Poll: Appoaching traffic lights that are showing green I

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44
General Chat Thread, Traffic Lights in General; Originally Posted by Gatt I agree with @ twin--turbo Continue at your current speed, but be prepared to stop should ...
  1. #31

    StevieM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    1,114
    Thank Post
    471
    Thanked 523 Times in 345 Posts
    Rep Power
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    I agree with @twin--turbo

    Continue at your current speed, but be prepared to stop should the lights or other conditions warrant it.
    At no point should you deliberately speed up to get through the lights..
    Or deliberately slow down, for that matter. That's what amber is for. If you can't stop safely within the time the lights turn from amber to red, then you're driving too fast in the first place.

  2. #32

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,241
    Thank Post
    289
    Thanked 791 Times in 600 Posts
    Rep Power
    347
    Look, as we all know, the correct way would be to have all windows down with the stereo turned up full, preferably have a huge great subwoofer filling the boot, drop a gear or two so you are red lining on the tach and have your mates hanging out the windows demonstrating sign language.

  3. 2 Thanks to teejay:

    Fleetwood (18th November 2013), StevieM (18th November 2013)

  4. #33

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,806
    Thank Post
    880
    Thanked 684 Times in 453 Posts
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    The new rule for running lights comes from Europe:
    New cars to be fitted with daytime running lights - February - 2011 - Which? News
    I can see that they might be a problem for bikes but I think they can be useful - my last car was dark grey and almost invisible against the tarmac.
    Useful at doing what exactly? Blinding the hell out of other drivers or for stealth tailgating?
    Cos that seems to be all they are used for at present!

  5. #34

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,349
    Thank Post
    1,489
    Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Rep Power
    774
    Traffic Lights-mitsubishi.jpg


    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Useful at doing what exactly? Blinding the hell out of other drivers or for stealth tailgating?
    Cos that seems to be all they are used for at present!
    Blimey - not sure what sort of running lights you have seen but mine are small round lights inset into the bumper (see above) - not capable of blinding anyone! How do running lights helps stealth tailgating?
    Last edited by witch; 18th November 2013 at 11:04 AM.

  6. #35
    Fleetwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    757
    Thank Post
    188
    Thanked 107 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Look, as we all know, the correct way would be to have all windows down with the stereo turned up full, preferably have a huge great subwoofer filling the boot, drop a gear or two so you are red lining on the tach and have your mates hanging out the windows demonstrating sign language.
    Don't forget it's while driving a 1.0l french car that has a spoiler/bodykit combo probably heavier than the vehicle, with an induction kit from Halfrauds to make it sound like they're in bloody Nascar.

    I've also noticed something quite odd in recent months: Normally when I've been at the front of a junction with two lanes at the lights, Joe Bloggs pulls up alongside, revs a bit, sometimes a few gestures given to me, then as soon as they hit amber he shoots off like a rocket's gone up his @r53.

    Now though, I always come across these muppets that wait until I set off - like they think I'm going to take off when they hit amber, realise I'm not moving until it's green, then when I pull off slowly they start to peg it. I don't understand what the obsession is with people to do this? I'm not going to race you, just get on with it and get a sodding move on!
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 18th November 2013 at 11:08 AM.

  7. #36

    Andrew_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,087
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 404 Times in 307 Posts
    Rep Power
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Blimey - not sure what sort of running lights you have seen but mine are small round lights inset into the bumper (see above) - not capable of blinding anyone! How do running lights helps stealth tailgating?
    Look at the funky DLRs on Audis, Range Rovers, and other Chelsea Tractors. Huge, bright, dazzling things.

    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    I already have my DRLs. They're called Side Lights, funnily enough they've been around for a very long time
    Those are parking lights. DLRs are designed to be seen over a distance, not just to indicate an obstruction.


    Note to self - Order DLRs for bike. Research shows that two lights some distance apart resolve distance / speed better than a single headlight.

  8. #37
    Fleetwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    757
    Thank Post
    188
    Thanked 107 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Those are parking lights. DLRs are designed to be seen over a distance, not just to indicate an obstruction.
    I know, I personally haven't ever used them though. But to be honest I've never seen them used for that purpose either. At all. I've always seen them used whilst it's been ' a bit dark' but not enough to compensate needing dipped beam, never seen them on a car while parked up.

    I don't mind DRLs, but as has been pointed out already, some people seem to think they're a replacement for their headlights. Not a good method!

  9. #38

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,349
    Thank Post
    1,489
    Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Rep Power
    774
    mrwITch drives on his sidelights when it is a bit dark - I hate it, I was taught that they were only for parking

  10. #39

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,806
    Thank Post
    880
    Thanked 684 Times in 453 Posts
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mitsubishi.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	21571



    Blimey - not sure what sort of running lights you have seen but mine are small round lights inset into the bumper (see above) - not capable of blinding anyone! How do running lights helps stealth tailgating?
    Imagine a nice shiney new BMW/Audi/Land Rover/retc coming towards you with 4 very, very bright lights pointed at you - in the dark

    Stealth tailgating = The act of "tailgating" another vehicle whilst only having your DRLs on and no headlamps. Result, car in front doesn't know you are there..

  11. #40

    HarryMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    1,185
    Thank Post
    62
    Thanked 236 Times in 178 Posts
    Rep Power
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Imagine a nice shiney new BMW/Audi/Land Rover/retc coming towards you with 4 very, very bright lights pointed at you - in the dark

    Stealth tailgating = The act of "tailgating" another vehicle whilst only having your DRLs on and no headlamps. Result, car in front doesn't know you are there..
    Surely if all of these DLRs are as bright and dazzling as you say, how can the car in front not know it's there?

  12. #41

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,806
    Thank Post
    880
    Thanked 684 Times in 453 Posts
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryMonkey View Post
    Surely if all of these DLRs are as bright and dazzling as you say, how can the car in front not know it's there?
    it's either / or

    They either approach with all lamps blazing
    or
    sneak up from behind with just their DRLs on

  13. #42
    Fleetwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    757
    Thank Post
    188
    Thanked 107 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    44
    As much as I loathe my Corsa, the one thing it does have that makes up for it is one of those Anti-Dazzle rear view mirrors. Just twist the knob underneath and bam, I can still see the behind but it's dimmed it down - no more idiots in luxury cars getting up my rear with their lights on full power.. bleh, don't get me started on tailgaters...

  14. #43

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,806
    Thank Post
    880
    Thanked 684 Times in 453 Posts
    Rep Power
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    As much as I loathe my Corsa, the one thing it does have that makes up for it is one of those Anti-Dazzle rear view mirrors. Just twist the knob underneath and bam, I can still see the behind but it's dimmed it down - no more idiots in luxury cars getting up my rear with their lights on full power.. bleh, don't get me started on tailgaters...
    Funnily enough since the clocks went back, my rear-view mirror is permanently in this position..

  15. Thanks to Gatt from:

    Fleetwood (18th November 2013)

  16. #44
    Fleetwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    757
    Thank Post
    188
    Thanked 107 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Funnily enough since the clocks went back, my rear-view mirror is permanently in this position..
    Haha, likewise! I sort of use it also to 'block' the distaction of the people who get too close/try to intimidate you on the road. It helps not being able to see them lingering around in the corner of my eye

    I'm not sure I could live without it now, I use it more often than probably needed. I think the only time I set it back is when I need to reverse.
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 18th November 2013 at 12:06 PM.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. [Video] Traffic Light In Germany Lets You Play Pong
    By DaveP in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13th September 2012, 08:51 AM
  2. [Video] John Cleese likes Traffic Lights!
    By jon_Walsh in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th June 2011, 12:21 PM
  3. Build some traffic lights dt/ict
    By SimpleSi in forum Hardware
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th May 2010, 01:56 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18th December 2009, 12:11 PM
  5. Nagios Traffic Light
    By ChrisH in forum *nix
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20th November 2008, 04:37 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •