Poll: Appoaching traffic lights that are showing green I

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Traffic Lights in General; be prepared to slow down you never know what plonkers are going to try and skip a red light (especially ...

Thank Post
    be prepared to slow down you never know what plonkers are going to try and skip a red light (especially if its a junction)

as with any junction or road change you should be prepared to slow down not just at traffic lights! we also need a at what point do you use your headlights poll as i cant believe the numbers of people around my area forgetting to turn them on at 4.30pm!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz350b View Post
    be prepared to slow down you never know what plonkers are going to try and skip a red light (especially if its a junction)

as with any junction or road change you should be prepared to slow down not just at traffic lights! we also need a at what point do you use your headlights poll as i cant believe the numbers of people around my area forgetting to turn them on at 4.30pm!
    Let's top that with a "Are you that much of a tw@ that you put your fog lights on for NO F*&%!ING REASON?!" poll..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,635 Times in 1,825 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz350b View Post

My car has running lights anyway and the headlights come on automatically - which is fine until I am driving mrwITch's car which doesn't have the automatic function - then I become one of the idiots who forgets to turn my lights on at 4.30pm

Thank Post
    No DRL's but do have Auto Lights..

My car being Auto and the wifes being Manual is enough to remind me which one I am in...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    Let's top that with a "Are you that much of a tw@ that you put your fog lights on for NO F*&%!ING REASON?!" poll..
    Do you mean the red ones at the back? God I hate it, especially when it's wet and it produces a glare. The front ones don't worry me and don't see why it's an offence to have them on when it's not foggy.

Going to school the other day, a cyclist was behind me and even 400m away, his front light dazzled.
    Last edited by laserblazer; 17th November 2013 at 11:17 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Traffic lights are a Hazard, and you always approach a Hazard with caution. Generally this means proceed at a constant speed if it is safe to do so, whilst considering all other Hazards (weather conditions, is it a crossing point, etc).

There will be times when you have to speed up (within the constraints of the legal speed limits) once you are committed to passing through the lights, eg if they start to turn amber and it is unsafe to slow down to a clear stop before passing the stopping line.

It is considered safe practice to slow down when approaching a Hazard, to allow you sufficient time to assess it. When you slow down you become a Hazard yourself and must also take this into account.

See ... driving is an example that blokes *can* multi-task!

7. 2 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

laserblazer (18th November 2013), webman (17th November 2013)

Thank Post
    In my city the most of our trafficlights have numbers with countdown (hope I used this word correctly), so when you are near the crossroad you always can see the amount of time before the lights' chaning. it really helps make right decisions.Traffic Lights-1.jpg
    If there are no lnumbers on trafficlight, I ALAWAYS slow down. You can never know what other drivers can do, what is there in their minds. so it's better to get ready.

9. Thanks to Elison from:

E_G_R2 (18th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As a pedestrian who continually has to step back at lights here because of drivers who either think the red light doesn't apply, or they're simply not paying attention, I would like to say thank you to those of you paying attention and slowing down.

I see so many drivers who seem to think the amber light is a challenge!

Almost got hit by a range rover a few months ago - half way across the road, comes roaring through with a rather 'glam' looking older woman at the wheel, completely oblivious to the world around her. Did get hit when I lived in Lancaster, by a woman who was fiddling with lipstick when I was half way across the road. And a taxi driver who looked infuriated that I existed...

It isn't like I just dive into the road as soon as the lights change either. I always check both directions to make sure its safe, so some of these drivers are travelling far too fast for the location.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Do you mean the red ones at the back? God I hate it, especially when it's wet and it produces a glare. The front ones don't worry me and don't see why it's an offence to have them on when it's not foggy.

Going to school the other day, a cyclist was behind me and even 400m away, his front light dazzled.

• Fog Lamps when not need
    • Sitting on your brake lights instead of applying the handbrake and taking the car out of gear
    • These stupid sodding DLR/Front Fog/Spotlamps that sit on the front bumper...

The above 3 things REALLY annoy me!

IMHO DLR = Lazy! Just remember to put your sodding headlights on - it's not friggin' difficult (hint: if you dashboard / radio / ancillary controls are dark - your headlights aren't on! )
    They blind / dazzle me when they approach with them on (even more so when they also have their headlights on FULL BEAM too ).
    From behind (this mainly applies to the tailgating sub-species) and they have these on but NOT their headlamps, I cant alwasy see said moron eejit due to the location of these things and the lack of headlamps.

Rear fog lamps & "Sticky Brake Lamp Syndrome" are another cause of dazzling - especially when its dawn/dusk..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    • Fog Lamps when not need
    • Sitting on your brake lights instead of applying the handbrake and taking the car out of gear
    • These stupid sodding DLR/Front Fog/Spotlamps that sit on the front bumper...

The above 3 things REALLY annoy me!

IMHO DLR = Lazy!
    I don't know where this has come from (USA?) but ALL cars are now being fitted with them. They are NOT an alternative to headlights. They also serve to conceal cyclists rather well. As a biker, cyclist and car driver, I am perhaps unusually aware of the more "at risk" road users, yet I very nearly got a cyclist a while back. He has a proper bright LED lamp at the front, but was very well camouflaged by the DLRs on the Range Rover behind him.

Rear fog lamps & "Sticky Brake Lamp Syndrome" are another cause of dazzling - especially when its dawn/dusk..
    Manufacturers instruction for auto-boxed cars "hold the car on the foot brake".

But AMEN to Fog Lights; mine switch off with the engine, and need to be re-selected when turning back on, why not all of them?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,635 Times in 1,825 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    I don't know where this has come from (USA?) but ALL cars are now being fitted with them. They are NOT an alternative to headlights. They also serve to conceal cyclists rather well. As a biker, cyclist and car driver, I am perhaps unusually aware of the more "at risk" road users, yet I very nearly got a cyclist a while back. He has a proper bright LED lamp at the front, but was very well camouflaged by the DLRs on the Range Rover behind him.

Manufacturers instruction for auto-boxed cars "hold the car on the foot brake".

But AMEN to Fog Lights; mine switch off with the engine, and need to be re-selected when turning back on, why not all of them?
    The new rule for running lights comes from Europe:
    http://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/02/...lights-244280/
    I can see that they might be a problem for bikes but I think they can be useful - my last car was dark grey and almost invisible against the tarmac.
    Last edited by witch; 18th November 2013 at 10:42 AM.

Thank Post
    As a pedestrian who continually has to step back at lights here because of drivers who either think the red light doesn't apply, or they're simply not paying attention, I would like to say thank you to those of you paying attention and slowing down.
    If it's a pedestrian controlled crossing, then there is a sensible delay between the red light and the green man. If you are having regular problems with vehicles as you attempt to cross, then they are either seriously jumping red lights (which I doubt) or you are pre-empting the green man, which is just as bad.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    If it's a pedestrian controlled crossing, then there is a sensible delay between the red light and the green man. If you are having regular problems with vehicles as you attempt to cross, then they are either seriously jumping red lights (which I doubt) or you are pre-empting the green man, which is just as bad.
    They're jumping the red light. The lights are those style with a green man on the control panel only, so I'm looking at that for indication of when to go. I don't set off until the green man appears and the beeping starts. As I said, I don't dive into the road even then, I check still.

However, that said, the red light is still a red light. Which means cars are supposed to have stopped anyway!
    Last edited by localzuk; 18th November 2013 at 10:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow, you lot are lucky to live in places where you get to make decisions like that.

Round here its just a decision whether to crawl over the lights or not

Thank Post
    I already have my DRLs. They're called Side Lights, funnily enough they've been around for a very long time

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast