+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Databases in General; This is a very vague question, not school related I need to knock up a database for existing data. I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries

Databases

This is a very vague question, not school related

I need to knock up a database for existing data.

I can knock one up in access/openoffice etc really easily, it doesn't need to do anything fancy, just store data in a slightly easier and more formal fashion than a now sizable spreadsheet.

I would however like to be a little more flexible with it. The ideal scenario would be something that could be accessible (offline I hasten to add) from an Android device and then synchronised on return to a physical computer to the main DB.

Any ideas on that? Wondering if something like Google Docs may be usable. I imagine the mobile end need not even be the full DB however it would be nice if it was searchable out on the road (and very often out of connectivity)

Thank Post
    If it was me, I'd use Visual Studio \ SQL 2012. It's what I know and you can get Windows web hosting for £3.60 a month with a MSSQL database. Was thinking about doing a similar thing to keep track of my DVDs and what movies I've watched or want to see - always had difficultly remembering when I'm in blockbuster - but as that's gone under it's pretty pointless.

Depends how much time you've got to spend, nothing wrong with a spreadsheet and dropbox

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The spreadsheet is getting a little unruly - this is for my stepmum's business.Basically the brief is something she can input into easily (proper tabbing etc) without looking like a mess of a spreadsheet. Also therefore searchable etc. That is easy peasy but before I JFDI in Base or something (openoffice) I want to explore a way to make it easy for her to add entries whilst out and about. As she works in the sticks, the fastest connection from her mobile phone is one she makes herself with string and a cup.

Thank Post
    I guess Access \ Base (is that the openoffice version of access?) with dropbox\google drive to sync back to the desktop when you return home\get on wifi.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread