+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Movie Site virus in General; Evening all, I was browsing the interweb last night, looking for a release date for a film on sky movies ...

Thank Post

Movie Site virus

Evening all,

I was browsing the interweb last night, looking for a release date for a film on sky movies and came across a website with movies on it. Usually I just get the hell out of there asap as I know they are full of nasties but for some reason I clicked in and it had what it said on the site but a warning flashed up on my screen really quickly with a virus warning and went away.

I had done several scans with my av and some commercial spyware stuff but found only tracking cookies but I am still a bit nervous.

Obviously I cannot post the movie website name and search engines don't come up with any results for the site saying its full of stuff.... only think I can see it does is annoy you with popups.

I am going to wipe my machine tomorrow but anyone come across stuff like this before with nasties that good av's don't pick up and get stung?

Thank Post
    It was probably just a popup, you get these a lot on sites like the one you mentioned. If you have scanned and nothing has shown up I think wiping might be overkill, have you scanned with malwarebytes?
    You should install an ad block browser extension to help avoid such things in future.
    Last edited by yugo; 19th November 2013 at 11:56 PM.

3. Thanks to yugo from:

speckytecky (20th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Oh dear.

It appears that MS Security Essentials is a bit pants if your going to go searching out sites like this (well duhhhh). I ran this and Search and Destroy which I used to liek and it found nothing. I installed Vipre and its found 4.

I think 2 of them are Android exploits I downloaded for my old phone which itspicking up as false positives but one is the Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT Trojan.

This calls for a wipe me thinks but its my own fault for doing somethign I should have known better about.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread