!", I just grin and say "nah.".

Thank Post

My only advice is dont be scared to say "im not sure but ill find out and get back to you"

The internet has the answer for everything and you can teach yourself everything IT from there so if you cant or dont know how to do something then go and find out.

I have been on four or five courses which didnt teach me much (other then the XML and ASP.net course) and have had no other formal training other then teaching myself and i can quite competantly deal with most problems.

Also if its not working dont treat the machine like a puppy thats broke its leg, get in there get the job done and dont be scared to make the odd mistake just try to make sure you have some way of rectifying the mistake.
    Thanks
    .matt

Thank Post

another point-mug up on MP3 players and operational methods.. I've just been handed my 3rd MP3 player to "make it work"..heh. It's called RTfrickingM..

Thank Post

What can you expect?

Well crap pay for one!

Lots of presents and things at Christmas but lots of pressure during the year...

Pete

Thank Post

ROFL...too true. They're a bit stuck with me..I don't drink..

Thank Post

You'll get asked to sort out problems with teacher's home machines. Some will even consider it part of your job to keep their home box going. (we had a teacher bring his home system in without asking first - it sat there untouched for a week before he got the hint)

Although doing the odd upgrade for staff can be rewarding, you can get sucked in to being their personal technician bitch for life.

Thank Post

do yourself a favour - create a sysprep ghost image of an XP pro install with Office and a virus checker. Whenever a child/teacher brings their home box in with an "it's Broken", we blast it with the image, and 5 minutes later they walk out with a clean machine running XP, office and a virus checker.

Reinstalling it manually is not a nice thing to be lumbered with if it's near the end of the day!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We don't do home PCs unless they pay us for it. Although they belive it is their right to have their home PCs done for free, we don't not let them get away with it. Do we expect them [teachers] to give our kids (for those of use who have them) private tuition at no expense? I think not.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    We don't do home PCs unless they pay us for it. Although they belive it is their right to have their home PCs done for free, we don't not let them get away with it. Do we expect them [teachers] to give our kids (for those of use who have them) private tuition at no expense? I think not.
    Too right! Unless they are particularly popular - its cash in hand - no promises of being "taken out for a drink" or "looked after", having been disappointed in both fields before now...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy
    do yourself a favour - create a sysprep ghost image of an XP pro install with Office and a virus checker. Whenever a child/teacher brings their home box in with an "it's Broken", we blast it with the image, and 5 minutes later they walk out with a clean machine running XP, office and a virus checker.
    lmfao

Sure - if you want to land yourself in trouble with MS regarding handing out MS licenses on a silver platter lol

Even if they have XP Pro & Office, replacing them with volume copies is a big no no... just so you know.

I'd start saying No to that from now on - unless the school is professing to be a IT Repair shop also lol

Just my 2p dude.
    Nath.

Thank Post

NGFL have no issue with it...."as long as they're a student/teacher, they can have Xp/Office from us, here's the media..". Thats the media I used for the sysprep.

Steve and I have our doubts, but NGFL keep insisting..

I will be switching it to OO.org 2.0 in the next version, but it's still on XP Pro..I doubt our kids would like Ubuntu!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast