+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Low salary? Neighbour paid more.... ? in General; In respect of the low salaries paid in educational ICT , is the light at the end of the tunnel ...

Low salary? Neighbour paid more.... ?

In respect of the low salaries paid in educational ICT, is the light at the end of the tunnel a train coming in the opposite direction, or maybe daylight?

Well, in East Sussex it may be daylight.

I am aware that an issue has been raised with the ESCC HR Dept over salaries paid at ESCC schools - the salaries are wide ranging from less than 14k to over 18k for the SAME JOB! I say same job, in fact i mean job description.

It seems that the HR Dept at ESCC might be in agreement, as they have decided to look into it, and the 'murmurings' thus far seem fairly positive.

Whether this will amount to some sort of 'standardisation' of salaries, I know not, but my guess is that schools will have to start paying equal ranges of salary, and/or job grades will have to be reflected more uniformly across schools/colleges.

If you are affected, contact your HR dept to raise this issue, but do some homework first. If you know of a colleague who is earning more than you for the same job AND job description, then they should be interested. Involving a Trade Union might seem heavy handed, but it might also make the HR dept see you mean business.

You will probably find it pointless talking to line management, as their hands are tied to budget, so they have no real opportunity to address the issue, or concern to do so.

I might be mis-informed, but I understand that Teaching Assistant grades are to be uniformed across the country from 2008/9 as their pay scales are currently wide ranging too. This is going to mean an increase in pay for many staff.

Maybe, with a bit of 'voice', ICT Technicians can get the same recognition?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Low salary? Neighbour paid more.... ?

It's called Job Evaluation in Duham CC (Workforce restructuring/remodelling in other areas?) It's now November 2007 (well after the April 2007 deadline!) and we are still to get fair pay across job roles.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

If you think the tech jobs vary in salary: - NM jobs can vary between £20k and £40k depending on the Head Teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    If you think the tech jobs vary in salary: - NM jobs can vary between £20k and £40k depending on the Head Teacher.
    That's the NM's problem

My immediate concern is that of the humble techie 8O

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    It's called Job Evaluation in Duham CC (Workforce restructuring/remodelling in other areas?) It's now November 2007 (well after the April 2007 deadline!) and we are still to get fair pay across job roles.
    We have supposedly done this in ESCC. Not sure what it actually did though. My worry is though if I am paid more than others will my pay get cut down!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It's possible, yes... It was reported that a some IT staff in Staffordshire suffered pay cuts of over £7k. Thankfully lower-paid techies (such as me) get a nice boost though.

Thank Post

Don't think for one minute that the LEA's are using these "Job Evaluations" in order to broker "equal pay".

They're using them to cut costs across the board.

Equal pay is no use whatsoever when we don't do equal jobs and we don't perform equally. People who do more, take on more responsibilty and even perform better - should get paid more. Not under "Job Evaluations" they don't.

When this gets implemented - staff that are passionate and go the extra mile end up thinking "why bother". May as well just do the same as tom dick and harry down the road who do sod all but get paid the same.

Butuz

PEO
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by webman
    We have supposedly done this in ESCC. Not sure what it actually did though. My worry is though if I am paid more than others will my pay get cut down!
    I think your pay will be protected for 3 year should it be reduced.

my pay went up from just under 12k to 15k. term time only.

Thank Post

Remember that this works both ways, we have TA's here who have been evaluated and downgraded. They have been through the appeal and lost. How they have been matched to the jobs they have been is beyond me. But going to appeal is unlikely to win as it means everyone who does your job will be upgraded and that will cost a lot of money. Me cynical -oh yes. I have been fighting my corner for a while now, and when JE was supposed to come in (last April) I thought it would be worth my while to stay here and (hopefully) be paid for what I actually do. Well I doubt anything will be sorted before the end of the year and it leaves you in the horrible positition of not knowing where you stand and is it worth you looking for other jobs.

Job Evaluation should have been good for us low paid grunts, but it looks like it will end up being same money extra responsibilites at best.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm spitting blood over this JE malarky (I'm being JEshafted next year so watch this space) - our junior Science Tech is going to lose £2k and my IT Tech thankfully stays on the same pay but to add insult to injury by not increasing his pay has been told that his job isn't stressful!!!!!

Thank Post

Thank Post

still waiting for our job evaluations...called MRS (Modern Rewards Strategy). We were told April 07, then July, then September, then December..now they are talking about April 2008.

Still, the lump sum payment WHEN pay goes up will be nice .

I use the term WHEN as if I got paid any less, then I would have to pay to work!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pumaedition
    Still, the lump sum payment WHEN pay goes up will be nice
    Apart from the tax

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online
    I might be mis-informed, but I understand that Teaching Assistant grades are to be uniformed across the country from 2008/9 as their pay scales are currently wide ranging too. This is going to mean an increase in pay for many staff.

Maybe, with a bit of 'voice', ICT Technicians can get the same recognition?
    We will the national pay scheme is for all support staff not just TA's I think 08/09 is bit optimistic on the time scale.

They are currently getting all the job descriptions and pay grades from all lea's and try to get some kind of unformed view of it all. The plan is for the body/group to be in place by September 08 so my guess is April 09 if they can get there acts together.

More info here http://www.unison.org.uk/education/schools/index.asp

Russell

Thank Post

As someone who has worked in industry for a long time before education I've seen this all before.

There were various schemes called by various names and on the face of it looked like people were going to get decent salary at last. The reality was just has been mooted here. It was used as a cost cutting exercise and some staff ended up with a pay cut.

Outcome was staff that were suffering from low moral felt even worse.

All the schemes seem to offer a lot of hope for low paid workers but never seem to deliver. There might be a few who benefit but in general most see no change and a significant proportion end up worse off.

If what I've seen before happens there will be many staff leaving after the let down of these schemes.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast